A very important thought on the damning issue of racism.

A very important thought on the damning issue of racism.

A Story by Kelli April
"

This assignment was very personal because I despise racial inequality. We are all human—that’s the only deciding factor that should be used when pertaining to ethnicities different than our own.

"
It does not matter to me one bit if the man behind me is white, black, Hispanic, tall, short, whatever - I would still feel the exact same way: scared. I'm 5'3" and 110 pounds, I cannot defend myself. Enough about my feelings, though, I can't even begin to imagine how this man felt! Entering a jewelry store simply to kill time, and the clerk comes back with a Doberman?! The thought of constantly having to wonder if you may frighten someone just by the way you look is devastating. One last final thought, why are black men mistaken so often for other black men? Not just African American men either, but I hear a lot of people say, "they all look the same." When I hear these words, it is crushing to my soul. Racism will ALWAYS plague our country if we cannot even look at our fellow Americans as the Human Beings they are - just like us. That is racism in one of its purest forms: to group an entire race into one face/human/man. This world needs many prayers. May God help us all.

“Just Walk on By: Black Men and Public Space”, McGraw-Hill Reader, by Brent Staples, 12th ed., McGraw-Hill Education, 2014, pp. 300-303.

© 2018 Kelli April


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Once again, we're on the same page. Thinking less of someone simply because they look a little different has to be one of the worst character flaws anyone can have. Besides that, it's just plain dumb. Please forgive me for telling one of my little stories. When a young fellow in the Navy, I saw this older guy walking around the ship and thought, "Man, look at the angry look on his face. I'd hate to have to work for him! I know he's gotta be a real prick." Well, as fate would have it, he did end up being my boss, and he was a very nice fellow. Seems he'd been born with a face that looked angry, but was in no way an indicator of his personality.
Too often, one's fears are unfounded and irrational.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Yes, it needs many----there is so much prejudice, and there is so much judgement ....it needs to stop.
well expressed...especially how you began this.
j.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Kelli April

5 Years Ago

If I could give up everything I have to erase the hatred of racism, I would do it in a heartbeat. No.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

111 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 6, 2018
Last Updated on May 6, 2018

Author

Kelli April
Kelli April

MN



About
I am a 32-year-old college student. I love to write. I am currently pursuing a Nursing degree, but my love will always reside within writing. Prior to enrolling in Higher Education, the last time I at.. more..

Writing