Thirty-three

Thirty-three

A Chapter by Isemay

“We require no audience.” Myrin seethed as one of the Areks followed Gaeleath out.


“There are two guards-”


“For your sister’s protection and your peace of mind!”


“They tried to prevent me from seeing my sister this morning, that was not reassuring.”


Myrin pinched the bridge of his nose. “My father believes that there is no repairing anything at this point. He said you’ll return home with your sister and I will never see her again. That isn’t what I want. Tell me-”


“I will speak to their Highnesses before I agree to go anywhere. You have no right to remove our things.” A woman’s furious voice came from around a corner and the Cemiri Lady stormed into view a moment later. “Your Highness! We are being removed from the palace and we have not been told where or why. We will not leave you-”


“King Merin, my father,” Myrin frowned sternly at the woman only to be met with a frigidly disdainful look, “has decided that it would be best if all of the Cemiri and Arek guests were with Prince Volas to prevent any further talk of war.” He turned back to Gaeleath, “I don’t want this. I want your sister to be my wife. Please, take the matron with you to ensure that once everything has been calmed and settled that she can still return to marry me within the year and if my poor behavior results in a child I will be able to claim it.”


His father had said it was a waste of time to even ask and it would be the same as grovelling but Myrin suspected that Volas was bluffing and Gaeleath was backing him out of some sort of loyalty or anger. When he’d said as much the old man had scoffed, calling him a fool, and claimed that Gaeleath would always be several moves ahead if Myrin didn’t pay better attention. He studied the Cemiri’s face for a sign of who was right.


The man looked into the middle distance with a frown and a slightly furrowed brow, as if he were studying a board Myrin couldn’t see. After a brief moment he nodded slowly. “We will allow the matron to come with us. Matters should not be set back so far between our countries or our families.


“I do ask that Prince Volas’ men be allowed to stand guard instead of your father’s until we are able to revive my sister and move her safely to the new lodging. It will ease his mind and show that no ill will is intended. The Ladies may go ahead and prepare the rooms as long as our servants are free to come and go bringing anything needed for my sister until she is moved.”


“Very reasonable.” Myrin allowed himself a smile. “I suspected my father was too upset by Volas’ posturing to think clearly.


“What do you mean your sister needs to be revived?”


“In her weakened state, walking all night without refreshment was too much exertion and the healers say she will not waken without honey or Arek ajamia; the ajamia would be best. Lady Celaena and one of the Arek servants have gone to fetch it. It is needed quickly.”


“Ah. I will see to it that she has all your healers ask for.”


Myrin stepped away beckoning to the two guards on duty. Gaeleath and the Lady spoke quietly with the Arek servant in what sounded like Arek.


“One of you should go to inform my father of what has been decided so that he can send the matron, the other is to go and personally see to it that the ajamia or whatever they’ve requested for her Highness arrives promptly without any interference. I will remain and keep watch over my future wife.”


He headed back toward the door as the soldiers hurried off and Gaeleath sent the Lady on an errand as well.


“Were you speaking Arek to them?” 


“I was. I didn't want to be misunderstood by the servant that Prince Volas left for Ellus.”


“It’s a wretchedly difficult language.” Myrin smiled ruefully, “It sounds angry and coarse.”


“Only if you’re unaccustomed to it. Their curse words are far more satisfying than those we have in Cemiriss, I'll grant you.” 


Gaeleath looked vaguely amused and the Arek servant waiting by the door didn’t look offended. The man probably didn’t understand a word of what was being said in a more civilized tongue.


“I’d like to look in on Marravae, if I may.”


“Be warned that Master Erthor is the healer who has looked after her all her life, he’s sour about her condition.” Gaeleath opened the door for him. “He doesn’t speak Cuphisian.”


“I will bear that in mind.” 


Marravae was laying on the bed looking pale but lovely in a dark green Cemiri gown.


“She is a truly beautiful woman.”


“She looks ill.” Gaeleath shook his head and moved to sit next to her on the bed taking her hand. “And she’s cold.” The Cemiri Prince looked at the oldest of the healers consulting nearby. “Should she be so cold?”


“It isn’t good. We need the ajamia quickly.” 


“What will the ajamia do?” Myrin looked at them curiously.


“Does your Highness recall that when Princess Myrae feels faint she often requires a glass of juice?” the Cuphisian healer offered tentatively.


“I do.” He eyed the sleeping woman with more concern. “I was told that it was important for her to have it when she requires it.”


“Yes. This is what would happen if she did not. She would faint and not be able to be revived.”


Myrin stepped forward and squeezed Marravae’s leg, shaking it. “She can’t…” 


“Remove your hands from her Highness!” The Cemiri healer stepped forward with a scowl. “She is ill and not to be manhandled!”


Lifting his hands, he felt his heart start to beat faster, “How will she be revived by this ajamia?”


“It will be put in her mouth and her cheeks will be vigorously rubbed until…” the man glanced nervously toward Gaeleath.


“Until?”


“Until she wakes or…” 


“Or it is decided that other measures must be considered.” The Arek frowned and shook his head. “We told them to make haste with the ajamia.”


“I will see to it that they are not being delayed.” Myrin gave Gaeleath a worried look but the man was looking down at his sister, gripping her hand and stroking her hair.


The realization that if Volas wasn’t just posturing or that if the Princess were harmed even if it wasn’t a direct result of the tainted Zophin that everything he’d ever taken for granted would crumble from beneath his feet made him feel ill. Myrin hurried out and barked at the nearest servant, “Find out why they haven’t returned with the Arek ajamia and get it to the Princess at once!”



© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

36 Views
Added on March 3, 2021
Last Updated on March 3, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay