Eleven

Eleven

A Chapter by Isemay

Grace chatted with Mrs. Germain and Bas about the things to do around town. There wasn’t an awful lot. But supposedly there were a few places to socialize, and some great hiking trails not too far away in the reserve.


The dark-haired man suddenly jumped like he’d been kicked, looking terrified as he bolted out into the wood shop. 


“What…”


Mrs. Germain spoke to the man she thought was called Aurel firmly, “Go find out what’s happened.” To Grace she murmured, “I’m sure it’s nothing,” with a smile before stepping away.


Jacob made his way over quickly. “What just happened?”


“I don’t know. I think something happened to Mrs. Coiro, her brother has some sort of sixth sense apparently. They’re twins.”


The sound of someone running past the break room made them look over and Jacob’s brow furrowed. “I thought Eli was just making some sort of excuse when he mentioned her health.”


“No.” Mr Germain had come up to them, also looking at the doorway. “She was diagnosed with seizures. That isn’t all she has, but…”


“Stress isn’t good for people with that kind of disorder. And Eli set her off about her brother.” Grace covered her mouth.


“It isn’t Eli’s fault. She can handle stress as well as anyone I’ve met. It’s just something she’s still trying to manage.” Mr. Germain sounded reassuring.


“Working with lead can’t be good for her.” Jacob looked at the boss with a nervous frown. “She’s all about safety, but lead can cause serious health problems.”


“I know. It’s why I insist on every possible measure for safety. Reducing her time spent working with it may or may not help, but she needs some prodding to take better care of herself.”


Jacob noticed Grace tearing up. “Are you alright?”


“She’s just so sweet and enthusiastic…”


“She’s also tougher than she seems. Don’t mistake that sweet exterior for a weak one.” Mr. Germain squeezed her shoulder. 


“Sebastian, I think they’re going to have to cancel going to Unwind or go without Mrs. Coiro.” Mrs. Germain came back into the room looking concerned. “Bas sent Remi out for the bag. They’re putting her in Eli’s office to recover.”


“She’ll be upset if they sit around and worry, she wants them to go have a good time.” He hugged her and rubbed her back. “Vivi hates plans being changed because of her health more than anything.” He looked around for a moment. “Ethan, you’re going to be in charge of taking care of our guests until Eli is available again. They’ll probably want to go to Ruelle’s before heading out to Unwind.”


“Got it!” One of the largest men in the room grinned. “I’ll call the wife and tell her you’ve ordered me out to karaoke.”


Several of the other men laughed. “She’s going to come out to make sure you can’t have fun without her.”


“There is no fun without my dear,” someone coughed, “sweet,” the laughing had started again, “Harmony.”


“She has to make sure no one buys you another drink.” 


“I think they put his picture up behind the bar after her ‘there are many a******s, this one is mine’ performance.”


Grace tried to shake off her worry as the guys clustered around Ethan for details and he promised to tell them on the drive back to the B&B, but she couldn’t stop thinking about checking on Genevieve. Something in the pit of her stomach was twisting. 


“Mrs. Germain? Do you think I could go check on-”


“It’s worrying you that badly?” The woman wrapped an arm around her and squeezed.


“It is, I feel sick to my stomach about it.” She gave the woman an apologetic look.


“I’ll have Eli take you to Ruelle’s afterward.” 


She stayed with Mrs. Germain while the orders were given to have things cleaned up and packed away and followed to Eli’s office afterward. Her worry didn’t get better when she saw the small looking woman laid on the desk with damp paper towels across her eyes. 


Remi, flanked by Bas and Eli stood close by discussing something in a low tone.


“How is she?”


Bas glanced at Grace and then back at Mrs. Germain, “It’s not something I want to talk about here. Sibbi probably won’t wake up for hours.” He glanced at her again with something like annoyance. “Don’t send anyone out to clean up the broken glass. I need her awake to help me understand what happened, if people have cleaned everything up it’s not going to work as well.”


“Eli take Grace with you. I need to speak to Bas. Get her home safely, Remi.”


