The Wizard's Apprentice Prologue

The Wizard's Apprentice Prologue

A Story by Jharak
"

The story of Jharak, an unusual boy who finds himself under the tutelage of an eccentric wizard. He must learn how to use his magical potential, for he is destined to help save the world one day!

"

Prologue


The Northern Realm hummed with spirits and insects in the dark light of the crescent moon. The natural glow the Sage-born spirits would emit was dim as they slept with peace, and without worry.

However, one spirit in particular was restless, she awakened in time to see a dark cloaked figure carrying a bundle. Intrigued as to why this strange occurrence was happening in the small hours of the day, the spirit hid from tree to tree, leaf to leaf, following the dark shadow all the way to Esmerelda, a city that had been built nearly a century after the Second Demonic Wars.

As the new morning’s sun was slowly bringing a blue glow above the horizon, The cloaked figure swiftly jumped the stone walls with ease. As he glanced back, his scaly blue features hidden so only his platinum colored eyes were visible, Eridas knew that whatever the cost, he could not be seen.

He sprinted down the cobblestone street, every now and then gazing at the hidden bundle to ensure it’s safety. He needed to find a safe haven for his only son, but who would take the child in? The boy was born from both Realms, a beautiful half-elf mother, a disgraced draconic father.

Eridas stopped in his tracks as he saw a building in the far corner; Madam Treneau’s Orphanage. This was not his plan, but the city would soon be awakening and time was of the essence. He approached the short set of stone stairs in the front of the building and removed his hood to reveal stark blond hair with blue streaks hanging to his shoulders. He was glad, at least that the transfigure spell he performed gave him enough of a disguise that he could look human.

With a heavy heart, he unwrapped the bundle in his arms to reveal the face of a sleeping infant with vague scale like markings and short brown hair that was parted by a pair of pointed half-elven ears. In spite of the scales, Eridas knew this child would look like his deceased mother.

Eyes glistening at the thought of seeing her mangled corpse, Eridas spoke softly, “Jharak… I wish you could know just how much your mother and I love you… and how much it pains me to have to part with you. We may not be with you in person, but you will always be in our minds and our hearts. One day, we shall meet again. I’m sorry it has to be this way. Goodbye, my son.”

His claw-like hands shaking, Eridas placed the child on the front steps, then took out a tied scroll for whomever found him. He stepped back just as the red sun was peaking. The spell was wearing off. He quickly covered himself, then took one last glance at the child he would never know. With a brief incantation, he teleported away, hoping that one day, he would recognize his son when they crossed paths.


© 2016 Jharak


Author's Note

Jharak
This story is based in the universe of Edaria created by a friend of mine. Sort of an anthology concerning my character in the dungeons and dragons game that he is in. This is his tale before he became embroiled in a prophecy to defeat the two evil daemons who once again threaten the security of the world of Edaria. You can see excerpts from the universe on her profile: Hope_Lescase

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

An interesting opening to a story. The premise, while not all that original, is still one that cleanly sets things up for a later date.

One thing to keep in mind is that of perspective. You start the story from the perspective of the sprite, then suddenly switch to that of Eridas. There was no transition so it took a moment to realize what was going on. Additionally, it leaves me feeling like there was no point to the sprites in the beginning of the story. What was the purpose of introducing the sprites if they literally play no part in the story?}

Anyway, you have some potential here. Keep it up.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jharak

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback!



Reviews

An interesting opening to a story. The premise, while not all that original, is still one that cleanly sets things up for a later date.

One thing to keep in mind is that of perspective. You start the story from the perspective of the sprite, then suddenly switch to that of Eridas. There was no transition so it took a moment to realize what was going on. Additionally, it leaves me feeling like there was no point to the sprites in the beginning of the story. What was the purpose of introducing the sprites if they literally play no part in the story?}

Anyway, you have some potential here. Keep it up.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Jharak

7 Years Ago

Thanks for the feedback!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

161 Views
1 Review
Added on August 24, 2016
Last Updated on August 24, 2016
Tags: Magic, Sorcerer, Wizard, Dragons, Fantasy, Elves, D&D

Author

Jharak
Jharak

VA