Welcome to America :)

Welcome to America :)

A Poem by J. Hampton
"

Profiling...Predjudice... and ETHNO-Paranoia... all the pandamonium at points of entry but we seem to be stopping the WRONG folks for the most part.

"

Welcome to America

admission’s “ FREE” today !!

Take a number

step aside…

for a lil’

friendly ….Ethnocide.

Trust me

you will pay.

 

Check your bags…

and get in line.

Get measured up to see

if ya make the height

to ride this ride

 

I mean….

 you ….

Look alright….to ..ME.

But…

I’m not the one …

who makes the cut

to decide

diversity.

 

Depending…

on the …skin you’re in

brown….black…

or slightly…

In – di-an ….

A – sian…

Or

Tri – ni- dadian.

 

Perhaps …

you are…

a Guyan….beast

or have..

that

“GUILTY –look”

of

Middle-East.

 

They’re tearin’ your luggage apart

yet…

Still ….

Give you service with a smile ?

What..the heck…

no “  Red carpet “ …???

You just been “profiled” !!!

 

Welcome to America

admission’s “ FREE” today !!

Take a number

Step aside…

for a lil’

friendly ….Ethnocide.

trust me

You will pay.

 

 

© 2007  J. Hampton [email protected]

 

 

© 2008 J. Hampton


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I loved this! Very intelligent work written with much empathy for your fellow man. So glad you brought this up in such a poetic, slightly humorous way. I do however understand why there has to be some care taken to protect, all you say has merit, but after the 9/11 debacle I'd like to know I'm safe as I'm flying internally (Australia) and I'm scared of flying as it is! Unfortunately we live in a violent world and we all need to be vigilant about who goes where and when. It's not really about immigration, but discerning without being judgemental, it's a country where equality is law....it's just that some are more equal than others!
Congrats!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


10 of 10 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very, very nice job. Such a true to life poem.
I know they treat some people like a terrorist just because they have the same name as someone else. There is a list of names and some of the names are so common that it would be impossible not to run into someone with that name. It is definetely a broken system and even if I knew a solution, they wouldn't listen to me.
Thank you for sharing. Love all, Mejasha

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh, I guess there's always a time friends disagree. I love you, J, but I think you're just jumping on the popular ship, now. Let's say you have a little 6 year old daughter. She's kidnapped from her room. Of course a sexual predator is thought of. What if you found out the police were only focusing their attention in the Asian community on men from fourty to sixty ? Would you be relaxed with their attempts to get your daughter back ? If not..why ? We profile everyday. We profile when we choose our friends. I was at an airport the other day. The guy in front of me was Muslim..no luggage, and carrying the Koran. They let him walk straight through..took me off to the side. I was pissed, and I told him so. If I would have been on that plane where the six Muslins knelt down and started praying, I would have demanded they stop, also.
This country was built on Christian values..not Muslim.
We didn't profile on 9/11, and it cost us 3000 American lies. The Cole was blown up by Muslims, the African Embassy by Muslims..the World Trade Center explosion where the van was packed with enough explosives to level a city block, were "all" done my Muslims.
But, we didn't profile not one on 9/11. I'm all for profiling, just make it rational. Don't pick out some seventy year old woman. Our city police were accused of profiling blacks. This city had to under go FIVE independant investigation..two city..one Federal..and two of the most liberal organization in the US..one the Southern Law Association. They tried so hard to find Profiling, but came up empty. If there's a sixty year old man going around my city killing innocent people in drive-by shootings..they better pull me over. I fit the profile, and am willing to forgo individual freedoms for the saftey of of the masses. You wrote a good piece, one that makes you think. It's provocotive, relevant, and well written, and that's what I rate on, not if I agree. Good job. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember this!Fab piece, and seems there has been no improvements made in our land...........
hope you didn't lose too much work x

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderful work. 200 years of a "free nation," and we are still not all that free.

"or have..

that

"GUILTY �look"
of
Middle-East.

They're tearin' your luggage apart
yet�
Still �.
Give you service with a smile ?
What..the heck�
no " Red carpet " �???
You just been "profiled" !!!"

Great lines. When did it become a crime to just look guilty? I thought that you have to be guilty.

-Gabe




Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

: ) I like this smack in the face freedom piece. Yeah, could you imagine if the Native American Indians judged us at the door and said we were too pale to live here? Actually, imagining that kinda makes me happy. This is a loaded topic, which I'm now leaving alone, cuz I just wrote and re-wrote this review way too many times!!!
Great piece~


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent write. Very true. Racial profiling is a big matter today. It's idiotic. You're right, because America is supposed to be the "Melting Pot". No one here thinks of it that way anymore. Sometimes I wonder if it's all that great being American if we as Americans can't accept everyone.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Funny thing, by the mid-nineteenth century, those who had immigrated from Europe in the 18th century felt ethnically superior to the more recent immigrants. Racial profiling isn't a new thing. We've been doing it for years.

Pointed and provocative write! The kind of art that could make changes in our world.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Brilliant and witty social commentary. Very cheeky. I like the way you put out this serious matter, but still kept a light hearted sort of flair to it. Nice.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You're poem was right. America is the land of immigrants. Everyone born in this country is the descendant to an immigrant at some point.

Posted 16 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love this! You have told it like it is.. i agree with you.. i like the Welcome to America, admission is 'FREE" today.. hmm , wonder if it will always be free?
Very good poem.

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1015 Views
43 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 7, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..