By The Window

By The Window

A Story by Joey Nizz

They were two young girls, in their mid twenties. These girls occupied the same room in a hospital. One girl was allowed to sit up in her bed or walk around the room each morning to help the circulation of her blood flow in her lungs. Her bed was next to the room's only window. The other girl had to spend all of her time flat on her back. The girls sometimes talked for hours and hours. They spoke about their families and their dreams, their hobbies, homes and jobs, their involvement in the corporate life, where they wanna be on vacation and etc..

And every morning when the girl in the bed by the window could sit up, she wold pass the time by saying and describing all of the things she could see from that window to her roomate. The girl in the other bed began to live for those one hour sessions where her world would be expanded and inspired by all pf the activities and colors of the world outside of that window.

The window overlooked a park with a beautiful lake. Swans and other birds floated and swam on the water while the children sailed their model boats or fished with their fathers. Young lovers walked hand in hand amidst flowers and roses of every color of the rainbow. Marvelous oak trees graced the picture of the scenery, and a fine view of the cities skyline could be see in the distant horizon.

As the girl by the window described all this in  excellent and exquisite detail, the girl on the other side of the room could close her eyes and just imagine the picturesque scene.

One cozy evening the girl by the window described a festival that was happening in the park. Although the other girl could not see the festivities she could see it in her mind's eyes as the girl by the window portrayed it with excellent descriptive words, Days, nights and weeks have passed.

One morning the nurse has arrived to nrng water for their baths only to find the lifeless body of the girls by the window, who had died peacefully in her sleep. She was saddened and called the hospital attendants to take her body away. As soon as it seemed appropriate, the other girl asked if she could be moved next to the window The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure she was The nurse was happy to make the switch, and after making sure, she left her alone. Slowly, painfully, herself up on one elbow to take her first look at the world outside. Finally, she wold have the joy of seeing it for herself. She strained slowly and turn to look out the window besides the bed.

It faced a blank wall. The girl asked the nurse what could have compelled his deceased roommate who had described such wonderful things outside this window. The nurse responded that the girl who passed was blind and could not even see the wall, She said ""Perhaps she just wanted to encourage you."

© 2019 Joey Nizz


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such beauty from one soul to another....the live within a pure heart can be compared to nothing....such a special little story...🌹

Posted 4 Years Ago


Joey Nizz

3 Years Ago

Thank you and I really appreciate your review.
Lovely! I enjoy stories that are sad and beautiful at the same time. You did a fine job on this one.


Posted 4 Years Ago


Joey Nizz

4 Years Ago

Thank you very much for your thoughts and review Lea ^^
Lea Sheryn

4 Years Ago

You're very welcome.
Waking up to this realization is much more painful than the new found silence in the room. The feeling of not having known enough about such a selfless soul while you still had time (especially the intricate detail of blindness), would haunt you. wishing you could have done more to encourage her too.

Sad story! But thank for sharing Joe

Posted 4 Years Ago


Joey Nizz

4 Years Ago

Your welcome, thank you for the review.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 2, 2019
Last Updated on November 2, 2019
Tags: Window, Hospital, girls, Injured, blind, Encouragement

Author

Joey Nizz
Joey Nizz

Manama, Reef Island, Bahrain



About
Whatever the mind and heart creates, I put it down with my pen on a paper, whatever inspires me and whatever inspires others, I got to share the inspiration and the knowledge and the hardship that I a.. more..

Writing