Three

Three

A Chapter by Isemay

Jacob took his seat across from Grace again. “Well, I think this is probably the worst first date I’ve been on.”


“I am,” Grace covered her flushed face, “so, so sorry.”


“Nah, it’s-it’s fine. How long have you known him? He’s an ex?” He took a swig of his beer.


“I met him tonight, actually. I’m never like that, I, um… You’re going to think I’m crazy.” She looked at him nervously before reaching into her giant purse and pulling out a small notebook. “I’ve been dreaming about him for months. Almost a year.”


Taking the notebook, he opened it up to look over her class notes and drawings of parts of Mr. Redner’s face. “That actually makes me feel better.” Jacob gave her a wry smile as he handed it back, “I lost out on a date with a gorgeous girl to the man of her dreams.”


She started to laugh and he seemed to relax returning her smile more genuinely. “Still, at least I was a cheap date. Let me buy you a beer.”


“Deal.” 


Two hours later, after having chatted about the course, families, and dreams, she drove him back to the parking lot, making sure to give him a hug before she drove away. He was a decent enough guy and she didn’t want to make him feel bad about the evening. 


Heading home Grace stopped by the store, picking up some food and drinks just in case she decided to invite Eli back to her apartment. She wandered through the aisles trying to figure out what a guy like that would eat. There were really only a handful of things she could make well, and playing to her strengths seemed the better idea. A few ingredients and some decent wines, grabbing some pastries too was probably a good idea. Croissants and a coffee cake.


Once she finally got home she unloaded her groceries and started to clean. It wasn’t like she was going to invite him over tonight but maybe lunch tomorrow if he didn’t have plans. It was 11:30 by the time she had the laundry going in the basement and the Mississippi pot roast everyone always raved about in the crock pot.


Realizing the time she went to grab her phone, noticing the three missed calls. “D****t!” She could never remember to take it off of silent. Flopping onto the sofa she stared at the notifications. He had tried to call. Should she call him back? Wait for him to call again? 


It rang in her hand and she answered it immediately. “Hey.”


“Hey, I was starting to think you didn’t want to talk to me.” His voice was warm and she thought he sounded relieved.


“No!” Grace laughed, “I left my stupid phone on silent.”


“How did the rest of your date go?” 


“Jacob is sweet. The reason I don’t go out with people I don’t know is so that if things don’t work out at least I’m with good company.”


Eli laughed, “That’s smart. I hope you’ll make an exception for me, though.”


“I,um, I kind of feel like I know you… even though I don’t if that makes any sense.” She settled back on the sofa putting her feet over the arm.


“It does. I feel the same way.” His voice was like velvet and she wanted to wrap herself up in it.


“Do you have plans-” They both started at once and she laughed covering her face.


“You first.” Grace smiled up at the ceiling feeling giddy.


“No, I think calling four times in one night gets me a pass, this time you go first.” Eli was teasing her and it made her giggle like an idiot.


“I guess that’s fair. Do you have plans for lunch tomorrow? I threw in a roast to slow cook. And I was going to make some real mashed potatoes and cheddar bread.” She held her breath for a second, that was her best ‘I’m trying to impress your folks’ meal. If he hated it or, oh god, if he was a vegetarian…


“That sounds amazing but… I do have plans for lunch.” There was a long pause. “Can we do dinner instead?”


“I have evening classes, we’re going over a few things before exams next week.” Grace kicked herself for not waiting to put the roast in. “Sunday is my next free day. I was supposed to be studying and working on a few things, though.”


“I was supposed to head back before then.” The loud creak suggested he’d thrown himself onto a bed. 


“I guess it’s not meant to be.” She tried to keep her tone light, she’d only met him once. “It was... nice to meet you though.” Even saying the words felt like she was being deflated. Ice cream, she should have bought ice cream.


“What about tonight?” Eli sounded determined and the bed creaked as if he were getting to his feet.


“I don’t-I don’t know if that’s a good idea. I like you, but…” Grace stared at the ceiling debating it, a one night stand wasn’t really her thing.


