5AM Script

5AM Script

A Story by Ace Of Hearts
"

Wrote this late at night, I was asked to produce a story at 5am, this is what I came out with.

"
So my mom just knocked on my door, and I let her in, right?

Her face is puffy and creased, like she had been asleep for hours.  I think to myself- maybe she’s looking for comfort from a terrible dream, some company at such a late hour, or she just wants to tell me to do the dishes"  

Either way I let her in.

She sits down, edge of my bed, her face to the door. Her eyes trying to adjust to the fan-blades chopping shadows into the light.   I assumed she was scouting an easy way out. It was quiet, besides the tiny over-used motor in my ceiling fan. Maybe it was my heart beating.  

This made me worry, I began to contemplate reactions to her many arguments, opinions, and wild ideas. What could she know? What did she have going on in her Solitaire addicted brain? What chore was she going to choose from the never ending post-it list glued to her head?

 "What did I not do today? oh, wait, yes that’s right, I didn’t bother Gina enough today" I could see the gears turning.

She turns towards me, her feet still pointed directly at her easy escape. In barely a whisper she asks me an insidious question "What’s going on, Gina?"

"Not much, MOM" This was the easiest thing to say. Conversation over!

Then a little louder she says "What’s going on with you, Gina" I was wrong, now she has used my name twice.  Something was coming that I did not prepare for. "Nothing, mom." Ha! Doubled back at her!  
I get a little hasty waiting for her to get to the f*****g point.
Fighting back she exclaims "Are you on drugs?" Seemed to me she may have been upset she was missing some pills. I’m thinking she forgot she ate them herself.

"No ma, I'm not, it’s four in the morning” Then her response was vague and vailed. "You’ve been up late the last two nights and you look like you are losing too much weight" I had no rebuttal, I vainly thought "I have been losing weight?"

The pieces fit better now, her slow entry and her awkward peering. She wasn't just lagging because it was four am, she was fucked up on opi's.  Now was my chance to have the upper hand. As fucked as that may seem I knew that she had NOTHING on me...

I told her  "Mom, I think its really about time you start looking at your behavior before you question mine!"      

I can go to bed with the taste of sweet victory on my lips.  I have not won the war but Im breaking her down one battle at a time.

© 2011 Ace Of Hearts


Author's Note

Ace Of Hearts
It was really four am, and no this didn't really happen, but I thru this together in about an hour and was pleased with the descriptions, I just hate how it ends.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

250 Views
Added on April 7, 2011
Last Updated on April 13, 2011
Tags: Pills Mom Broke Pissed Upset Fru

Author

Ace Of Hearts
Ace Of Hearts

MD



About
Amateur. But writing is a great outlet for me. more..

Writing
Need Need

A Poem by Ace Of Hearts