Spring

Spring

A Poem by JohnL
"

After a long February drive through Hoar frosted ways and icy roads, I dwelt on this then decided to make it really difficult by choosing a metre of 11. I think it has made it sound a bit like Betjeman.

"

 

An experiment in the use of a somewhat unusual and dare I say, somewhat difficult metre (11.12 x10 AA BB CC etc) Critical comment appreciated. At least the poem carries images of hope and goodly cheer, telling us that Spring is here. Oops, there I go again!!!
 
 
SPRING
 
Hoar frost: tree hanging, branch bending shroud of white              
Wrenching morning chill from the cold, dark grip of night,                            
Clenching the hands as blood flows thinly round veins                          
Of shivering risers scurrying for early trains                                        
In hats and gloves and overcoats, vacuum packed,                                 
Collars turned high against the cold, and mufflers stacked                                 
In multicoloured rings round snuggled shoulders                     
To greet the newly opening, bright-tipped holders                                  
Daring to penetrate Winter’s iron will - -,                                                
Buds of primrose, snowdrop and thrusting daffodil.         
 
JohnL       30 April 2008                 

© 2008 JohnL


Author's Note

JohnL
Go for it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Well I would say that your experiment is a great success. This was a very enjoyable read.
I adored the line: "Wrenching morning chill from the cold, dark grip of night"
Which creates such a wonderful sensory image and besides, I just like the way it sounds when you read it out loud.


Posted 15 Years Ago


I could totally picture everything you wrote in my head--which is a good thing! This whole piece is very descriptive and--I don't really know why--but to me it seems almost..mysterious.
Great work,
~Lauren

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

sweet awakening!
I liked this winter will to end with the glorious spring.
"Daring to penetrate Winter's iron will - -,
Buds of primrose, snowdrop and thrusting daffodil. "

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A classic style poem, written with such class. A piece I could see in a book of poems by famous poets. Very descrptive. I am usually not as interested in poems with nature or spring, but this one pulled me in. Good job.

Kena

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
4 Reviews
Added on July 10, 2008
Last Updated on July 12, 2008

Author

JohnL
JohnL

Wirral Peninsula, United Kingdom



About
I live in England, and love the English countryside, the music of Elgar and Holst which describes it so beautifully and the poetry of John Clare, the 'peasant poet' and Gerard Manley Hopkins, which d.. more..

Writing