Fourteen

Fourteen

A Chapter by Isemay

Marravae let Volas pull her into an embrace in his tent. 


He stroked her hair and murmured in his tongue in a soothing tone, <“This will not go unpunished. He’s a coward and a poisoner, my huntress. I will see him bleed for the pain he has caused you. You should be kept safe, always.”>


“Volas,” lifting her head she tried to push aside the churning feelings of stupidity, shame, and helplessness to put on a wry smile, “If I were kept safe always I wouldn’t be allowed to hunt.”


The Arek’s dark eyes glittered, “I should have known you would understand my tongue.”


“I speak it a little but the horsemaster laughs himself sick at my pronunciation.”


“The Cemiri accent is charming.” He brushed her cheek with a boyish smile, “I have always enjoyed it.”


A servant pushed his way into the tent, “Forgive me, your Highness, Prince Myrin has ordered the tents struck. Princess Marravae is to be taken immediately to the palace to see a healer.”


“The wager…” Marravae felt her insides twist. Perhaps he never intended to keep it and the tainted drink was some kind of cruel game. She didn’t even know if she wanted him to try but the apology had made her think for a moment that perhaps it had been a mistake or a misunderstanding. She wanted to think it was a mistake or a misunderstanding. Her head throbbed and she realized Gaeleath was walking her out of the tent and Volas was shouting.


“She’s ill because you poisoned her to slither into her bed!”


“That’s a lie!” Myrin dropped his voice but it still carried. “I’ll perform whatever penance her King and mine ask for my poor behavior, but the matter will be smoothed over and she will be my wife. I didn’t know she’d drunk from the glass I intended for her brother, I had no way of knowing-”


<“You’re a coward and a liar, unworthy filth, you wretched-”>


“The hunt will be resumed when she’s well and I’m more certain that I won’t be the creature on the end of the spear.”


Gaeleath stroked her back and held her close, whispering, “I didn't actually mean to point the spear at him.”


It made her want to laugh, she buried her face in his shirt.


Volas returned shortly and issued a quiet command to a servant stuffing bedding into the back of a nearby cart. “The carriage will be taken to my lodging. On my father’s command I travel with a healer. I trust him more than any Cuphisian.”


“I won’t argue.” Gaeleath kissed the top of her head. “I intend to take her home as soon as she feels well enough to travel.”


“I will accompany you.”  


By the time the cart had been fashioned into something that might be called a carriage if you didn’t look too closely at it, several of the hunters came to assist her into the back. Gaeleath climbed in as well to get her settled and find a comfortable place.


“Your Highness…” One of the men cleared his throat and looked a little nervous, “We have orders that you and Prince Volas are to ride alongside if you wish but there are to be four of us guarding her on her way to the palace.


“I’m not leaving my sister’s side and if you attempt to remove me, I promise you I will make certain my father considers it an act of war.”


The men seemed to take him at his word, getting into place without further argument. Gaeleath held her hand and Marravae tried to make sense of things. At best Myrin had tried to taint her brother’s drink, something nearly unforgivable. At worst he’d done what Volas had said and given her something to be able to bed her… but she wasn’t even certain if she would have refused him if she hadn’t been given something. There had been reasons, she remembered feeling foggy but having reasons to allow it.


“I know that look, Marravae.” Gaeleath squeezed her hand speaking softly in Cemiriss, “You’re trying to work things out in your head like why the old wars started. Or how the Areks could eat their enemies in the old wars.” He gave her a faint smile.


“I feel so stupid and confused. I just want to make things make sense.”


“Myrin did something unforgivably wrong no matter which way he tries to turn the glass. Putting something in the drink of the Crown Prince of Cemir is a crime, so is putting anything in your glass, Marravae. Whether he knew you’d had the tainted drink or not, he knew he wasn’t supposed to be in your tent. You’re the only one who’s done nothing wrong in all of this.


“You tried to do your duty as a Princess of Cemir and make peace, and for your efforts you were treated poorly. Father will be incensed.”


Marravae took a deep breath and tried to hold onto his certainty, pushing anything else aside. “What happens now?”


“When you feel well enough to travel, we’ll go home. Volas has offered to travel with us, you may end up married before the year ends regardless,” his tone was gently teasing.


“I don’t want to think about marriage right now.”


“I may have to. Even if Myrin committed an unforgivable crime, his sister hasn’t. That match may still stand.”


“Make certain she isn’t pregnant before you marry her.” Marravae dropped her voice to be barely audible, making Gaeleath lean in, “She and Myrin… one of the things I remember is that he spoke of it. I couldn’t think of anything to say when he confessed except that they can’t do that anymore. He said something about… about trading sisters and that they think you and I…”


Gaeleath sat up with an appalled look on his face. “I’ll bear that in mind.”


“How is she?” Volas brought his horse closer with a look of curiosity.


“I’m feeling less confused.” She tried to give him a smile. “I trust my brother’s judgement of things.”


“I may not be a hunter but I’m not useless.” He gave her a rueful smile.


“You’re gentle-natured. It isn’t a bad thing. Your temper is measured and people respect you. I respect you.”


Volas laughed softly. “How could you agree to part with her for nothing?”


“The Cuphisians have the woman bring a large gift for her husband’s family, if we kept to both traditions they would cancel each other out. Both Kings decided to make a few speeches and forgo tradition this once. I never agreed with it. If my sister is going to be given to anyone, tradition should be respected. Her worth is more than any amount of gold or jewels could ever begin to rival. Giving her to someone who can’t see that should never have been suggested.”


The Arek looked smug, “I will tell your father so. We will offer a price worthy of our next Queen.”


She almost spoke up to tell him she hadn’t been promised yet and it would be some time before she would agree, despite his kindness, but the sound of riders approaching quickly was unmistakable and both her brother and Volas looked ahead with displeasure.



© 2021 Isemay


Author's Note

Isemay
Since I need to distinguish three separate languages I set Arek aside with angle brackets in most chapters.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on February 27, 2021
Last Updated on February 27, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay