Chapter 2 : Sam

Chapter 2 : Sam

A Chapter by Itislaissezfaire
"

It may have just been a one night stand for him, but for me it was a lifetime of memories.

"

 

      “I think it’s time we got you home,” Carissa yawned, stretching and then hopping off the couch. For most of the afternoon, we had sat right here, both Ryan and I, as silent as a rock, while Carissa had chatted away about the business Ryan and her had recently set up. Wanting to seem attentive, I kept my eyes on her, too afraid that Ryan would be looking at me.
      “That’s okay,” I said, standing up. “I’ve got it handled. I was planning on leaving town anyway.”
      “Leaving town?” Carissa asked, befuddled.
      “My parents live in Maine,” I lied, grabbing my stuff. “But I thank you from the bottom of my heart for all the hospitality that you have so kindly shown me.”
      “You’re not going to your parents, are you?” Carissa bluntly asked.
      I stood their ridged.
      “Honey, I would think by now that you would know you can’t hide many things from me.”
      “I lost my home this morning,” I confessed, my eyes watering.
      “Oh, no!” Carissa exclaimed, rushing over to me. Ryan stood there, frozen.
      “No, it’s okay,” I chuckled.
      “How can you say that? Even Ryan knows what that means.”
      “Yeah, well good for him. It’s great to be educated,” I replied, aggravated.
      “Where were you really planning to go?” she asked.
      “I don’t know. I was thinking I could use a nice, sturdy bench by the subway. Ya’ know, that way, in the morning, I can make a mad dash out of this town.”
      “Are you mad?” Carissa exclaimed, crossing her arms. “There are some dangerous people out there! You could get hurt!”
      Yeah, well, it’s not like I have a choice. I lost my job, my home, I pretty much have nothing else to lose.”
      “I’m not going to let you do that,” Ryan spoke up, sternly. I looked over to where he stood, his arms crossed against his broad chest.
      “Neither will I,” Carissa joined in, gently pulling away my bag. “We have a spare room you’re welcome to stay in.” She beamed a smile, yet it seemed easy to read her emotions. She was clearly upset. Taking my hand, she led me past Ryan, his eyes following me.
      “It can’t be…” I heard him whisper.
      I snapped my head back, my heart beating rapidly. It seemed like an eternity the way his eyes remained fixated on mine. Those vast pools of blue seemed suddenly 9 years younger. It was as if I were seeing him for the first time. Dazed, I let myself be dragged by Carissa until he left my sight of vision, yet his face remained etched into my mind.
      “Tomorrow we’ll go out and get you some clothes,” she told me, fumbling through the drawers.
      “You don’t even know me,” I interjected.
      “I don’t know most of the people I work for. Yet, I do my job and hopefully, I receive the pay,” she smiled, pulling out sheets. “That’s life, ya’ know? I don’t think I could meet everyone on this planet even if I wanted to.”
      “Yeah, but—
      --I doubt you’re going to steal anything. For god sakes, you let me wash you back. How more personal can you get?” she laughed, taking a seat on the bed.
      “Then you should know my name isn’t Lillian,” I confessed, feeling over the furniture.
      “May I remind you I’m excellent at reading people? I kind of had a feeling you were hiding something,” she chuckled, patting the bed beside her. Taking the notion, I sat down next to her. She wrapped her arm around me. “So, what is it?” she asked.
      “Sam.”
      “I don’t recall you being a boy in the bath,” she said, leaning back.
      “Samantha.”
      “Ah, that’s better,” she joked, ruffling up my hair. I liked Carissa; I really liked her. She was gentle and kind, like a mother. She seemed flawless and wise and I couldn’t help but be drawn into her.
      And for a short while, the horrible life that now claimed me, disappeared.
      Then Ryan walked in. I sat up, rigid. Carissa sensed this and let go.
      “I hope I wasn’t interrupting anything,” Ryan apologized, awkwardly, rubbing his shoe against the carpet.
      “Of course, not,” Carissa replied, jumping onto her feet. “We were just finishing up our girl time.” Looking back at me, she winked, before disappearing out into the hallway. Ryan stood there, motionless.
      All of a sudden, everything he had been holding back seemed to rush out. Like the sea pouring into a creek, there wasn’t enough room to be comfortable.
      “I swear I know you from somewhere,” He began, rushing up to me. Startled, I fell back.  “You look so familiar that it kills me that I don’t know who you are. There’s something about you.”
      Ryan towered over me.
      “What are you doing?” I panicked. His hand began to trace my face, slowly descending to my neck. Then, he grabbed me, pulling me forward, my head resting against his stomach. The back of my neck was now exposed.
      “I knew it!” he exclaimed, jumping back.
      “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” I said frantically, pulling my hair quickly over my neck.
      “It’s you!”
      “It’s me?”
      Only once had he said my name.
      “What’s your name?” Ryan asked, leaning over me.
      “Sam,” I replied, gently kissing the nip of his ear.
      “Sam,” he repeated, his finger tracing over my scar.
      “But it can be what ever you want.”
      “I like the name ‘Sam’,” he played, burrowing his head into my neck.

      “Sam!”
      “Ryan…”
      “It’s you! It’s really you!” he proclaimed. He began to pace around the room. “I knew you looked familiar! It’s been—God—like what?” he sputtered out.
      “9 years,” I whispered.
      “9 years!” he answered, apparently not hearing me. Then reality struck him. “But what are you doing here?” he hesitantly asked.
      “I had no where else to go.”
      “I can’t believe this!” he said, throwing his arms up, ignoring me.  “9 years with no contact and now? This is unbelievable!”
      “I knew you lived close.”
      He drew in a quick breath and slowly came back to me. “How long have you had my address?”
      “For a while…”
      “How long is a while?” he asked, sternly, planting his giant hands on either side of me, his face only a few inches away from me.
      “The morning after--”
      “Say it,” he ordered me.
      Ashamed, I turned my head to the side. His hand grabbed my chin.
      “—After we had sex…”
      He let go and stepped back. Turning around, he began to walk to the door and then he said:
      “I can give you some money if you want, but you can’t stay here.”
      Then he closed the door.


© 2009 Itislaissezfaire


Author's Note

Itislaissezfaire
Rough Draft.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

164 Views
Added on February 2, 2009


Author

Itislaissezfaire
Itislaissezfaire

FL



About
I live to write. I write to live. That's just me. Writing allows me to lock onto a world that will never be; to explore the depths of imagination, and to express the ideas that I have been holding in .. more..

Writing