The First Date

The First Date

A Chapter by J. F. Charleston

Jacob drove down to the town diner. A nice place it seemed. Old photographs hung on the walls and a jukebox in the corner. Booths lined the windows and tables were spread out across the building.

 

"How many?" The receptionist asked as Lauren and Jacob walked through the doors.

"Two." Jacob answered. They followed the receptionist to a booth that had a view of the parking lot. "I hope this is ok." Lauren smiled as she looked up from the menu.

"This is great." She said to the cute cowboy in front of her.

"Your dad is great."

"Was he hard on you?"

"No. Just did what every dad does before his daughter goes out with a guy."

"Good. 'Cause my brother would be the complete opposite."

"He's probably not as bad as you say."

 

Lauren smiled at his sentence. A waitress came by and took their order. Lauren got a baked potato that was loaded with sour cream, cheese, butter, chives, and chopped beef. Jacob went with a chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes on the side.

 

They were lost in conversation the whole time. When one of them were talking, the other was sipping on their drink and listening to every word. When Lauren was going in more depth with her family, Jacob's phone rang. He just silenced it and focused back onto Lauren's words. After a couple of hours Jacob's phone beeped and a text message from a friend came up. "Hey, man. You still coming fishing?"

Jacob answered the text and put the phone away.

 

"What's up?" Lauren asked.

"Oh, sorry. A friend wanted to know if we were going fishing." Jacob said looking at Lauren's beautiful face. The light from outside sparkled her eyes. They were magnificent and full of life.

"Would you like to come?" Jacob asked suddenly. Lauren was very surprised by his request.

"I would love to..." She started to say.

"But?"

"But I don't think I'm properly dressed."

"You're perfectly dressed." Jacob and Lauren both smile at one another.

 

Her cheeks turned pink and became warm. This cowboy was really taking a liking in her.

"Oh, I don't think so."

"If you insist, I'll take you home so you can change."

"I would appreciate that."

 

He took her home and waited for to finish changing. Kristin walked into the living room and sat next to Jacob.

"You guys are very cute together."

"She's amazing." Jacob told Kristin, who nodded her head in agreement.

"So you guys met at the bar last night?"

"Yes. We danced and talked all night."

 

Lauren walked down the stairs and into the living room. She wore jeans and a old college shirt. Her hair was now brushed and straight, instead of grunged and curly.

"Ready?" She asked walking over to Jacob.

"When you are." Jacob replied standing up.

 

They met up with a couple of Jacob's friends down by the lake.

"Lauren, this is John, Peter, Sharee, and Morgan." Jacob introduced her to a couple of his friends.

"Hi, I'm Lauren." She said shaking their hands.

 

The guys were dressed like Jacob; hats, jeans, and shirts. Sharee had a skirt and shirt. Morgan had jeans and tank top. Peter and the rest of the guys grabbed the fishing gear from their trucks and set up lawn chairs next to water.

 

"Let's see if we can catch a good one." Peter said as he baited his hook. Lauren looked at the many bait options that were available. Minnows, worms, and crickets.

Jacob grabbed a minnow and stuck the hook right through its eyes. The rest of the group chose from the different ones. 

 

"You know how to cast one of those, right?" Jacob asked Lauren before she sent his minnow flying in to the water. She looked up from her rod with a "Yeah, I know what I'm doing" look. He just smiled and casted his.

 

Lauren was having a difficult time trying to get her hook far out into the water. Jacob and John both exchanged looks, and went back to their red and white bobbers. After ten minutes of Lauren trying to cast her line, Jacob sat his pole down and walked over to her.

 

"Here, like this." He said as he positioned himself behind her. His hands wrapped around hers and her arms adjusted to the way his were. The way Jacob positioned her hands felt uncomfortable for a second.

 

"Ok, reel in your line." Jacob told her. She reeled it in a couple of inches before the bobber hit the end of the pole.

"Ok." Lauren said as she waited for more instructions.

"Ok, hold down this button..." He pushed on the button with her thumb. "And swing your line back and whip your arm. Then let it fly for a couple of seconds."

 

She followed his instructions and the line went farther than the others.

"And now?" Lauren asked happily as Jacob started back for his pole.

"Watch the bobber until goes under, and when it goes under, reel as fast as you can." Jacob replied picking his own up.

 

Lauren watched the little ball bob for a while waiting for it to go under. She looked around at the group and Sharee reel in a fish. The others watched in silence at their bobbers out in the water.

 

"Hey, you want something to drink?" Morgan asked Lauren as she watched her bobber.

"Sure." Lauren answered taking her eye off of the plastic sphere.

"So how did you and Jacob meet?" Morgan handed her a bottle of water.

"We met at the honkey tonk last night."

"I should've known. Jacob can be so dreamy there."

"Yeah, he sure can. I gave him my cell number last night and he asked me earlier if I wanted to have lunch with him."

"Jacob loves being with a girl like you. I have a feeling that he really does like you."

"Well we talked for hours on end last night and this afternoon."

"He loves getting to know people, especially cowgirls like you."

"Really? I didn't even know how to cast a line."

"He doesn't mind. And how come?"

 

Lauren just shrugged: "My dad took me fishing a long time ago and I usually spend time in my family's stables."

"Oh, well I haven't been on a horse since I was 20." Morgan said reeling in her line.

"Why do you reel in when there's nothing on it?"

"To try out a new spot." Morgan smiled and prepared to cast.



© 2013 J. F. Charleston


Author's Note

J. F. Charleston
Pic not by me. Still in work, so any suggestions are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

it's interesting. i like your basic characters and I would definitely like to learn more about them. i guess i would call this a subortinate chapter; the ones that introduce you to the characters better but are not significant for the development of your story. Good one!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I liked this chapter :)
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


A very good chapter. I like the description of the location and the very good conversation. A very entertaining chapter. Good when when two people talk and learn of each other. A very nice ending to the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it's interesting. i like your basic characters and I would definitely like to learn more about them. i guess i would call this a subortinate chapter; the ones that introduce you to the characters better but are not significant for the development of your story. Good one!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ah-h-h, fishin' down at the local fishing hole with friends. I love doing that, and still do it quite frequently. I wonder what in what direction you'll be taking us on? I guess I'll have to put on my waders and come along for the ride...

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J. F. Charleston

11 Years Ago

I'm glad that you want to come along. It'll take some time.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

437 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 25, 2012
Last Updated on March 26, 2013


Author

J. F. Charleston
J. F. Charleston

TX



About
"Write from the brain and heart. Join them to create one great piece of writing." J.F. Charleston. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Illusions of Love Illusions of Love

A Poem by AK


Chapter 19 Chapter 19

A Chapter by Forgotten


Stressed Stressed

A Poem by Forgotten