Forty

Forty

A Chapter by Isemay

A glance into the bedroom the Cemiri were sharing made Volas smile. Prince Gaeleath was on the edge of the large bed with one of the Cemiri Ladies lying between him and his sister. Another of the Ladies was asleep on the room’s sofa. He gave a nod to Lady Celaena keeping watch cheerfully from the chair next to the bed.


Lady Ossa peered around the door frame and whispered, “Your Highness? Is something wrong?” 


He answered as quietly, “No. I just wished to see if they were awake.”


“It’s early yet. Princess Marravae is an early riser but I think she should sleep as long as she can.”


“I agree. I will make certain the morning training is quiet.”


“Mmm,” Marravae blearily lifted her head, “Morning training?”


Volas allowed himself a quiet laugh, “Sleep, Marravae. When you are well I will allow you to join me.”


She gave a contented sigh and lay her head back down. Ossa gave him a pointed look and he left smiling.


“You look cheerful this morning, your Highness.” Commander Akras studied him curiously.


“Merciless Marravae wanted to join us for our morning training. She was barely awake enough to lift her head.”


Akras chuckled. “That’s a woman worth emptying his Majesty’s treasury for. Her sons will be unmatched on the field.”


“If they are not my sons I will die in grief.” Volas clapped the man on the shoulder. “We should make an effort to keep our training as quiet as possible. I would have the Cemiri rest.”


“All of the Ladies slept in the room with them?” Akras followed him out with the baffled question. “Are they so afraid?”


“Only two slept, two kept watch. Their Crown Prince and Princess were wounded and abducted. I would expect nothing less of Arek Lords if I had traveled with them. Cemiri women are prized for a reason. If Gaeleath doesn’t marry one of these he’s a fool.”


Before the training could begin a shrill whistle came from the watch along the wall signalling an approaching messenger. Volas climbed the makeshift scaffolding to see for himself. From the palace came a fat man on a horse surrounded by guards and a small entourage that might be nobles.


“No weapons are needed.” The fat man’s voice boomed in Cuphisian. “We do not come to harm you. We wish to speak to the Cemiri Prince and Princess and perhaps Master Erthor as well.”


“Their Highnesses are resting. Prince Gaeleath has a wound that would prevent him from coming to the wall to speak and the Princess should not be walking until she is fully recovered. That she had to defend herself and flee was more exertion than should have been asked of her.” Volas regarded the man coolly.


“Ah. I saw how she was being treated. He threatened her in my presence. I do not doubt you. But I need to speak with one who heard the Prince’s confession and who can shed light on what happened when I left the room.”


“Fetch the Cemiri healer.” Volas gave a nod to Akras.


He stood waiting and studying the Cuphisians with cool disdain, noticing how nervous the guards looked and how the nobles whispered amongst themselves.


The fat man sighed and waved his hand dismissively at whatever they were saying. “The Cemiri Princess said that our peoples were at war. They wish to know if Arek agrees.”


“The moment Prince Gaeleath’s blood was spilled was the moment the war began. Arek and Cemir stand shoulder to shoulder. The report I received from the Cemiri healer and the Princess was that Prince Myrin commanded his sister to poison their father, the King. If the King yet lives he must still answer for poisoning myself and the Cemiri with ymetel. 


“It was Prince Myrin who tried to poison the Cemiri Crown Prince, but his sister drank from the cup in his stead. With his death that quarrel can be ended. Does King Merin yet live?”


“No, your Highness, he does not. He was poisoned by a cup not brought to him by the servants or healers. They need to hear from one who heard the Prince’s confession-”


“Why would he confess?” One of the nobles asked angrily, “It makes no sense.” 


“He confessed-” Marravae’s voice came from behind him and Volas spun to see her being carried by a soldier and the Cemiri healer following with a scowl.


Carefully he and several others helped her up the scaffolding. Volas held her as if she might fall over, removing his own shirt to put over her robe for warmth.


“Thank you, Volas.”


“We were told you were ill.” A noble frowned.


“I am. My healer is not pleased that I insisted on coming out to speak with you. Prince Myrin spoke openly of it to his sister because Master Erthor does not speak Cuphisian well and he expected that I would either hold my tongue to preserve my own life or that I would be easy to intimidate into silence. He tried to murder my brother. I give no quarter and I will not be intimidated.”


“How did your Highness escape?” the fat man smiled faintly.


“We met, you are… He called you, the High Augur, Galuin.”


The fat man laughed and nodded, “Yes, your Highness. Without a King I hold the power of the crown until the next in line is brought before me to be crowned. How did you escape?”


“My Ladies came to free me. The women I brought are loyal and know how to use a blade as well as I do. None of us have ever had to… to kill. I feel no pity for Prince Myrin, his back was to me as he threatened my Ladies with the sword he used on my brother, and I was able to kill him quickly and cleanly. But I pity Princess Myrae. The Lady who struck that blow has been weeping since.”


“You pity a woman who murdered her own father?” Volas asked gently.


“Her brother gave the command. She knew she should not have taken her father the cup but she did not know it was poison. They spoke of it because the Princess was upset. Prince Myrin was not. He was reassuring her that she had done well. She had done what he asked.”


“That is what we needed to know.” Galuin nodded. “The King’s death was orchestrated by Prince Myrin as was the attack on the Cemiri Prince and the poisoning of the Princess. In his diaries, he wrote of grand plans to put his son on the Cemiri throne. Had the boy lived we would have gone to war eventually. The Princess is not yet dead but she is unable to speak. The wound is mortal, I’m told, but your Lady can cease her weeping, the Princess is no longer in pain, her death will be gentle.”


“I will tell her.”


“Prince Volas, I must ask you, as Prince Gaeleath is not able to stand and speak to us, can war be avoided?”


“The ones who wronged us are dead. Allow those sent by our fathers to come and escort us safely home and I will consider the matter closed. I will do my best to persuade my father the fault lay with those who are dead and not with all of Cuphisia.”


“As will I.” Marravae inclined her head. “My brother has tried at every turn to preserve the peace. Once we are safely at home all matters can be smoothed over by the diplomats.”


© 2021 Isemay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

35 Views
Added on March 3, 2021
Last Updated on March 3, 2021
Tags: royalty, drama, fantasy


Author

Isemay
Isemay

Germany



About
Spent some time away from here but I've come back to peek in and post again! Review my writing and I will gladly return the favor! I love reading other people's stories, and I try to review hone.. more..

Writing
One One

A Chapter by Isemay


Two Two

A Chapter by Isemay


Three Three

A Chapter by Isemay