Tresor

Tresor

A Poem by J. C. Baker
"

A scent is a powerful thing.

"

Please No CSS

You know it... you catch a fleeting odor. Perfume.. Cologne.. You aren't sure where it comes from.. You may not even be able to say its name, but you know...

 

Flooded with memories.. overcome with emotion... You are instantly transported to a place.. a memory... a person.. a circumstance.

 

It can be bad... frightening... or exciting... arousing... calming...

 

It's the scent of an experience.. the fragrance of a love... the memory of pain or ecstacy.

 

Tresor. That's all it takes. If only they would retire fragrances like they do the numbers of legendary sports figures. Tresor should be retired.

 

No, I didn't detect it tonight. I just thought about it.

 

Any fragrances you'd retire?

© 2008 J. C. Baker


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

The sense of smell is amazing. While walking into a deli, a girl passed by that had the same perfume my first girlfriend wore over 35 years ago. She immediately popped into my head and I could almost see the places we hung out, the things we did and some of what we said, all in moments.

I certainly agree with your words. You've touched on something we can all relate to. Funny how memories are brought back through one powerful sense.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Loved it. Love the sense of smell and love perfume, more than likely I was a nose in another life.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Very well written, I enjoyed your write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Flooded with memories..
overcome with emotion...
You are instantly transported to a place..
a memory...
a person..
a circumstance.

This is the perfect description of what scents can do to your senses...it is almost like they put you in a trance for a moment before you come back to reality. I really like this and what a creative idea

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

after you retire tresor, try maxmara. it may inspire a new and unfamiliar love, a fire, a new desire, one that will attempt to put that retired fragrance out of the reach of scented memories. to me, a scent of a man or a woman can mean more than anything else about them including looks, eyes, and even intellect. a person's scent is their most powerful attribute to my weak character. discovering a new fragrance ignites hope for new possibilities, for new love. but you are right, no new scent will ever take away the memories, the feelings, the thoughts that an old beloved fragrance or the thought of it might evoke.

Posted 17 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Beautiful ideas. I particularly like the fifth stanza, like Toni. What a great image.

There are many things that could be improved as well, of course. There is a bit of ellipse overuse. The whole poem is kind of overly broken up by the ellipses until the fifth stanza. From there to the end is perfect... just try to think about ways to make that first half more like the second, and this will be a truly great poem.

Posted 17 Years Ago


It is true that the sense of smell is one of the strongest senses by far...a very clever concept! I think the structure definitely adds a needed touch as well. I love:
"Tresor.
That's all it takes.
If only they would retire fragrances
like they do the numbers
of legendary sports figures.
Tresor should be retired. "

Ahhh, that perfected this piece for me. :)

Posted 17 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 18, 2008

Author

J. C. Baker
J. C. Baker

Houston, TX



About
I am young and I am old, innocent and wise, loving and skeptical, tender and aloof. I can be all things to all people, but I prefer just being me. I have something to say to a world desperate to hea.. more..

Writing
Drinking Drinking

A Story by J. C. Baker



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


DaDaLust DaDaLust

A Poem by Carol Maric