Freedom Is Not A Gift

Freedom Is Not A Gift

A Story by JC
"

Opinion of the author

"

 

Some say that we've brought freedom to Iraq.

 

Freedom isn't a gift. It isn't a present, all wrapped up in pretty paper and a big bow on it.

Freedom isn't something that can be given to you, on the contrary, you have to take it, fight for it and be willing to die for it.

 

The war in Iraq has ended, but our fighting force has not come home. They have been extended to secure peace. What peace, I ask? There hasn't been peace in that God forsaken land in over two thousand years, what makes our government think they can do it in five.

 

There won't be any peace or freedom for Iraq, because the so called "jihadist" are not Iraqis. They aren't fighting for a new country, for a better way of life, for a brighter future for their children. No, they are fighting because someone paid them. In essence, they have become "The Wild West" infamous "hired gun" and that is a dangerous thing. A dangerous thing for our American soldiers and the Iraqi people.

 

A Gun for Hire doesn't care how many people die, so the Iraqis have now become expendable. Ten, twenty, thirty, a hundred, it doesn’t matter as long as one American, is killed in the process. By contrast, our American force is willing to put their lives on the line if necessary, but preserving life, theirs and others, is the top priority.

 

America became a free nation, not because the British decided that they had no use for us anymore, on the contrary, it was earned with blood and sweat. If the Iraqis want freedom, they have to decide its worth fighting for. That its worth the blood and sweat. America is tired of waiting and the time has come for Iraq to make a decision, on whether they want freedom or not.

 

Freedom is not a gift, it's not free. It comes with a price. The American forefathers thought it was worth it, will the Iraqis?

© 2009 JC


Author's Note

JC
I was recently engaged in a discussion regarding the United States remaining in Iraq. Above is the written jist of that. Please, in no way, take this as non support of our military. I have family and friends serving in Iraq, and they have my full support and always will.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Usually it's a scary thing whenever it comes to arguing about your country's involvement in Iraq. Such comments only tend to divide people's thoughts, and could even go as far as exascerbating tensions, even when it involves families. It's plain, however, that your argument chooses to avoid the topic heatedly: your tone is strong, and the anger rather well subdued. An added + from my perspective.

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

for writing about it so blunt and in your face like you did.You put the ugly truth out there that many americans feel and say the same on the whole ordeal,Great strong solid words expressing the honesty of where so many americans stand on it.Kudos to you for not being afraid of stickin it to em regardless of the criticism that may come from it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


I'd rather die trying than live a suffering mundane lfe only to die at the end without every experiencing a harmonious life.It disgust me we not only die protecting our people from terrorist whom are nothing more than psychotic religous fanatics hating us because their too lazy or afraid to fight for the same as well as fighting and dying for these very same people to teach them how to run their government and starting it and getting it in order that they will probably never see it through I'm sorry I had so much to say but I comend you for

Posted 13 Years Ago


tell me no one there has the heart and the desire to take a stand and risk their lives for the better,you don't have the determination or ambition to make your country and the people prosper? No one dreams of seeing that for themselves or their children?Is there somthing they lack as a human that keeps them from wanting happiness and equality and good health?I don't get it I myself like all americans would fight and risk death and hope to live to enjoy the victory and overall improvement for my country and fellow man if not for myself for my children

Posted 13 Years Ago


Kudos!I don't feel sorry for them and we shouldn't be fighting and dying to help them.They hate us for what we have,nobody gave it to us! Many fought and died for what we have today.The irritating thing about it is the people suffering allow it to continue because their to scary to take a stand get some balls the population out numbers the goverment by far but beacause they have guns everyone is afraid.Your people live in terrible miserable conditions because of the mediocre way of life practiced evolve already! And because of fear you mean to

