Looking For Clues

Looking For Clues

A Story by JC
"

Commentary on the Fort Hood Shooting

"

 

The incident at Fort Hood, in Kileen Texas has the press producing headlines like "looking for clues" with the deaths of 12 soldiers and 31 wounded personnel, including Kimberly Munley, the officer credited with stopping the shooter.
 
Suffice it to say, it is a sad day in America when our soldiers are safer in a military combat zone, than in their own backyards. What is even more sad, is the Army scratching their heads trying to figure out what went wrong.
 
Major Nidel Malik Hasan, the identified shooter, was not a impulsive or irrational individual, but on the contrary one that was well organized. He calculated every step leading up to November 5th.  Much like another American, Timothy McVeigh, he was dissatisfied with the military and how his government was handling foreign affairs. He was not afraid to vocalize his discontent with the United States involvement in Iraq and Afghanistan.
 
Like McVeigh, there were clues already in place.
 
Someone knew that for almost a decade, Hasan had tried to get out of the military. Someone knew he was a victim of a hate crime. Someone knew his record at Walter Reed wasn't always stellar. Someone knew that he had increasingly become more religious. Someone knew he was afraid to be deployed. Someone knew of his rants on blog sites. Someone knew he was on the radar. Someone should have been paying closer attention.
 
 
Although Hasan was a deeply religious person, this was not about retaliation.
 
This was about one man not being able to face his demons and an organization who assisted him in a downward spiral that resulted in a manifested melt down.

© 2009 JC


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

JC, having been in the military during the Viet Nam war, the military, I can tell you that the military has not changed one bit. He told them that he did not want to go. That should have been the firt clue. That he was Muslim was the second clue. But in the end this was about the army protecting its investment. And yes is it also about what this man did.

He is alive, and I, and all Americans, want to hear what he has to say. I want to know whose name he is going to call out.

I want him to say that this was his only way out. He had hoped to die; he did not. He may be the first military execution since WWII. I am not sure that that will be the answer. Can we afford to be the better person and spare him? Or shall we allow vengance to rule the day.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

this touches the core of the reader, the subtle intensity is underlined by the remarkable way you unfold the plot.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good write, JC, and this happens too often in the schools, as well. Kids bully other kids and take advantage of teachers too. A pass them along and lets not get targeted as a poor school philosophy does not get it. The military is way too bulbous and a huge gastronimical animal that has to take information one bite at a time and not just dump gigabites into the ether. If they can train jet fighters to track and destroy numerous multiple targets, then they also have to be able to feel and neutralize discordant vibrations that tear apart fragile minds as well.
They ignore what they should look at and are too stubborn with what should be evident is wrong.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Yeah know that was one hard hitting little expose and needed to be said... nothing against our troops because I respect what they do but it is the leaders who always think if they ignore a problem it will go away... they say it is a really common occurrence for murder suicide for soldiers as well for them and their spouse... we need a military but they need to do more to make sure the soldiers are getting the proper mental health and pull people out of the military when they become a threat.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Wow, this was very nice.
Flowed smoothly.
Well-written.
Great write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


JC, having been in the military during the Viet Nam war, the military, I can tell you that the military has not changed one bit. He told them that he did not want to go. That should have been the firt clue. That he was Muslim was the second clue. But in the end this was about the army protecting its investment. And yes is it also about what this man did.

He is alive, and I, and all Americans, want to hear what he has to say. I want to know whose name he is going to call out.

I want him to say that this was his only way out. He had hoped to die; he did not. He may be the first military execution since WWII. I am not sure that that will be the answer. Can we afford to be the better person and spare him? Or shall we allow vengance to rule the day.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Excellent point. Many answers to questions I was pondering that day...., I wondered if there were any signs whatsoever of a man on the brink of losing it. Often times we fail to see the real truth beneath the "act" many put on in daily life. Its hard to hold blame against anyone but the shooter, but can serve as an eye opener to TRY and prevent these types of things from happening in the future. Excellent points, and well stated JC. It was a sad day indeed...

Posted 14 Years Ago


Very nice journalist viewpoint. This is a horrible tragedy that has countless victims.We must continue to lift the familes(shooter & victims) up in prayer. thank you for sharing this piece with us. Very nicely written!!

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

527 Views
7 Reviews
Added on November 7, 2009
Last Updated on November 9, 2009

Author

JC
JC

Fort Worth, TX



About
I am 40+ year old native of Fargo, North Dakota, (yes I said Fargo.). I've journaled, blogged and written poetry my entire adult life, and now I am starting to write a novel, which if published, will .. more..

Writing