The God Of Aimlessness

The God Of Aimlessness

A Story by Jack Fitzpatrick Kelly
"

My first ever short story. Parable about God and the human condition.

"

In the beginning there was no darkness. In the beginning there was no light. In the beginning there was only being… and a monkey. That monkey dreamed of being; he wanted to be. He dreamt of being every waking hour and every resting moment. In the dream the monkey saw a god far up in the heavens. The monkey dreamt of this god for as long as he could. Then he could not. He looked at his hands and said that they were the hands of god. He looked down to the stream and saw the face of god. He looked up to the heavens and saw no god. He wanted to meet this god in the heavens. So with his hands he started to build upwards. He looked around for things he could build with and looked at his s**t and with the hands of god he picked a pile of his s**t. These are the foundations. He looked around and he found clay. He was ecstatic. He no longer had to toil in his own feces. He was above that. Then the clay ran out. Looking for something else he found a tree. He was happy. He used the tree and built a way up. Then the tree was no more. He looked around with  eyes and from his tower he saw everything. “How could I have been so blind” said the monkey. He climbed down from his tower and saw the biggest animal he had ever seen. He told this animal about his dream with the god in the sky and the great tower he was building, but the animal did not care. He hated the animal his hands were not like his own. The animals s**t stank fowler then his own. If the animal did not see this god he was lesser. He told the animal of fields of wheat and promised him everlasting milk if he would help him. The beast agreed. He hated the beast even more. “Only thinking of himself” said the monkey. He soon found that everything he saw from his tower only thought of themselves. He hated them all, but if he knew how they thought, he knew he could persuade them. 

Most of them ran faster than the money, so they were fitted to ride. Most of them are stronger than the monkey, they were fitted to plow. Couple of them had hands like his own, but the ones that did toiled in their own feces. They were not befitted to reach the heavens. They were befitted only to dig.He saw to it that they dig the biggest hole as far away from the heavens as they could be. When the monkey was done with the lesser creature he used the bones to reinforce his tower. He told the other animals that the bones are a symbol of what happens when you disobey god. 


With his tower half way up the heavens a bolt came down dislodged some of his great tower. A sign from the heavens he knew. It was a reaffirmation that the god was angry at the animals below for not believing in the tower. He came down from his tower and saw the great hole the other monkeys had dug. Rocks of all kinds he saw around them. He reminded them of the reason why they are digging. They paid him no mind. So with the rock that they had dug, he cracked their skulls. He reminded them once more why they were digging and used the rocks to build his tower higher. The lesser ones toiled and toiled until they could work no more. When they were done, he used the bones and rock to build to the highest heights.

He had finally reached the clouds where the bolt struck him from. He knew that he was not high enough but he wanted vengeance on the cloud for striking his great tower. He used his rocks from the hole that he had dug and destroyed the clouds. From now on the only clouds that were permitted were the clouds that he created. He put the clouds to work and built his tower to where he could touch the heaven. He stood on his two legs and reached up and grabbed, but when he opened his hands he saw nothing. “I have touched the heavens,” he exalted. He looked around and saw no god. He saw nothing. He looked down and saw no being that he did not allow.  What then was he to do, but to proclaim himself.

© 2020 Jack Fitzpatrick Kelly


Author's Note

Jack Fitzpatrick Kelly
Please critique (Including grammar and spelling). I would love to hear what you think. This is my first ever short story and it needs all the help it can get. If you love it I WANNA HEAR IT, If you hate it I WANNA HEAR IT. I take criticism very well (I hope).

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe



Author

Jack Fitzpatrick Kelly
Jack Fitzpatrick Kelly

Nashville, TN



About
I am crap and I write crap. more..

Writing