An Irish Gathering

An Irish Gathering

A Story by J.Paddy

Saturday was a bright and cheery day in the County of Clare. The expected downpour of rain passed over the massive farmlands leaving a shower of glimmering sunrays instead. An early morning mist blanketed the grass, which dimmed the land to a frosty shade of green. Gone was the wave of heat that caused so many farmers discomfort and a pleasant cool breeze soothed everyone instead.

     Donie  lived through many days like today, only this day would prove to be more memorable than any of those days that passed. He eagerly awaited for the arrival of some guests. Special guests. He looked up the dirt road that led to his cottage in Derryfadda to see it empty, except for a few grazing cows and wondered what his guests would look like. Some of them, like Flan and Mary, he remembered at his daughter, Suzanne's wedding a few years back. But Michael, Antoinette, Una, Carmel, and Christy he hadn't seen since they were youngsters. 

     Donie put up his hand to shield the blazing sunlight from his eyes and squinted again at the road.  This time he saw a tiny billow of dirt rise from behind a beige minvan. Nearer and nearer the van approached leaving a lengthy trail of dust behind it, until Donie could hear the tires crackle on the stones of gravel that carpeted his driveway.  Just when Flan, Mary, and her family stepped out to greet Donie, he saw two more cars in the distance. Flan and Donie hugged, then Mary advanced to embrace her older cousin. "Mary?" Donie gasped, "Don't you look fine. And these two?" he motioned towards her two children. Mary stood behind her son and daughter and made the introduction, "This is Mairtin" and "here is my youngest, Mary."

     "No, yer pullin' me leg. Aern't yer now?" Donie had seen pictures of them as infants, and he forgot that those pictures were more then twenty years old.

     Two more car doors slammed shut, and Donie looked up to see more cousins."How are ya,' Donie. Remember me? called out Antoinette.

     " I most certainly do, young lady," he replied. "But you have to help me with the rest of yer clan, there."

     After the introductions were made, Donie's wife, Kathleen brought out a huge pitcher of freshly squeezed lemonade.  They each filled a glass with cubes of ice and sipped the most welcome cold beverage. Donie did not want to waste such a beautiful day, so he and Kathleen had prepared for an outdoor barbeque. While they sat and caught up on old times, they heard two more car doors close, which was followed by an unfamiliar voice asking: "Hello, Hello, is anybody home?" after which a female  voice queried: "Mmmm . . .maybe ther're in the back?" Donie stood and waved to them. Then he smiled so wide his cheeks ached. Now he began to feel emotional and reverently gasped, "Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and all the saints . . . ." Michael walked to his cousin and hugged him, then announced: "Donie, here is my little angel, Evan, me wife Orla, and . . ." Donie slowly stepped forward, covering both hands over his mouth, all the while unsuccessfully trying to stifle his sobbing and wailed: " Jim and Billie. . .Jim and Billie. . .it's Jim and Billie. . . ." His voice trailed off and he grabbed each to hug them tight as they all walked to the back of the house. They never made it there since the entire Spaight clan had already followed Donie to the front of his house where Jim (aka Paddy) and Billie were warmly greeted by each one.      After Donie swallowed his last bit of Irish soda bread, he looked at all the faces in front of him and silently offered a solemn prayer of thanks and also thought of the many loved ones who passed on. Most assuredly, this Saturday was a bright and cheery day and an occassion Donie will always remember.

© 2014 J.Paddy


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Im at the fire with the comforting smell of peat toasting and a wee dram as you tell this in the true tradition of the ages. Thanks J P
Really enjoyed this

Posted 9 Years Ago


J.Paddy

9 Years Ago

Tis a pleasure me tale made you glad. Bless you for this beautiful comment - it made me day.
This warmed my heart and put a big smile on my face. :)


Posted 9 Years Ago


J.Paddy

9 Years Ago

Ana, I must tell you something aboutthis little tale. My wife and I were set to go to meet my relati.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing that story. :)
I have to agree, when it's from the heart, it shows.
read more
Mr. J. Paddy,


I do not know what to say, this was so many things and one in the same.



Only i can do is offer a cigar and a glass of whiskey out of respect.

Posted 9 Years Ago


J.Paddy

9 Years Ago

Thank you, I pray that your cigar was sweet and the whiskey exspensive.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

373 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 24, 2014
Last Updated on June 24, 2014
Tags: Ireland, family, relatives, first encounter

Author

J.Paddy
J.Paddy

Richmond Hill, NY



Writing
My Hero My Hero

A Story by J.Paddy



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..