“But?” He waited while she tried to decide if she’d kick herself more for sleeping with him or for not sleeping with him. “Grace?”


“But you’re not going to be sticking around, I don’t-I’m not a one night stand kind of girl.” She was already kicking herself. “I’m sorry. I, um, I gotta go.”


Hanging up, she felt like she’d made a horrible mistake. Would it have been that bad to have a one night stand with the guy she’d been dreaming about for months? It might have kicked her dreams up a notch at least. “You are such an idiot, Grace.”


Heaving herself up off of the sofa she grabbed her purse and keys. There was a little gas station convenience store not far. Hefting the purse, she decided to stick some money in her pocket instead and just walk. It was the middle of the night but the fresh air would do her some good.


She checked the washers and dryers before she headed out and strolled in the quiet. Sometimes she wished there were fewer street lights, seeing the stars would be a nice change. At the gas station she was the only customer, the cashier was looking over his textbooks in the quiet and she nodded to him as she walked in.


Ben & Jerry’s was too expensive for casual consumption on her allowance, she eyed the flavors tonight though. Half Baked and The Tonight Dough. Grace snagged them both and a big bag of Chex mix. She already had wine and she could throw on a good action film, something with no romance at all. John Wick was always a good one, or The Equalizer maybe. A strong hero and a lot of a*s kicking. 


Grace took her food upstairs first and then went back down to check laundry again, throwing the last of it in the dryers and hauling up the dry clothes. She was ready to settle on the sofa with her wine and Chex, Ben & Jerry’s would come after that. If she could stay awake. That she wasn’t particularly tired was something she contemplated as she brought her clothes up the stairs. 


Her heart almost stopped when she saw the giant dog in front of her door. Looking around frantically for its owner before it saw her she tried not to make a sound. Dogs that size were supposed to be an optical illusion or something. They could sense fear and that was an awful lot of dog that might decide she looked like dinner. 


The soft yip brought her attention back to the animal, now grovelling on its belly, in front of her door, tail wagging. It rolled and she came closer, slowly. “Where are your people at, big puppy?” 


It came up to sitting with its tongue lolling out and tail still wagging furiously.


“Hello?” She peered around the corner trying to find someone it might belong to. “I don’t know where you belong, I don’t think people are even allowed to keep dogs your size here, big guy.”


Setting her basket down she opened her door wondering if she should call someone, it seemed like a nice enough dog. It was just terrifyingly huge. The animal bolted in, sniffing around and then hopping onto her sofa like it owned it.


“Well… I guess I could use the company tonight.” She posted a large note on her door. If you’re looking for your giant dog, I have it. Please knock.


The dog, at least, looked perfectly content making her sofa look like it belonged in a doll’s house. Grace got out a pan and filled it with water, putting it on the kitchen floor. “I don’t have any dog food but… I do have some raw chicken.” She looked at the dog, “Are you a hungry puppy?”


The dog uncurled itself from the sofa and came over to lap at the water and sniff at the still wrapped chicken before wandering off, sniffing as it went. “I guess not.” Pouring her chex into a bowl and getting a bottle of wine out of the fridge she got her coffee table set up the way she wanted and settled in to fold clothes while watching John Wick.


When the clothes were folded she shoved the basket to the side and curled on the sofa munching and sipping. The dog came and snuggled up almost on top of her making her laugh. “You know, puppy. I was having a not so great night.” Grace rubbed it’s head and behind its ears. “You are such a good dog. How could somebody let you wander off?”


It started to lick her face and try to snuggle closer.


With the company and the wine, staying up started to seem like a silly idea. The bed was calling. She yawned and the dog tried to lick the inside of her mouth making her laugh again and try to push it off. “Silly dog, hop down. I think it’s time for bed, I’ve been up too long tonight already.”


Grace got ready for bed and climbed in. The giant dog wasn’t far behind. Maybe a pet wasn’t such a bad idea. If nobody came to claim this one… She fell asleep snuggled up to its furry back.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on January 11, 2021
Last Updated on January 11, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay