Under the Bridge

Under the Bridge

A Story by J.L Hunter
"

Josh, Davy and James rest on the beach as night creeps upon them.

"

          The air was growing colder as the sun descended across the sky. A murky orange film spread across the once unmarred blue, tufts of diseased clouds hung indifferently just above the horizon. The sun itself was a small red orb suspended by only a few thin strands of invisible wires, it's radiance cast a dull amber light on the shimmering waves that rose and fell carelessly.

           Josh looked out upon the water from the rocky beach, perched atop a brittle slab of driftwood. Behind him were the only one's left, his friends, who had suffered the unimaginable horrors that lay waiting just beyond the tree-line, undoubtedly watching them with their sick, red eyes. Davy, who was prodding the fire they had managed to construct, sat cross-legged on the sand, his long brown hair hiding most of his face, except for one eye that somehow surveyed not only the dancing flames of the fire but beach as well. James sat with his legs in front of him, his hands rested on his knees and his head hung low. His back was to the water. He was waiting for the creatures to emerge from out of the canopy of palmettos. James' gun lie next to him, within reach, safety off, loaded with ten bullets.

           They sat underneath the bridge that was seemingly the only remnant of the world that they had known. Everything else was either destroyed or possessed by what they called the Lych, the glowing blue light that had emanated from the empty houses. Josh had learned to stay away from those; though the doors and windows were always unlocked, once inside there was no way out. He could still hear the distorted voices coming from behind the dry-wall. Calling for him in their throaty whispers.

           The bridge rose high above the surface of the water, disappearing into the densely clotted fog which seemed to drift, it's tangled wisps sporadically reaching out like long talons grasping for something unseen. James had thought the ominous mist was what was left of the dark wind that had thrown itself upon them, causing the whole mess. It had something to do with shifting dimensions, they all had learned that much from the man in the cell next to them where they had been prisoners by the gang of parasitic and horribly deranged madmen -they were all dead though, burned in the fire they themselves created. He had told them that there were many worlds, but some had been connected by thin particles that acted as quantum tunnels between all existence. What the Dark Wind had done was blur those lines that differentiated the two worlds, the light and the dark.

           They all waited, until morning, when the three of them would make their way across the bridge, through the demon that had diminished itself to but a thick fog. However weak it may be, it's children would be following closely behind.

           What little light was left had begun to dim. Josh clutched his jacket closer to his chest as the cool breeze had begun to pick up. The firelight flickered, casting wild shadows on the on the sand. Davy had sat the stick he had been using to poke the fire down beside him. The glow of the flames accentuated both Davy and James' features and as Josh looked back at the both of them, he thought they looked sick. He knew he definitely was. All they had been eating were the cans of potted meat and stale crackers that they had salvaged from the grocery store.

           The steady beat of the waves became faster, more uncontrolled. The sound of the water crashing against the rocks as each wave crested higher and higher.

           The amber light had deepened into a dark red, spilling what looked like blood across the waters edge. Josh jumped down from the driftwood and as his feet landed onto the gravel below he thought he heard something from the thicket of palmettos.

           Davy and James heard it also. They both stood up, Davy turning around with one swift movement. James already had the gun drawn, one eye peered down the iron sight toward an opening in the bush where they had come from. Josh could still see the footprints that they had failed to cover up. How foolish they had been, although the truth was that they were simply tired.

           Movement again, the sound of shuffling footsteps. Davy slowly reached down and pulled the knife he had holstered against his leg. If he had to use it, that is, if James' gun failed to do any justice he would have to get close, and that would most certainly mean death. It depended on how many of them there were, and, of course, what it was that had been stalking them.

           The intensity in both their eyes showed that they knew this.

           Josh bent down slowly, careful to not make any sudden movements and grasped his fingers around a piece of re-bar he had stuck in the ground next to where he had been sitting. The chunk of rusted metal would mean the same as Davy's knife. Nevertheless he would use it.

           The loud shuffling continued. Under ordinary circumstances, they would all undoubtedly pass it off as some animal that was making its way along the woods. But all of the animals were dead as well, no rodent or bird left alive to make such noises. For the most part, all of the human survivors had been left behind, more likely than not they were dead by now. That meant only one thing could be making the noises they heard, the question now, the only thing save for their scarcity of ammunition that kept James from unloading blindly into the palmettos, was whether it would choose that moment to attack.

           James' fingers clenched the trigger tightly, the hammer cocked back, ready to fire.

           Then, as abruptly as it began, the sounds subsided. They waited for a moment, and then finally   James lowered the gun, resting the hammer gently back against the barrel. Davy followed suit and slid the blade of his knife back into the makeshift holster.

           Josh waited a few seconds more, the re-bar held firmly to his side, then cautiously made his way under the bridge and sat on the other side of the fire. He stuck the re-bar in the ground.

           They were all silent, their hearts thrumming violently inside their chests. Sleep would not come that night. That much was obvious. They were the last one's left in the world, and the smell of their blood running through their veins traveled for miles as a loud sudden sound in an large empty room would be easily heard.

           Night crept upon them, it's darkness enfolding around them like a blanket slowly peeling overhead as the last sliver of sun vanished underneath the horizon line.

           It was the last glimmer of light that they would see, for the sun would not come back up for days. Davy had set his watch to let them know when morning came, although even that was not accurate. Things, even time, had been distorted somehow.

           By then, they would have moved on, into the constantly swirling mists where the bridge ended suddenly. Now only the fire's light kept the pitch darkness from enveloping everything.

           And they waited.

           Until the morning came, when they would move on.

© 2012 J.L Hunter


Author's Note

J.L Hunter
This is the beginning of a longer series that I plan on writing some time. The characters were first conceived by me and a friend when I was in high school and the story kind of grew beyond what we had originally planned, which was, what if something like this happened to us... what would we do?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

As you said, I am also collecting rejection slips, but with writing like this it's only a matter of time before you get an acceptance. You did an excellent job of setting a chilly, stark mood. I'm dying to know what's on the other side of that treeline. Keep it up!

Let me know if you need feedback on anything else. If you get a chance, the most horror story I have posted is called Nevercore and I'd love a crit.

Posted 11 Years Ago


J.L Hunter

11 Years Ago

Absolutely. And thanks for the review. This piece is part of a longer story that i plan on writing s.. read more
I think that sometimes your sentences are too long and they begin to confuse me. I like how when i began to read it i thought i had a good idea of what it was gonna be about but came to find out that i had it wrong and it was about something else. So, for me the events turned around if that makes since? Lol! Anywaise, you did a great job and i'm beginning to become a fan of your writing :3

Posted 11 Years Ago


oh this is such a good read, vivid in the imagery and you create tension felt by the reader, I do look forward to more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


This is excellent so far...I like the apocalyptic feel although its been done...Yours seems very original...The unique way you describe the settings are greatly done with a rare quality you don't see much from other writers...Especially in thriller stories you need that chilling setting...Good stuff man..

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

482 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 31, 2012
Last Updated on May 31, 2012
Tags: The Silence, Prologue, Beach, Demon, suspence

Author

J.L Hunter
J.L Hunter

Pensacola, FL



About
Writer. Father. Lover of cheese. Umbrella salesman. Badger enthusiast. Doorknob. Cup. Also, cigarettes. Lots and lots of cigarettes. And beer. Smoke. Sizzurp drinker. Lemon flavor, never grape. more..

Writing
The Curse The Curse

A Chapter by J.L Hunter