I Miss Michael

I Miss Michael

A Stage Play by J. C. Koch
"

My first attempt at a one one act play. It is a drama that centers around two teens in high school dealing with the stages of grief over the loss of a mutual friend. Critical reviews are appreciated.

"

I Miss Michael

By Jeff Koch

(A school bell sounds and the sound of students walking and  talking is heard. The sounds die down and the lights come up on a row of lockers(Optional). LANA and WADE, enter from stage left. LANA walks briskly to a locker and WADE follows a few steps behind looking worried. LANA fumbles (or mimes fumbling) with the lock for a moment before slamming it down  and leaning up against the lockers.)

WADE

Lana, I feel like we really need to talk about what happened with Michael.


LANA

(Looks at WADE for a second then looks the other direction)

I’ve been telling you all day, I’m fine. Stuff happens, life goes on.


WADE

But this is actually serious.


LANA

I know its serious Wade, but I’m dealing with it on my own. I don’t need to talk to anyone.


WADE

(Puts a hand on LANA’s shoulder)

This isn’t something anyone could weather on their own. I want to be here for you.


LANA

(Taking WADE’s hand off her shoulder)

Trust me, I’ll be fine. I know he meant a lot to you, but...


WADE

(Speaking louder)

He meant a lot to you too.

LANA

I’ll move on.


WADE

(Yelling)

Thats it? He and I may have been best friends, but the way he always talked about you... Michael loved you, He said you were the one! DOESN’T THAT MEAN ANYTHING TO YOU?




LANA

He never said anything to me about that. We were just friends, we never would have worked out as a couple anyways. Its silly just thinking about it.


WADE

Well it wasn’t silly to him. I can’t count the number of times we laid out on his roof star gazing and he’d say something about your eyes or your hair or the way you sing to yourself when you don’t think anyone is listening. Don’t tell me his words didn’t mean anything. Don’t tell me they were fake.  


LANA

It doesn’t matter anymore anyway. He’s gone and I’ve already moved on and accepted it. Maybe you just need to grow up and get over it.


WADE

Our best friend died, and you’re pretending like its absolutely nothing. I didn’t know that you were such a cold hearted b�"�"


LANA

You’re just mad because now that Michael’s gone, you’ve lost the one thing that ever made you cool. You’re just mad because you know that without him, you’ll have no friends, you’ll be a nothing.


WADE

And you’re just in denial about the fact that he loved you, you loved him back, and you can’t cope. You just think that you can play pretend forever and hide from the fact that you really do miss him. Thats a road to ruin. I’ve seen too many people wreck their lives pretending to be okay when they really aren’t. I wanted to help you, but you’re just too proud to admit that you miss Michael

(LANA slaps WADE and runs off stage right)


(BLACKOUT the sound of cars driving plays, then a door slam, then footsteps. Spotlights up on WADE on one side of the stage sitting with his head in his hands and LANA on the other side, lying on a bed staring up at the ceiling.)

WADE and LANA

I can’t believe I just did that...

(Long pause)

LANA

He was just trying to help me, and I hit him. I’ve never hit anyone in my whole life. Whats wrong with me?


WADE

She was trying so hard to let it go and move on and I just couldn’t let her be alone like she wanted.

LANA

Besides... Wade was right. I really do want him back.


WADE

And now that she hates me, I really won’t have any friends.


LANA

I’d do anything just to see his face again and tell him how I really feel.


WADE

We really didn’t have much in common, but we had Michael. He brought both of us together and made it so neither of us had to be alone when this happened. But I screwed it up.


LANA

If he were still here, I wouldn’t hold back anymore. I wasted so much time being an introvert, time that we could have been together. Time we could have used to fall in love. Why did it have to be his time.


WADE

And now... Now everything’s pointless. Michael’s gone, Lana’s gone. Tomorrow I’ll be completely alone. 


LANA

I’d get out of the house more, I’d join clubs and sports, I’d... I’d...


WADE

Maybe tomorrow isn’t worth it...


LANA

He was right, I should call Wade.


(LANA pulls a phone out of her pocket and dials. WADE pulls out his phone and looks at the caller ID for a moment. WADE make a movement to set down the phone, but hesitates, then answers the call)

LANA

Hey, Wade, its me.


WADE

Lana... I’m sorry about what happened after school. I was being an...


LANA

You were right. You were 100% right. I can’t do this on my own. I need your help.



WADE

I can’t help anyone. I only make situations worse.


LANA

You’ve already helped me out. I was in denial, and I just spent the last 20 minutes cutting deals with god wishing for a way to get him back. You made me realize what I was doing.


WADE

I got mad and the only thing I wanted to do was bite your head off just because you were handling it better than me. I’m lower than dirt.


LANA

Snap out of it Wade. Is this the way he would want things to be? Would he want you to mope around and shut down or would he want you to go out and live life. What was that line from the movie that he was always quoting?


WADE

Carpe Diem?


LANA

Seize the day Wade. Live life in his memory. Make everyday a testament to how cool, funny and awesome he was by reciprocating it. Its what he would have wanted you to do.


WADE

I’m sorry. I’m sorry I wasn’t being me. I’m just sorry.


LANA

You don’t have to apologize.


WADE

Still friends?


LANA

Definitely.


WADE

Well I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.


LANA

Do you wanna sit together at lunch?



WADE

Sounds like a plan.


LANA

Hey Wade,


WADE

Yeah?


LANA

I miss Michael


WADE

I do too.

© 2011 J. C. Koch


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

A very sweet, touching screenplay(: I'd love to see this acted out.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The ending gave me goosebumps, and.. Not gonna lie,I teared up around the middle there. Great write(:
Oh, nice Dead Poets' Society reference(:

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 30, 2011
Last Updated on January 30, 2011

Author

J. C. Koch
J. C. Koch

OH



About
I write when I can, not because I want to, because I need to. I was introduced to poetry in 3rd grade, and I've been in love with it ever since. My dream is to get published, I'm working on that as yo.. more..

Writing
Wings Wings

A Poem by J. C. Koch