Seven

Seven

A Chapter by Isemay

“Merciless Marravae.” Volas took back his dagger as she offered it, relinquishing the spear. “Let me see your form with the spear.” Everything he wanted was standing there next to him and he couldn’t keep the desire from his voice. It was clear her father doted on her, letting a daughter hunt was one thing, teaching her to fight was another.


“I think that’s enough for tonight.” Gaeleath sounded concerned, as a brother should when his sister was being invited to spar.


“Agreed, her form is mine to gaze upon.” Myrin advanced, stopping as Volas snarled wordlessly at him.


“My brother and my intended think that’s enough for tonight, I’ll defer to their judgement.” His Marravae stepped away, moving to the unworthy Myrin and offering him the spear. She attached herself to his side returning to the fire.


“What must I do to show you my worth, Marravae?” Volas took his seat by the fire gazing longingly at her. She was meant to be the roots of his tree, the longer he was near her the more strongly he felt it.


Marravae shook her head gently, “Are you capable of putting your own selfish desires aside for the good of your people? Myrin is my choice and you need to maintain the peace.”


“I am capable.” This was not going as he had planned it.


He ate sullenly as the three spoke amongst themselves. Marravae was looking forward to the hunt tomorrow even if she wasn’t permitted to wield a spear. 


She began to regale them with a tale of a hunt with her father, stalking a deer in the wood. They took it down with bow and arrow and as they approached it a large bear decided it was his instead. Her father and the pair of guards with them insisted they should just leave the animal. Marravae had disagreed, shouting at the animal and trying to chase it off. The three men with her were forced to take the behemoth down as it charged her.


To hear her tell it the three had let loose a hail of spears and arrows to make a defending army proud. That was the moment her father forbade her to go hunting without him. “He has the bear in his trophy room.”


Gaeleath laughed, “You aren’t going to tell him about the plaque beneath it? Marravae’s Impetuousness. He’s threatened to give it to her as a wedding gift.”


“That’s what you meant about foolishly believing she’d behave?” Myrin looked mildly apprehensive. “I’m taking a wife who would shout down a bear? Keeping you safe seems a great deal more difficult than I expected, my dove.”


“I’ll try to be worth the extra effort.” Marravae gave him an impish look.


“You would be worth war and a bitter death.” Volas muttered, making heads turn toward him. “Beauty, fire, loyalty. You will strengthen your husband’s line.”


“That’s my intention. But I don’t want war, I want peace.” Marravae gave him a half smile. “Tell me, Volas, what is required to warm relations between Arek and Cuphisia.”


“Give me a chance to win you.” 


“What about a chance to see that Myrin is worthy?” Gaeleath interjected. “I’m almost certain that’s what my sister had in mind when she convinced him to hunt boar for another day.”


Volas looked into the golden eyes that were peering intently at him. “If he kills a boar without aid I will think better of him. If he fails, I would have you end the arrangement.”


“I won’t end the arrangement.” 


“I will. If…” Myrin stroked Marravae’s cheek as she turned her head sharply, “If I fail to kill a boar without help, I’ll concede my unworthiness. But if I should succeed, I’ll require something more concrete than a vague ‘I’ll think better of him’. I’m risking my exquisite Marravae, and that is too rich a wager.”


The chance was there for him to take. Myrin would fail, Marravae would be free to become his. “Name your price.”


“If I succeed, you’ll give Bridgeburn to Marravae as a wedding gift.”


The contested town and bridge would have been a high price if his father hadn’t been considering giving it as a wedding gift regardless. “Done.”


The pensive, slightly offended look on Marravae’s face told him she didn’t enjoy being wagered so lightly.


“With that, your Highnesses, I’m retiring for the evening.” Marravae rose from the fire giving them a curt nod and moved to her tent.


“I think you’ve upset my sister.” Gaeleath sighed as she disappeared into the tent.


“She knows her worth, and to be offered up so easily when she would not have parted with you,” Volas gave the now bemused Myrin a small smile. “You may have shown her what I could not. When you fail tomorrow, she’ll be free of you and I’ll begin to court her in earnest.” 


“This hunting trip was intended to warm relations between us, Volas. Perhaps it was a mistake for me to enlist her assistance before I’ve wed her, but I’ll give you what you ask for. You’ll see that I’m worthy of such an exquisite creature. And I hope we will have warmer relations.” Myrin rose looking toward Marravae’s tent. “I need to make certain she understands. I hadn’t thought your merciless sister so tenderhearted, Gaeleath.” He turned as if expecting the Cemiri to laugh at the jest.


“I advise against it. If you’ve bruised her feelings and not just her pride, you’ll find out how merciless she can be.” Gaeleath nodded curtly to them both, departing for his own tent.


“She does have a temper.” Myrin murmured to himself with a smile. “Please forgive me if I don’t stay to entertain you, Volas.” 


Volas watched as the Cuphisian Prince strode to Marravae’s tent and entered as if it were his. The speed and startlement with which he was ejected gave him the first unqualified pleasure he’d felt since he’d seen Myrin take her arm and walk with her. It must have shown on his face because Myrin didn’t approach the fire again. He stalked instead to Gaeleath’s tent.


The morning would bring his hopes closer to fruition, by tomorrow evening, Marravae would be seated next to him.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on February 26, 2021
Last Updated on February 26, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay