Thirty-one

Thirty-one

A Chapter by Isemay

Taking a seat next to Gaeleath, Volas felt he’d made the right choice. The Cemiri Prince had argued for him to be allowed his men and to have them armed and the mention of Arek and Cemir standing shoulder to shoulder was as good as asking for protection.


The comprehension seemed to be dawning over King Merin’s face and Myrin looked unsettled.


“When will Marravae-”


A commotion outside the antechamber cut off Volas’ question. At a nod a handful of his men moved to intervene and a Cemiri Lady stormed into the room followed by a panicked looking Cuphisian.


“Lady Ossa.” Gaeleath rose with a frown. “My sister-”


“Fainted, your Highness. She woke looking pale but now she looks bloodless and they refuse to summon Ellus, son of Erras! Her Highness requested him and I will fetch him if I have to slap sense into every <esculent> Cuphisian head in this palace.”


The Arek curse suggesting their hosts were edible inserted into the woman’s furious report put a grim smile on Volas face.


“Your language is-” King Merin began speaking frostily and Volas rose from his seat.


“I was told one of the Cemiri Ladies was nearly Arek.” Rolling his shoulders back and letting all of his distaste and fury show on his face, he drew his concealed dagger and threw it down, lodging it into the low table. “If Princess Marravae fails to recover, even if you should strike me down, expect a blade like this one to end you and your line, King Merin. The war that will come on her death will not end without it.”


Commander Akras was looking to him for a clear order. <“Have Ellus, son of Erras, found and leave servants with him for his safety and to be certain he can care for her without further difficulty.”>


The pleased look on the Lady’s face told him she’d understood.


<“Take the Cemiri Lady with you. If she eats any of the Cuphisians claim her for an Arek.”> 


Her sharp look was spoiled by the laugh she let out. The Lady turned and left with two of the men.


“That is Lady Ossa of Sey, my cousin on my mother’s side.” Gaeleath sounded amused. “If your Majesty failed to understand what he said I can translate for you.”


“I understood.” King Merin rose with a scowl. “The Arek healer will be fetched and you will be sent home as soon as your sister is well enough to travel. You will take your men and wait in your lodging, Prince Volas.”


“Stay with your sister, Gaeleath.” Volas put a hand on the Cemiri’s shoulder. “We will be fetched if we do not return soon.”


“Your messengers were stopped. The matter was not as dire as you made it sound and I intend to send word to your fathers once-”


“Did you intercept the ones I sent in the night, King Merin?” Volas grinned at the man’s shock and anger. “I knew before Ellus returned. Things did not feel right. I have sent several messengers and I expect that those you captured and detained will be returned to me promptly. I await a well armed response from Arek and your choices now will determine my father’s.” He looked askance at the Cemiri.


“I expect that my father’s response will match what your father sends at the very least. I may be the Crown Prince of Cemir but he loves my sister best. ”


“He sent a healer who arrived during the night, not an army.” King Merin hadn’t stopped scowling.


“You sent the message that she was ill, King Merin. You told me that yourself.” Gaeleath smiled coolly. “I assume he sent Master Erthor, our family’s healer? He would have had to travel with haste and nearly without stopping to arrive so soon. Why was the man not with my sister this morning?”


“I have asked Prince Volas to leave and I-”


<“Return to your sister, Gaeleath. If you are harmed or you and yours are not brought out promptly when the armies arrive I will lead the men myself to come for you. Until then, I will wait outside.”> Volas smiled grimly as the Cemiri Prince offered a Cemiri salute and a gracious nod of his head.



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on March 3, 2021
Last Updated on March 3, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay