Flowers in the trenches

Flowers in the trenches

A Poem by Jeremy Baker

Trenches remain long after the fighting finishes -

they change sides, get enlarged or filled in,

yet still they remain, ever ready, ever alert,

enamoured of human flesh and blood.

No procreative force can keep pace

with their bloodlust and appetite.

 

Go ahead, try to immerse the world

in peace and love; the trenches shall

not be denied their treasure.

From the mulch that marks the many

residents, from within the decay and dirt

rise remarkable roses.

 

The faded petal, colour of blood,

a speck of life from the depths of death,

like a spiral of souls seeking rebirth in song.

The tears of heaven, falling from the nimbus cloud -

do they sanctify the sinful? Hallow the ground?

No. Trenches would not remain unless they still had their uses.

© 2014 Jeremy Baker


Author's Note

Jeremy Baker
Pour le monde, pas pour la guerre ...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one caught me at an "awkward" moment and I almost gave in and wrote my thoughts...

THIS is YOUR place...and you shone well... didn't need excess trash lying around...

I only mentioned anything at all BECAUSE...
THIS one reached inside... as you meant it to do.

Take care,
Chris

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Trenches would not remain unless they still had their uses

I think that one line says so much. This is a powerful write and the use of images was on point.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Amazing imagery.

Posted 12 Years Ago


thanks for reviewing my poetry a little while back. i love this style of poetry. reminds me of Baudelaire in a way. "like a spiral of souls seeking rebirth in song" is brilliant. overall, i felt like i could connect with this poem throughout the entire reading.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Good imagery here for this reader.

Posted 12 Years Ago


No. Trenches would not remain unless they still had their uses.

Certainly one of your best! The last line struck a raw core in me. I pray my children and loved ones will not have to see these trenches. They wait for a blood sacrifice I fear. These trenches grow the red roses that let us live-on with our selfish way of life.




Posted 12 Years Ago


Excellent choice of title.

Great piece of work. I like the way how you give life to the trenches and how you link the blood of war to the colour of the roses. What is great about this relationship is how you bring a positive out of a negative and smack this back with a question mark. Does this justify all the blood?

'do they sanctify the sinful? Hallow the ground?'

This is wrenching, you bring a smile and take it off straight away with this line.

And the ending is exceptional. You could have ended the poem there and then without this last line, letting the readers pondering on this question. But I believe this last line of yours, in its abruptness, makes the poem more poignant.

No. You answer the question, Trenches would not exist if they did not have any use. Here you take back the life from the trenches and turn them back to a mere object. And in doing so, you send back the responsibility to the humans.

And in doing so, you make the transition from blood to roses even more beautiful. The natural tendency is towards the beautiful. The only atrocity that is ever committed is by man...

Brilliant

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Strong imagery with a beautiful juxtaposition between life and death - great write :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


War...what is it good for. That is my favorite line in a song. This reminds us that we will always have squabbles with each other for no damn good reason. blood has been poured upon the ground and it seems it always will be for one reason or another.

Posted 12 Years Ago


War is hell... Memory is purgatory...


Posted 12 Years Ago


So much packed into this well written poem, the phrasing was spectacular, brought the imagery to life!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1614 Views
34 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on October 6, 2011
Last Updated on August 26, 2014

Author

Jeremy Baker
Jeremy Baker

Busselton, South West, Australia



About
I'm a former English & Literature teacher who has always enjoyed the magic, power and simple romance of words well written. My favourite writers include Pablo Neruda, Liam O'Flaherty, Anthony Eaton.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..