Seventeen

Seventeen

A Chapter by Isemay

Myrin was seething as he came around the corner to the loitering healers waiting to be sent back in to the Princess, “Who allowed the Arek into Princess Marravae’s room?”


All of them looked startled, “What Arek? Their healers are dangerously ignorant!” The men headed back toward the chamber at a trot, the sound of an anguished wail and retching came out as they opened the door.


He caught a glimpse of Myrae ducking back around the corner. Cursing under his breath he chased after her, “Sister?”


“If she’s going to go with the Arek-”


“Are you trying to murder my wife?”


“You haven’t married the ugly beast yet.” Myrae pouted and gave him a sullen look.


“She isn’t ugly and that’s why you’re having a fit.” Myrin snapped, “Control your jealousy. That’s why she came out to us in the woods. She knew she’d have a better chance of reaching an understanding with me if she could get me alone.” He glanced to the doorway and felt a twinge of admiration, remembering her brother’s words that she didn’t like to fail.


“You prefer that-that Cemiri to me!” Myrae’s voice was slightly too loud and he gave her a biting look. 


“Every man has to leave his family and make one of his own. Marravae is a beautiful woman and a perfect choice. You’ll be very content with her brother, I have no doubt.”


His sister’s mouth dropped open. Every other time she’d suggested he preferred another woman to her charms he’d reassured her that she was the loveliest and no other woman could compare.


“If you want to be welcomed home after your marriage, I suggest you treat her well. If you give me a reason to suspect you intend her harm or intend to disrupt my plans I will have you offered to Volas again instead of Gaeleath and have you sent to a border keep on the Vimt to make the matter easier.”


Myrae bolted in a flood of tears.


First things first, he needed to make certain Marravae would be safe with his sister roaming the palace. A guard on her door who wouldn’t allow anyone except the healers and himself to enter. The matron… Myrin stormed toward the antechamber his father should be in organizing various matters. The matron needed to be a woman that Myrae couldn’t influence.


As he entered the chamber, he saw their old governess, a woman who was always impartial and cold, bobbing a curtsy. The woman left as he was waiting for his father to acknowledge him.


“Have you done something else I need to know of urgently?” The annoyed tone was accompanied by a sigh.


“I want a guard on Marravae’s door and someone to taste her food. Myrae sent the Arek healer in as I was speaking to Gaeleath.” 


King Merin blinked in surprise.


“She’s sour about the match and that I’m eager to marry Marravae. The healers rushed back to the chamber and I heard my future wife wailing and retching as she did when Volas woke her. Apparently the Arek healers are horrid when it comes to such matters and sending him is much like an attempt on Marravae’s life. I scolded my sister but-”


“But that may not be enough.” His father rubbed his temples. “Did you at least make some headway with Gaeleath?”


“I think I did. He made careful inquiries, as did I. I do believe that if Marravae falls pregnant it will be with my child. The Cemiri use something called lambskin gloves-”


King Merin laughed and gave him a nod. “I never saw the appeal but with women who can’t take the proper elixirs it would be preferable to having b******s everywhere.”


“He was also very clear that they haven’t…” He waved his hand. “Here. Marravae was told to marry me and she wouldn’t put that in jeopardy. Having bedded the woman I believe him. She’s incapable of being quiet, I gagged her and still half the camp was aware.”


His father gave him an amused look. “Sounds of pleasure I hope.”


“She’s exquisite. I’d never understood why Arek and Cemiri men wax poetic about women with thighs and hips like hers, she rode me like a horse and it was better than I could have dreamt.”


“She has stamina?” King Merin laughed.


“I bedded her for hours, she had no inhibitions-”


“That should have been a sign. She’s a princess not a tavern girl.” His father stood and shook his head with a smile. “That may also be why she was so upset. If her memory is hazy and she remembers doing things she wouldn’t have been willing to do until you’d married her…” 


“If I have to kill a dozen boars to be able to do those things again I will, Father. I can’t bear the thought of her leaving. And with Volas…” 


“King Gaeramith has been very clear in his desire for peace, if you’ve managed to get his daughter with child it may encourage him to keep desiring it. I suspect we may end up paying a symbolic bride price as your penance.”


“Volas spoke of saplings and wine being part of what was given. Something that appears generous could be given without too much expense. I’ll have things arranged so that it can be given and we can be married as soon as possible.”


“Her children should be clever if her brother is any indication.”


“Why did you tell him we only stopped one messenger and not both?”


“He’ll drop his guard and not be concerned with getting word to Volas about the matter if he thinks that a message will reach his father. Let them stay until things calm somewhat. If we send her home calmly the matter will resolve more easily. Sending them in the panic and upset of the matter is unwise.”


“I would prefer it if she stayed.”


“I saw Gaeleath’s certainty and the Cemiri have greater experience with the Areks. As angry as he is over the matter he’s still trying to prevent a war. She will have to be sent back to her father for a time. I doubt a single night would result in a child but if it does the matter should expedite her return.


“Try to get a concession out of her. If she agrees to the arrangement now and expresses the desire to marry you it will bring the matter to a favorable end more quickly.”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on March 1, 2021
Last Updated on March 1, 2021
Tags: fantasy, drama, royalty


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay