Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Twenty-seven

Twenty-seven

A Chapter by Isemay

Grace looked around the parking lot. The pineapple on the sign nearby looked cheerful despite the fact she couldn’t read at the moment. Cam had told her to wait and even if he hadn’t she would have hesitated to leave the car in just a robe. He’d gone into the mall, leaving her with Genevieve in the new car, a very roomy sedan of some sort. It had looked vaguely familiar and she was almost certain her parents had a different model of it.


Her mind wandered. She wondered if Fitz and the valet, a very harried looking older man, would come back first or if it would be Cam. Genevieve stirred slightly in her drugged sleep, shifting into a more comfortable position with a sigh.


Fidgeting in the back seat, she tried to think of a way to entertain herself. For a huge parking lot there weren’t any people to watch, nothing really to look at except the pineapple. This area seemed to be kind of empty, even of cars. Maybe it was the time of day.


Cam came back with his hands full of bags and lifted one at her with a smile. He unlocked the car and tossed a bag to her. “Put those on. You can come sit upfront with me and have something to eat. I grabbed some Korean fried chicken and some cookies, I even picked up some iced coffees.”


“Yes!” Grace beamed, “That sounds fantastic!” 


He laughed and started unpacking things onto the dash as she pulled out the clothes. There were two identical shift dresses but one looked larger, that would be for her. And a couple of pairs of leggings, she took the larger of those as well. And two loose open sweaters that had no fasteners. She put Genevieve’s back into the bag and put it at the woman’s feet.


“I grabbed two of the same in different sizes. You can’t go wrong with grey and black.”


“True. I usually like a little more color but these look good.”


Cam laughed and gave her a smile as she looked up.


“Thanks.”


“You’re welcome. Get dressed and come up here!”


Grace pulled on the leggings, wishing she had a pair of underwear, and then tried her best to put the loose dress on without showing everything under her robe, before slipping on the sweater. The flip flops went back on her feet and she hopped out of the car to move to the front.


He turned the key and started playing some music she hadn’t heard before as they ate, chatting about the bands and how he’d found them. She was much more interested in the chicken.


“Are you listening?” Cam gave her an annoyed look as she licked her fingers.


“What?” She furrowed her brow and listened to the song for a second, “The song is nice.”


Sighing, he rubbed his temples. “We can talk music when you aren’t so muddled. That’s my fault.”


“How much longer until we get-”


He waved his hand. “Do you know where we are now?”


“No.”


“Try to guess.”


Grace frowned and looked at the food and then out at the pineapple. “A mall maybe? South Carolina has a lot of pineapples. But this doesn’t feel like Charleston and I haven’t had this chicken before, it’s good.”


Cam looked pleasantly surprised. “South Carolina is a better guess than I could have hoped for. Make sure you tell Nev when she wakes up.” He smiled ruefully as a car pulled up next to them. “Look who’s here. It’s time for you to go back to the back, Gracie. Here, take these cookies and your iced coffee.”


“Thanks, Cam.” She gave him a smile and laughed as he leaned in to give her a peck on the lips.


The passenger side door jerked open. “You’re eating in my car?!” The accent was odd to her ears.


“It’s my car. You’re the valet.” Fitz sounded amused. “Ride in the back with the girls.”


The man looked like he’d been kicked in the balls and Gracie got out, being careful not to spill anything.


“I’ll be careful not to make a mess-”


“He can clean it, Gracie.” Fitz was grinning. “She is sweet though, Cam. I’ll look forward to moving to your in-law’s vineyard someday.” 


Cam laughed and started clearing the dash, “Get in, get in. I want to get home and get settled. We can all start making plans then.”


Grace took the middle seat, letting the valet help her juggle things and get settled before he buckled himself in. She offered him a cookie as the two witches up front spoke quietly. It was almost as if they had a bubble around them.


“Thank you.” He took it and held it with a faint smile. “You’re Gracie?”


“Grace, Grace Lucroy. I haven’t caught your name.”


“They don’t use it. I’m Jacob Thomas, everyone used to call me Coby.”


“It’s nice to meet you, Coby. I’m sorry about eating in the car I didn’t-”


He breathed a laugh. “I don’t know why I got upset, it’s not my car. I’m just the valet.”


A cold chill ran down her spine. She wanted to argue with him but something told her not to. The thought crossed her mind that she might be that way in the spaces when she couldn't remember things and then Genevieve’s words played back in her memory, ‘By the time you understand there isn’t anyone worse, Grace, we’ll be so close to death that you’ll no longer feel fear or anger.’


“Are you alright?” Coby was giving her a concerned look.


“I’m-I’m ok, Coby. This is Genevieve, she’s asleep right now, they keep drugging her.”


He turned his concerned gaze to the slumbering woman next to her. “Why?”


“I don’t really understand why. She’s sweet though, you’ll like her when she wakes up.”


The older man smiled and relaxed. “It’ll be good to have some nice people in the house.”


“They’ll be in the basement of the rental.” Fitz spoke up. “We’re moving over there. You can put anyone who made reservations in the bigger house.”


“It’s empty for the moment. The family cancelled.” Coby frowned. “Why the rental?”


“You’ll be installing locks on the basement door. They need a camping toilet-”


“You can’t lock people in the-”


“I can do anything I want.” Fitz’s voice sounded dangerous. “If you want to sleep in my house and not in the shed you won’t argue.”


“Of course, sir.” Coby bowed his head.


“Why are you putting us in a basement?” Grace asked with a frown.


“I need her awake and she’ll try to escape.” Fitz relaxed. “You’ll take care of her, prepare her food, do the cleaning. He’s going to put in some chains so that she can’t go far and you’ll be locked in if no one is there to supervise.”


“It’s a finished basement.” Coby tried to reassure her. “I can make it nice for you girls. There’s a little bar down there and a pool table. A fold out sofa bed would fit if I take out the card table.”


“Oh nice! Like a game room!” 


The man beamed, “Ya! Everyone likes the idea but not many actually use it.”


“We have one at home but it’s air hockey and video games.”


“On vacation you try to get your kids away from the video games.” He laughed and shook his head, “But air hockey isn’t a bad idea.”


“How is Nev doing?” Fitz interrupted them.


“She was asleep.” Grace checked the woman and found her still sleeping hard. “She still is.”


“When she wakes up, have her put those clothes on.” Cam glanced back in the rearview. “I know you don’t want her dressed, Fitz, but in a sedan it’s more noticable and someone might-”


“It’s fine. She can undress again at the house.”


Grace sipped on her iced coffee and nibbled on a cookie and things fell into a slightly uncomfortable silence. Coby kept smiling down at his cookie.


“How far is it to-”


“Gracie…” Cam’s tone was chiding and she sighed.


“It’s a long drive.” Coby nodded. “We should stop at a hotel for the night.”


“No hotels.” Fitz glanced back with amusement. “Get some rest, valet. I don’t want you to fall asleep later and kill us all.”


“I know a little hole in the wall place that would do.” Cam sounded thoughtful. “It wouldn't hurt us and I’d hate to get this far and have us all die in a wreck. If the wolves manage to follow us that far he’ll definitely call us. There’s an airport nearby too, we can have him direct them there.


“A shower and a bed… It’s clean.”


“Fine. I want separate rooms.”


“We should probably get a suite and share.” Cam laughed, “No one can stay up all night to make sure she doesn’t murder you in your sleep.”


“The valet-”


“Will fold like a house of cards if the Sibyl-”


Fitz hit the passenger side window with his fist.


There was silence for a moment.


“We’ll get a suite. I could use a good night’s sleep but she’s in my bed and you can figure something out for the ordinaries.”


“It shouldn’t be a problem.”


Grace wanted to speak up and remind him that Genevieve was married but Cam gave her a warning glance in the mirror and Coby touched her leg and shook his head nervously. The bubble seemed to go back up and she could see Cam speaking but there was no sound. 


