A Hypocrit's Criticisms On Religion

A Hypocrit's Criticisms On Religion

A Chapter by J Tesla
"

An essay for my AP Language and Composition class which I posted for feedback and criticisms. On a side note, I am actually very superstitious and firmly believe in the existence of Gods and deities.

"

Religion: the belief in and worship of a superhuman being or controlling power. Religion has the power to cause wars, genocides, mass suicides, and other unspeakable acts in the name of faith. Many people use religion as a sort of mental or emotional support in a society where politicians take money over the welfare of the people, and where murderers can exchange time in a boarding house known as prison for someone else’s life. The concept of heaven gives people a peace of mind that they will go to a better place after death. Paradise, Jannah, Heaven, Shangri-La, Elysium, Canaan, there are many names for this place but it is almost always described as a peaceful utopia where God(s) and angels dwell. However, does this utopian afterlife really exist? 



There is no solid evidence that God(s) or an afterlife exist; neither is there sure evidence that they do not. Religious texts such as the Bible and Qur’an document many plausible stories of adultery, war, Heaven, and God. However, seeing is believing, and many scientists doubt the credibility of the Bible. According to the King James Version, God created the world, light and darkness, all living creatures, and he also created “Woman out of (a rib of) Man.” This story, as well as the rest of the Bible, seems more rhetorical than literal. However, there are those who truly believe in the Bible’s words. Many people still take the Bible literally, word for word, and devote themselves to a God they cannot see, hear, or touch.



Bidpai’s short story “How Light Belief Bringeth Damage” warns against such gullibility in a simple tale about a thief and a knight. In the story, a thief and his partner attempt to steal from a noble knight’s home. The knight, realizing that he was being robbed, devised a simple plan with his wife. He pretended to tell his wife about a special conjuration that enabled him to “embrace (the moonbeams)” and fly. The thief overheard the conversation and believed the knight because of the man’s reputation of “credit and integrity.” The brigand jumped off of the abode’s roof in an attempt to test the spell. As to be expected, the spell did not work and the thief was rewarded for his foolishness with two broken legs and an arm. Just as the thief trusted the knight, many people trust religious leaders because of their “reputations.” However, appearances can be deceiving.



Many religious leaders have been shown to be deceptive hypocrites. Warren Jeffs was the leader of the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, and was also convicted as an accomplice to the rape of a twelve year old girl. He initiated the marriage of two teenage cousins, and attempted to hang himself in jail months before the trial, stating that he had been unworthy of priesthood and that he had been “immoral with a sister and daughter.” Archbishop Earl Paulk, the 80 year old leader of a suburban Atlanta mega-church, was charged with multiple cases of forced sexual affairs. Several women from his church told authorities that Paulk had used his position in the church to manipulate them into sex scandals for years. He also fathered a son with his brother’s wife. Ted Haggard was also caught in the vertex of a sex scandal. Haggard was one of the most influential Evangelical Christian leaders. He was the founder and senior leader of the New Life Church in Colorado Springs, president of the National Association of Evangelicals, and participated in weekly conferences at the White House. Haggard represented millions of people, and even had direct access to George Bush. An outspoken critic of gay marriage, Haggard had thousands of followers who believed in him. Ironically, this man was revealed to have had a three-year long homosexual relationship with a gay prostitute. To top it off, the male prostitute told authorities that Haggard had used methamphetamine multiple times. Haggard eventually admitted to have purchased meth from the prostitute on several occasions. Remarkably enough, Haggard still preaches in a new church in Colorado Springs. It is frightening to think that people such as Haggard could have risen to such a high level of power. In addition, are preachers the only hypocrites?



There have been many conflicting views of what God(s) is/are like. Some religions portray their superhuman rulers as wise, benevolent beings while others portray them as intimidating tyrants. People pray and worship a God whom they cannot see, hear, or touch; and what does he do for them? He does provide a ray of hope for troubled souls to lean on for support, and that may be enough for some people; but how can a God love his followers and condemn non believers to Hell as well? Jonathan Edwards earned remarkable fame during the Great Awakening as he preached to the masses the power of God. In his sinister sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God,” Edwards repeatedly portrays God as an infinitely powerful sadist who toys with insignificant humans on a mere whim:


The wrath of God is like great waters that are damned for the present... the bow of God’s wrath is bent... The God that holds you over the pit of hell, much as one holds a spider... abhors you... he looks upon you as worthy of nothing else but to be cast into the fire...


