The Comma

The Comma

A Story by Kelli April
"

This piece was assigned to me by my Composition professor, as a discussion piece, to determine if I understood the reading assignment.

"
Commas, commas, commas. There are so many rules to follow when pertaining to the comma. Squeezing in an unnecessary comma or joining two sentences together with one that should have been replaced with a period or semicolon, are just two mistakes I accrue with almost every writing endeavor. Don't get me wrong, my work is not infested with erratically-placed commas, I just have a difficult time with the rules that change only because the sentence is shorter. For example, "When a coordinating conjunction connects two or more independent clauses - word groups that could stand alone as separate sentences - a comma must precede it. There are seven coordinating conjunctions in English: and, but, or, nor, for, so, and yet" (294). So, that means that this sentence is the correct placement of a comma: The police officer pulled up to the scene of the accident, and proceeded to assess the situation. However, there is an exception to this rule! (This is why I get so confused!) The exception is, "If the two independent clauses are short and there is no danger of misreading, the comma may be omitted"(294). So this sentence is also correct: The officer pulled over and approached the accident.

It makes sense that a comma would be needed for a bit longer of a sentence because there needs to be a pause there. Whereas with a shorter sentence, there is no confusion with a shorter sentence, so the comma is not necessary. I could go on and on about comma splices and everything else, but I'm sure no one would like to read about that! ;)

Work Cited

Hacker, Diana, and Nancy I. Sommers. Rules for writers. Bedford/St. Martins, 2016, pp. 294-313.

© 2018 Kelli April


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

To comma or not to comma - that is the question. You know, I don't think the poetry police run rampant around here. The brevity of shorter lines clearly don't require them, and many poets, such as myself, only use them in their reviews. Common sense should tell you when a break in a line is needed, but every once in a while you'll come across something with one run on sentence after another. It's just the way it is.

I thought this was a brilliant perspective, Kelli. By the way, what was your grade?

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelli April

5 Years Ago

I received an A in both of my composition classes. My final grades were A’s on my papers because I.. read more
The police officer assessed the situation when he arrived at the accident. I've actually taken the time to learn about grammar as far as independent and dependent sentences. I've also read about commas, as well as misplaced and dangling modifiers and I still never take the time to determine if I wrote clauses correctly.

A lot of people on this site write poetry and dodge any grammar leaving it up to the reader to determine how something should be read. I'm taking time off from writing to learn more, even though it's not necessary here. No one cares.

PS. I've revised this review about three times now. haha

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelli April

5 Years Ago

LOL That’s how I feel about revising my work to include or omit punctuation marks. Sometimes I fai.. read more
Relic

5 Years Ago

This writing inspired me to add commas to something I wrote and perhaps I've added oo many now. :) .. read more
Oh, you've just put me through a high school English lesson, which I flunked! I was always good in English lit, but terrible at the grammar part. And commas, lemme tell you--they give me fits. Some people seldom use one and I may use too many. Being a bit of a perfectionist, I want my writing to be correct in every way, but the rules for commas, colons and semi-colons have never stuck in my head very well. Alas, now that my 70 year-old brain isn't working quite right, I'm sure I'll never get it all straitened out. Thank you for the lesson, which I'll study some more.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelli April

5 Years Ago

We truly have a lot in common! I can tell you’re like me and read and re-read your own work before.. read more
Yes, that preferred or not preferred thing.
I hate the oxford comma. If the last two entries on a list cannot be misconstrued as being one, I feel the comma before the "and" should be omitted. After all, it takes the place of "and" throughout the list.
Ah...what fun, grammar! I am such a nerd about it.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelli April

5 Years Ago

Commas are my enemy! Lol! I truly enjoy to write, I do not, however, especially enjoy the rules and .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

343 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2018
Last Updated on May 6, 2018

Author

Kelli April
Kelli April

MN



About
I am a 32-year-old college student. I love to write. I am currently pursuing a Nursing degree, but my love will always reside within writing. Prior to enrolling in Higher Education, the last time I at.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Spice Spice

A Poem by Rita L. Sev