Under the Glass

Under the Glass

A Story by JackieLaRipper

I lie on my left side, staring into the detailed depths of the snow globe which I had bought a few hours earlier at the bargain corner for $4.99.

            My bedside table held my alarm clock, my lamp along with my newly purchased snow globe.

The sphere was made of real glass, or crystal, which causes it to be very heavy for its size. I had to hold it with both of my hands, the size and weight being too great to be held with one.

The “snow” of the globe was a purple-white glitter that fell amongst a valley of multitudinous flowers and a few trees. A luminous blue-green river snakes through the middle, a quaint castle resting over the shining water.

The castle must be made of glass also for it was transparent save for a few spots glazed with an almost clear periwinkle. The purple-white glitter nestles itself amongst hand-painted flowers, trees, spires and turrets of the castle.

Gently placing my hands at the base of the globe, I lifted it upside down before placing it back in its spot by the lamp. The glitter floats down on the picturesque glass kingdom as I enter the realm of dreams.

                   .                            .                            . 

I stand in the midst of a meadow of ubiquitous flowers and a crystal tree here and there. Everything, every tree, every rock, every flower was effulgent, giving off its own light. The foliage glows as if the large purple moon is a black light in the inky sky. It is dark, but the light emanating from the vegetation and trees enables me to see.

The trees appear to be made of colored ice shards; the radiant flowers grow either waist high or knee high. Some of the waist high flowers look similar to poppies, their soft petals limpid and riddled with blue veins encompassing their fuzzy blue centers. Another type comes across as pale purple and pink roses half the size of my head, like peonies. I almost pick one before I observe wicked black thorns running along the length of their green stems.

Petals of square cut emeralds, heart shaped sapphires and sharp pointed amethysts dazzle my sight.

The perfume of many flowers wreathes around me with a curious underlying scent as a zephyr blows through the field.  The gem flowers undulate in the breeze as I make my way forward, running my hands along the velveteen petals.

Glitter rains down around me like resplendent snow. The whole scene fills me with rapture, the plush leaves and petals tickling my legs. The sound of purling water is not far off in the distance.

Following the whisper of water, I come upon the banks of the gently flowing river. I don’t pay great attention to the aqua colored water for the coruscating castle piques my curiosity. The fall of glitter lessens as I climb the steps of the glass castle.

I’m absolutely amazed that my subconscious mind could create this Elysian place as I enter the large castle. The floor is transparent, the river seen through the ice cold, smooth surface.

Something abhorrent caught my eye in the slow paced crystalline water.

Hundreds of dead faces glare at me from under the glass. Their opal eyes didn’t stare off into space, instead they were all fixed upon one point, me.

I couldn’t scream, I was hypnotized. I fall to my knees to get a better look or in shock, I’ll never know. The stench of death has now reached my nostrils, overpowering the wonderful aroma of flowers. They give the impression of being carved out of white marble, chiseled and beautiful. The women’s hair stream out behind them, the men’s hair barely ruffled.

All of the marble dead were laid to rest in the same position, their head facing south, stiff arms across still chests.

The chilly water had become their blood, black trailing seaweed their hair, smooth gray river stones their frozen hearts.

They had me in a trance with their disturbing beauty, their unblinking opal eyes. I am suddenly overwhelmed with the need to join them in their watery graves, to be a part of the masquerade of the gorgeous dead.

My arms rose to break the impeding glass when all their jewel eyes blink in unison, ending the spell.

  My arms fly out in surprise before hitting an invisible object. Instantly the sparkling glass shatters all around me like the previous glitter rain, only sharp and deadly.

The splinters of free falling glass meet my skin-

I jerk awake in my bed, the glass snow globe kingdom broken to pieces on the floor.

© 2015 JackieLaRipper


Author's Note

JackieLaRipper
I am new on here

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on March 24, 2015
Last Updated on March 24, 2015
Tags: dreamworld, snowglobe, death

Author

JackieLaRipper
JackieLaRipper

missoula, MT



About
love to write, but have writers block most of the time. more..

Writing