Posted 13 Years Ago


A good piece. A question that they must truly ask themselves. I hope they decide "yes" but I don't see it happening. Anyway, kudos.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Yes freedom is not a gift and war does not guarantee the right to its existence.The United States holds to the Big Bother on the playground philosophy. "Every child deserves someone to look up to, someone who will give them guidance and who will step in when the bully comes calling." We have two problems with this thinking, the United States is the younger child compared to the ages of the countries for which we are fighting. Second, we step in to help with a bully and all the other social issues fall into a battle that is already strained to its limits. The referee, the United Nations, says let them kill each other and we will not have to render a count down, our hands will be blood free. True others are paid to fight a battle, but it is well known that our government thrives on war. It is an economic stimulator, population thinner, makes the rich even richer and the already powerful more so. We have fought a good fight and now it is time to bring our troops home to the freedom they so richly deserve. We have shown what can be accomplished by fighting, if the people of that country want to continue the battle, let them do so. War spelled backwards is raw and that is exactly what it creates a lot of raw, gnawing emotions. I appauld you for taking on this political cauldron. There are beautiful, wonderful people in every nation and land. But there are also those that believe to the victor belongs the spoils. To our nation, do not treat our troops as spoils of war. Bring them home to the families that love them. Let the other lands keep their religious and social values intact. We will be facing a war on those very same issues soon enough. You made a bold political statement without shouting. If we have to hide or hang our head in shame for simply making a statement then, this "AIN'T THAT AMERICA< LAND OF THE FREE".

Posted 14 Years Ago


I completely agree that freedom is not free, it is won through hard-fought wars and battles. How can Bush, or Obama for that matter think that they can bring peace and freedom to such a lawless country, in fact, all of the Middle East? Now, I hear that we will go to Afgahnistan next, but why? I hope and wish we can bring all of these countries freedom, but that is an unrealistic goal. We can't even fix our own economy, how can we bring freedom to not one but two Middle Eastern countries while also staring down China and North Korea? All the while, unemployment continues to rise, people suffer, and no one does anything. I live in Michigan, which is frequently the state with the worst economy in the United States. Because of this, I see the worst of things, and it has not made me optimistic about the change in regime. Bush wasn't the best president, far from it, but that doesn't automatically mean that Obama, the core opposite of Bush, will be any better and from the looks of things it's not. I apologize for the digression, but I completely agree that freedom is not a gift, and I don't understand how people can assume that because we're the best country in the world we can solve everyone's problems. Great write, sincerely, great job.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Firstly, I appreciate the fact that this writer has modestly reminded readers, that this piece reflects "her opinion". As with many intelligent and righteous people, JC has also emphasised her support for the military in the Author's Note - so that is also most welcome!

Now, what do I make of this writer's submission to my Contest? Well, I agree with many of the implications. Firstly, yes, freedom is not a "gift". Furthermore, it does sometimes have to be fought for. Even if that means going to war, and losing many lives.

It would have been worth adding, that the "jihadists" include fighters from other countries too! Indeed, it is not just their motives which are dubious. Also, from way this piece was written, it certainly looks like it had started as a conversation. However, I am sure that JC is pretty much aware of this.

Now, I will introduce a few controversial details. And yes, I accept that the following will not be accepted by some of you. Well, in such poor countries, life can become almost like a commodity. After all, such people do not often have many alternatives to trade with. Furthermore, the sacrifice of their lives in a jihad (holy war) is actually encouraged by the Islamic extremists, thus further diminishing life's value. In other words, it becomes more cherished to sacrifice your life as a martyr, than actually preserving one's life or trying to improve a given situation.

Whilst I agree with JC's point about the role of money in the ongoing barbarity of the Islamic extremists (or jihadists), some really do believe in their cause. Personally, I think that they would probably have found other motivations to attack the greater nations, anyway. But, at least we would have had JC on our side! Those Islamic extremists would have had no hiding place!

Thankyou kindly, for entering my Contest!

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I support the military, but I don't support fighting a war that can never be won. I agree with your poem and I hope that your friends and family fighting will come home safely.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on July 6, 2009

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing
Looking For Clues Looking For Clues

A Story by JC



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Just Rebrand Just Rebrand

A Story by JC