Duty Calls

Duty Calls

A Chapter by J. F. Charleston

Jacob walked into the county sheriff's office barely dragging his feet across the floor. He gave his regular morning greeting to the deputy behind the front desk, and headed for the coffee maker. The aroma filled his nostrils telling him the coffee was just brewed.

 

"Hey, man", Jacob's partner, Jason, said to him as he reached for the coffee pot. "I saw your truck last night, and some cute girl was driving."

"Yeah", Jacob yawned. "Had a little of a long night last night."

"Dude, if you keep going out like that the Sheriff ain't going to like it."

"I know, I know." Jacob took  a sip of coffee.

"Just try not to get into the habit." Jason walked to a table and sat down.


"Good morning", the Sheriff said as he walked up to a podium, and Jacob settling in a chair next to Jason.

"Good morning", Jacob and the other deputies greeted back.

"Seeing some glossy eyes, everyone get enough sleep last night?" Jason gently poked Jacob in the rib with his elbow. 

 

"We've got a busy day ahead of us today. We have warrants for the arrest of four known drug dealers. Barrett and Palmer will take two and Rodgers and Harris will take the other two. The rest of you will take the daily beats. Be safe out there, that is all."

Everyone got up and Rodgers and Harris walked over to Jacob and Jason.
"Here, y'all take them", Rodgers said to Jacob handing him two files. "Y'all be safe out there, ya'hear, Barrett?"
"Yes, sir", Jacob answered the veteran deputy.
"Don't let Rodgers push you around, Harris", Jason said to the rookie that was assigned to Rodgers as they started to walk out of the office.

"So, tell me about that girl that I saw driving your truck last night", Jason asked Jacob as they were walking to their cruiser. Jacob just smirked and got behind the wheel of the car.
"Come on, man." Jason insisted.
"Ok, she's a girl I'm seeing."
"Be careful, man, girls that pretty usually tear you in half and smash your heart to pieces."
"Dang, man, that's a little much don't you think?"
"Nah, that's what the last girl I was seeing did to me."
"Well, I appreciate the advice. Haha."

"Sierra 57 to Central, over", Jason said over the radio.
"Central to Sierra 57, go ahead, over." Dispatch replied to Jason.
"10-76 to 1043 5th Ave. for warrant serve. Over."
"10-4, Sierra 57. Over." 

Jacob turned down a street that's poverty stricken. The houses were small and old with siding starting to come off and faded paint beginning to chip. The car pulled up in front of the house and a two young men that matched the description of the two drug dealers that had warrants out for arrest.

"That's them", Jason said.
"I got'em." He replied flooring the accelerator.
"They're splitting up. Stop here and follow the other." Jason rolled out of the car.

Jacob kept on the other suspect and knocked him over. He ran out of the car and over to the dealer who was trying to get up.
"Stay down. Sheriff's Office, I have a warrant for your arrest", Jacob said cuffing him. "Palmer, I have one in custody."
"I've got the other", Jason replied panting.
"What's your 10-20?"
"West Rockwell and Robin."
"10-4"

"That wasn't so bad", Jacob said closing the back door to the cruiser.
"You didn't have to chase'em down on foot", Jason said with a smirk. "Sierra 57 to Central, 10-15, over."
"Central to Sierra 57, 10-4, over."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good job today, boys", Rodgers patted Jacob and Jason on the back. "The thing that's crappy about this job is the paperwork."
Jacob and his partner were sitting at their desks filling out paperwork of their take down and others from the past week. He couldn't focus, his mind was focused on Lauren. What's she doing? How is her day going?

"Alright, that's twenty reports finished, I'm outta here", Jason said getting up from his desk. Jacob looked at his watch and it said 5:30. He looked at the stack of finished reports on his desk which was a little bit taller and decided to call it a day.

"Hey, Lauren", he said walking to his truck.
"Hey, Jacob", Lauren answered the phone. "You want to get some dinner?"
"Haha you read my mind."
"Say, the diner in 20 minutes?"
"Sounds good, I'll see you then, Sweetheart."
"Ok, I'll see you then. Bye."

He climbed into his truck and turned the ignition and it didn't turn over. The lights all came on and everything, but it didn't turn over. He looked over the gauges and the fuses and everything looked good. He had gas, the battery was charged, and it wasn't over heated.
"I guess I'll have to leave it here and have it towed tomorrow." Jacob thought to himself.
"Hey, my truck won't start", he called Lauren who was on her way into town.
"Ok, I'll be over in a little bit", she said.

"Do you know what it is", Lauren asked getting out of her pickup and walking over to hug him. Jacob just shrugged his shoulders, "Everything looks fine, it might be the fuel pump. I'll have it towed tomorrow."
"Ok, you hungry?"
"Haha, I'm starved."
They climbed into her truck and they made their way to the diner where Jacob first took Lauren.



© 2019 J. F. Charleston


Author's Note

J. F. Charleston
Still not sure if I should add to this chapter. Any feedback is welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

70 Views
Added on October 16, 2013
Last Updated on January 14, 2019


Author

J. F. Charleston
J. F. Charleston

TX



About
"Write from the brain and heart. Join them to create one great piece of writing." J.F. Charleston. more..

Writing