“No!” The two men had started to move and Bas’ loud interjection stopped them. “I need to stay with her. This was curiosity not malice, but it hurt her.” Bas touched his sister’s head. “It was in the glass. I don’t want her in the car without taking precautions.”


Grace felt like she was listening to some kind of gibberish.


“Would it be better to take her home another way?” Mrs. Germain was looking at the unconscious woman speculatively.


“I don’t think it would work well, and I want her home as quickly as possible. The house should be safe. I go over it every day and I make her clean and recharge her defenses twice a week to keep them strong.”


“I’ll come with you. We need to talk.”


“Of course. I want her in our car, there will be room with her in the back for you to ride with me in the front, unless you want to drive.” Bas inclined his head with a faint smile.


“I’ve been wanting to drive that car.” She smiled wryly. “Let’s go. Remi, Eli, follow behind. Grace, ride with Eli.” The way she commanded everyone made Grace think she was something more than the boss’ wife.


Following obediently, Grace watched as Remi carried his wife like a limp doll and Bas looked like he was praying or casting a spell or something on the car before Remi carefully laid Genevieve in the backseat of the Mercedes. Eli ushered her into the back of an SUV like the one she’d arrived in, giving her a kiss that felt somehow fearful before he got into the driver’s seat. Remi climbed into the passenger seat.


“Follow them closely. I have a bad feeling, Eli.” Remi’s eyes were glued to the car in front of them.


After a long few moments of silence, Grace asked, “Why did she want to drive that car? It looks nice, but it’s an old car, isn't it?” Anything to lift the oppressive silence, even guys talking cars would be welcome.


“That’s part of my wife’s inheritance. She can’t drive it, so Bas does. She loves that car though.” Remi seemed to relax just slightly. “Mrs. Germain loves Mercedes, but since she didn’t know how to drive stick until recently…” 


“She hadn’t been able to drive it.” Grace nodded. “Genevieve seems like she would be the type to let her learn on the car.”


Remi barked a laugh, “Not on that car. She goes out and cleans that car herself, because Bas doesn’t do it right. We even have a vacuum dedicated to that car.”


“She didn't take it well when she was told she couldn’t drive anymore.” Eli glanced back at her with a half smile.


“A car is independence, with her health, I mean, I can see why it might mean a lot.”


“Relying on others hasn’t come easily to her.” Remi nodded. “But she’s a lot better now, and happier than she was.”


Conversation died again, but the quiet didn’t feel quite so oppressive now. Grace stared out of the window, between the tint and the fading light she couldn’t see much. They were on a tree lined road now and no other cars had passed for a while.


“Why did Bas grab her purse?” Remi asked quietly just before she felt something slam into the SUV.


Shaking her head gingerly to clear it, Grace realized she was inside the SUV, but on the ceiling, It was on its roof. There was howling and snarling outside of the vehicle and she didn’t know what to do. Staying inside seemed like a bad idea. Carefully crawling out through a broken window, she saw the Mercedes had run head on into a tree across the empty street. Not seeing the source of the sounds and realizing they were going farther away she moved to the car.


Mrs. Germain and Bas were bloodied and unconscious, still in their seats. Genevieve was crumpled in the floorboard of the backseat in a way that didn’t look healthy. Should they even be moved? Grace looked around for Remi and Eli. They must have decided… torn clothes were scattered across the ground.


This suddenly felt like a place she really didn’t want to be. She opened the car door and climbed into the backseat feeling for Genevieve's pulse. Slow and steady. That was good right? Reaching forward she checked Mrs. Germain and Bas. Everybody was alive at least. She took a breath and tried to think. Hadn’t she read something about drunks and unconscious people being better off in crashes? Fewer serious injuries or something… she should just wait. The car wasn’t smoking, no one was coughing or seemed in trouble.


She screamed as something grabbed her leg through the door she’d left open. Turning, she started screaming in earnest, it looked like a gargoyle or a demon made out of stone, but moving. It yanked her leg and that was the last thing she remembered.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

25 Views
Added on January 11, 2021
Last Updated on January 11, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay