Denny's At 2 AM

Denny's At 2 AM

A Story by Jennie C.
"

I love observing people and creating imprints of them, little stories.

"

Everyone had their own story. The brunette in the back corner was a single mother working two jobs to support her three kids. She was in for a bite to eat before she would rush home to her waking children, with just enough time to pay the sitter, and get her on her way. The tall lengthy boy was a student, working here to pay his way through aeronautical school. Everyone would have a story to tell of how they carried out their time.

She was different, and I instantly knew this. The way she carried her bag in, her sketchbook carefully guarded as she set up shop at the small makeshift office. Pencils and paints carefully laid out, each in its own place. Ashtray handy to hold the cigerette she would occasionally take a puff of, inhaling the smoke into her lungs, pausing a moment, and then exhaling. She was so young, yet she carried the soul of someone far beyond her years.

I didn't know her name, but each time I saw her, I'd pray that this information would be leaked out, and the girl I was intriqued by, would have a name. But only the photographs were taken as I blinked in her apperence. I wanted to dive into her thoughts,leaving no stone unturned. However, I would only observe her and think to myself, what a remarkable imprint, she had left in my mind.

She had a quiet melancholy about her. But the redness in her cheeks almost gave away her secret. She couldn't hide behind her drawings and paints any longer. You could see the pain her her eyes well up when he silently slid into the booth in front of her. Moments later they quietly whispered their tribulations to each other.

She was an artist and because of this, she was untouchable.

© 2009 Jennie C.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this. I do it too: look around at people and imagine their life stories. The last line, that she was untouchable because she was an artist, I love it. Also I like the image of the carefully guarded sketchbook, because that's how I am with my notebooks/journals. This was good, I liked it a lot.

Posted 14 Years Ago


I can very much relate to your piece, I loved it. I enjoy the narrative and the way simple things are expressed with an echo of real passion.

Posted 14 Years Ago


In my young days I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I work a terrible job. 4pm to 2am. I would watch and create friendship with the people at Denny. Same people most nights. A excellent poem. Brought back some memories. Flow and story is excellent.
Coyote

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

197 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 14, 2009

Author

Jennie C.
Jennie C.

Union, NJ



About
The truth is, I've been writing since I could hold a crayon. I would scribble things out on paper and then urgently tell my mother the story. I continued through elementary school and then into the tr.. more..

Writing
Drunk Drunk

A Poem by Jennie C.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Eclipse Eclipse

A Poem by Robin