Tutu and I

Tutu and I

A Story by JohnL
"

The tale of a wimp and his wife (and mummy)

"

 

TUTU AND I
 
 
 
 
We have a wonderful marriage, Tutu and I.
 
Somehow, everything is lovely all the time. And even when I suggested that mummy came to live with us she raised no real objection.
 
Well she said she could bear it for my sake. Isn’t that wonderful? I think she really appreciates the £5 a week that mummy pays to help with the housekeeping. I just don’t know what we’d do without it, and she must really appreciate the lovely woolly cardigans and bobble hats that keep appearing in unexpected places. Mummy knits them especially for me and hides them ‘cos she’s so modest. They save me a fortune and they’re really ‘with it’.
 
Tutu is so considerate. When mummy suggested putting her hair in rags to make lovely ringlets and save money, Tutu said “Oh No”, so loudly that it was obvious that she was appalled at the thought of the trouble it would put mummy to.
 
Actually, mummy saves us lots of money. I had decided to take Tutu to the church beetle drive for a special treat but they both looked so crestfallen, so I decided to stay home and look after mummy while Tutu went out alone to her sewing class. She came back so radiant (she looked like the cat that had got the cream) that I said she should go more often.
 
Every time she came home, she looked happier. She really seemed to get satisfaction coming back with rosy cheeks, a twinkle in her eye, sometimes even perspiring and dishevelled with the effort she put into her backstitch. There’s always plenty of milk so I make a lovely cup of cocoa for us all. Mummy is, of course delighted. We play very exciting games of snap together. 
 
Oh it’s so jolly while Tutu is plying her needle, raising her hems and re-ordering the sheets.
 
“Mummy, Mummy, I can’t find Tutu anywhere, have you seen her?”
 
“Yes Jeremy dear, she’s taken two large suitcases of sewing tonight. She got a lift on the milk float.”
 

© 2008 JohnL


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Good old Tutu! That's what comes of bringing Mummy into the house!

Posted 15 Years Ago


Oh my, what an unexpected ending ... still rosy cheeked Tutu with two suitcases off and away!

There's a gentle flow to this story, nothing to suspect, nothing to frown over - the feeling is one of calm: you really hoodwinked this reader!

'She came back so radiant (she looked like the cat that had got the cream) that I said she should go more often.' < I should have guessed but, I didn't

Thank you so much for sharing.



Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

170 Views
2 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 27, 2008

Author

JohnL
JohnL

Wirral Peninsula, United Kingdom



About
I live in England, and love the English countryside, the music of Elgar and Holst which describes it so beautifully and the poetry of John Clare, the 'peasant poet' and Gerard Manley Hopkins, which d.. more..

Writing