According to Edwards, “it is only the power and mere pleasure of God” that spares humans from the fiery depths of Hell. Is this what a God should be like? Should people cower in fear and worship this higher being who sadistically toys with his followers?



The Bible is full of conflicting images and contradictory statements. For example, the Book of Psalms of the King James Version, states “The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works(King James Version PSA 145:9).” However, later on in Jeremiah it states “ And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them(KJV JER 13:14).” Also, does God encourage or discourage war? In Exodus chapter 15 it is stated: “ The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name( KJV JER 15:3).” Later in Romans chapter three, the Bible states “ Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen(KJV ROM 3:23).” After close analysis of the text, it is clear that the Bible contradicts itself and its meaning is shrouded in a jumbled mass of contradictory phrases.



Some people may view God as the almighty savior who will grant them a place in heaven. However, others take advantage of the power of religion, and use it to influence the masses. Fear is a powerful tool in manipulation. Fear can drive a person into a corner and move them to desperate measures. Since the earliest civilizations, religious leaders have taught people to fear God(s) and to worship in hopes of being granted passage to Heaven. The results of proper cultivation can be frightening.



“Jesus Camp” is an eye-opening documentary of extreme Evangelical Christians. In the film, dozens of children are conditioned to the point of obsession with God and religion. Countless scenes of children crying, chanting, and passionately worshiping God incites memories of Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World. However, instead of children being conditioned to obey the rules and morals of society, the children in “Jesus Camp” are being trained by parents and pastors to worship God above all else and to gain power and spread the web of religion. Watching young children being sent out to advertise and speak to strangers about God is like watching the Church breed child soldiers of religion.



The power and influence of religion is frightening, and should be worrisome to people. The number of Al Qaeda members committing suicide in the name of Islam is a looming threat to American society. Sam Harris warns against such religious obsessions and threats in his brief essay “God-Drunk Society.” He compares America to a “rich, southern auntie.” and scoffs at the idea that “We elect presidents and legislators who speak with terrifying certainty about an imaginary God, and with disgraceful ignorance about established science.” Religion is full of hypocrisies and is only a tool for people to use in order to gain power.



© 2013 J Tesla


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

-'Religion has the power to cause wars, genocides, mass suicides, and other unspeakable acts in the name of faith.' You have failed to mention the wonders that religion drives people to do. There is always good with evil.
-There is no solid evidence that God(s) or an afterlife exist.' Although there is no solid evidence that God(s) or an afterlife don't exist. Please keep that in mind.
-'“it is only the power and mere pleasure of God”' Please remove these quotes. That was never written in any passages.
-Try to limit that amount of different religious texts are used, and specify which is being analyzed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J Tesla

11 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing out the bias and improvements. Also that quote is from a sermon by Jonathan E.. read more



Reviews

-'Religion has the power to cause wars, genocides, mass suicides, and other unspeakable acts in the name of faith.' You have failed to mention the wonders that religion drives people to do. There is always good with evil.
-There is no solid evidence that God(s) or an afterlife exist.' Although there is no solid evidence that God(s) or an afterlife don't exist. Please keep that in mind.
-'“it is only the power and mere pleasure of God”' Please remove these quotes. That was never written in any passages.
-Try to limit that amount of different religious texts are used, and specify which is being analyzed.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

J Tesla

11 Years Ago

Thank you for pointing out the bias and improvements. Also that quote is from a sermon by Jonathan E.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
1 Review
Added on March 20, 2013
Last Updated on March 21, 2013
Tags: Religion, opinion, critique


Author

J Tesla
J Tesla

CA



Writing
Elliott Elliott

A Book by J Tesla


The Beginning The Beginning

A Chapter by J Tesla