She leaned toward Coby and whispered, “She’s married. She’s crazy about her husband.”


He nodded nervously. “But you can’t argue with him. Bad things happen. Her husband isn’t here and we’ll all be sharing the room, just let it go.”


It didn't seem right but she didn’t know what she could do. After she finished her cookie and most of her drink, Coby finally ate his. At the point she was going to risk breaking the silence to ask about a bathroom break they pulled off onto smaller roads in a more city-like area. The motel they pulled up to didn’t look terrible but it didn’t look great either. She wished she could read the sign.


“Hm?” Genevieve lifted her head and looked around as the car stopped.


“There’s some clothes for you to put on. I’ll help you.”


“While you do that I’ll go in and talk to the owner. Valet, there should be a place down the road a bit to buy some toiletries and maybe get some dinner. You can walk.”


“He probably needs to go pee, I know I do.” Grace frowned at Cam. “Why not let him go in and then-”


“When you let the ordinaries talk they think they can give you orders.” Fitz snorted and turned to lean back into their seat. He stopped and looked at Genevieve.


“Allow him his dignity.” The woman’s eyes were glowing gold and her face was grim. “God may protect, you will serve the Sibyl until we are freed or we are dead.”


Coby drew in a deep breath and then shuddered. “I can use the bathroom at the store and I’ll take the car. I can clean it out and get a few things. Drinks, dinner, toiletries, everything you girls need.”


“You want to challenge me?” Fitz smiled but it made Grace shiver.


“My brother is bringing the Supplanter. He follows on the heel. When we challenge the Grey the walls will tremble.”


He stepped out of the car and Grace heard him muttering. Genevieve stepped on her foot and pressed down. He peered into the car incredulously and the woman grinned at him. 


“Justice…”


“Lloyd…” 


“You were told-”


“If you call me by my right name I will call you by yours. We agreed on Nev and Grey.”


Fitz scowled. “Get dressed. You’re getting another dose.”


The car door slammed and Grace hurriedly began helping the woman put on the clothes Cam had gotten. 


“I need your flip flops, Grace.”  Genevieve gave Coby a look and he nodded.


“I’ll pick up some socks and shoes.”


“And any jewelry you see. Anything will do. Cheap glass is fine, something with real stone is better. No diamond.”


His door was jerked open and Coby stepped out Grace slipped off her flips flops before following him. The older man circled the car and opened Genevieve’s door helping her out, receiving a hug and a kiss on his cheek. Under Grace’s feet the asphalt felt rough and cold.


“Let’s go in.” Fitz grabbed the other woman by the arm and pulled her along. 


Coby gave Grace a nod and she followed them as he got into the driver’s seat. Inside, Cam was arguing with someone.


“You’re not staying for free.”


“Where is the valet, I need him to pay.” Cam glanced at them with a frown.


“He’s gone on a grocery run with the car. You’ll get paid when he gets back.”


“You can have a room when I get paid.”


“You bought that ring for a purpose.” Genevieve pointed at the large gold ring with a black stone on the man’s hand.


“My ex-wife bought it for me but I wasn’t going to give it back in the divorce.”


“May I?” She tried to step forward but Fitz held her.


“What are you planning to do?”


“I can fix it for him, make it do what it was intended to do.”


The man snorted. “What was it intended to do?”


“Black stones offer protection, that one…” She stepped forward and this time Fitz went with her, “That’s black agate?” Genevieve reached out and touched it. “It is. It will give you clarity and balance. Do you have salt? I can clean it for you and restore it to its purpose.”


“What kind of witch is she and where did you get her?” The man looked baffled and less angry.


“That doesn’t matter.” Cam rubbed his temples. “But if any wolves come in looking for us, send them to the airport and tell them we took a plane to South Carolina.”


“Why would wolves be looking for you? You don’t mess around with those.”


“She’s a Sibyl.” Grace spoke up. “She-” The world went black.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

24 Views
Added on January 12, 2021
Last Updated on January 12, 2021
Tags: witches, werewolves, drama, romance, supernatural


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay