The Razor

The Razor

A Story by JLily98
"

A short story of a girl's personal demon and overcoming them.

"

Beautifully brunette, although she never saw her beauty in the face looking back at her. She was created by two with thoughts of goodness and beauty, but despite all the good things, she was blinded by her flaws. Thick eyebrows, a stomach the size of a cantaloupe, though she felt was more the size of a watermelon, and traits of herself she never even knew about, but those who never spoke a single word to her were able to give her a million different versions of herself. “Annoying”, “fat”, “ugly”, “stupid”, “ditz”, but sometimes there would be someone who’d point out something that no one’s noticed before such as “down to earth”, “outgoing”, “creative”, “dreamer” and although all the good were pointed out to her, it was the negative that stayed in her mind echoing the sounds of her so called “friends”.

Most nights, quiet,  so quiet you can hear the sound of a pin dropping; she’d be laying down, wide awake, staring at her blank ceiling with screaming thoughts: “You’re not good enough!” “You’re not pretty enough!” “He’ll never like you!”  As she laid there trying to block those thoughts , she’d search her room for a distraction. The glare from her dim light hitting the silver plate was what she had come familiar with as the best distraction of all.

Years of the same routine of yelling thoughts, soaked pillows from last night’s tears, and pushing those who cared about her most away as far as possible. She now had a new best friend. It was so easy for her to open up to this thin, silver piece of metal that she had once only used for shaving. She no longer had to open her mouth in order to express how she felt. All she had to do was allow it to open her and all her feelings spilled out with every drop and stream of what was suddenly her new favorite color.

Memory overlapping each memory as she looks at her thighs in which one might think is now a damaged piece of art, but she is finally able to look at her reflection and see her beauty. The way her lips form the perfect smile, the way her eyes change colors when you mention his name, the way her thighs touch when she walks, and the way her stomach is now something she can change if she really wanted. She doesn’t see her scarred up thighs as a blockade to reach her beauty. Her beauty shines through them whenever they glisten in the sun. She’s no longer afraid to show off her beauty, though she will never forget her best friend of four years; the thin piece of metal used for shaving as most people know- the razor.

© 2017 JLily98


Author's Note

JLily98
This is a very personal story of mine, but I am open to anything you have to say whether it's positive or negative. I love criticism and am open to ideas.
Thank you for reading :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is a very well compact story... It's starts with both the good sides of her life and the bad sides, but the society and her so called frnds blocked her vision from seeing her beauty, they made her feel like she doesn't deserve anything which was painful.

The world is always ready to judge us, and with the constant demand of perfection in every step of our life we feel like we don't have any worth...

So glad by the ending of the story, which releases something positive and I'm glad that she saw her own beauty... She beautiful just the way she is, no matter how short, fat or thin she is...

Very well told story and the title very much perfect...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is a very well compact story... It's starts with both the good sides of her life and the bad sides, but the society and her so called frnds blocked her vision from seeing her beauty, they made her feel like she doesn't deserve anything which was painful.

The world is always ready to judge us, and with the constant demand of perfection in every step of our life we feel like we don't have any worth...

So glad by the ending of the story, which releases something positive and I'm glad that she saw her own beauty... She beautiful just the way she is, no matter how short, fat or thin she is...

Very well told story and the title very much perfect...

Sincerely
Dhiman

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

266 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 1, 2016
Last Updated on January 13, 2017
Tags: scars, healing, beauty, overcome, self-hatred, razor, sadness, depression, self-mutilation, self-harm

Author

JLily98
JLily98

Brooklyn, NY



About
A girl who loves writing and is proud to share her creations. Hope you enjoy the many reads! more..

Writing