If You Honor What They Fight For...

If You Honor What They Fight For...

A Story by Sarah
"

Try having a little compassion people!

"

I do not want to talk about politics here. Rather, it is as a philosopher not an American that I speak today.

 

War is not a decent thing. I think anyone who is not insane will admit to that- it is a breakdown of everything we as Mankind strive to be- civilized, mannered and humane. But despite our best efforts since World War II, this degradation of man has not ceased. Between gross violations of basic human rights, nuclear fear and suspicion, and general global distrust, we are born today into a world that is as divided as it was a thousand years ago, and perhaps even more.

 

But there is one thing that we all have in common- we are all human. We as a race are struggling every day, in our separate ways, to survive the best we can along all aspects of life. And despite our vast differences of opinion on government structure, sex, race and religion, we yet are still ONE RACE of beings! It is my opinion that now is about time we started acting like it.

 

That, I believe, is what we should concentrate on in this war. It might have begun over oil, it may have been paid for by corrupt politicians. It may be wrong, immoral, it certainly is indecent, but it is HAPPENING. While we at home go about our daily lives, there are people in Iraq and around the world, American and otherwise, who are fighting, pleading, negotiating, searching, bleeding and dying. All for a chance at a better life, not just for themselves, but for others. And while the road to Hell itself is paved by good intentions, we as mankind cannot help but be compassionate and take into account those intentions, for no man who acts for the good of the many can ever be far wrong.

 

And so if you honor what they fight for-- not who they fight for-- then surely we can grant them some respect? Respect for the men who do what they think is right, compassion for the people whose lives will never be the same, sorrow for the lives lost in a struggle that never should have been necessary? No matter who you are, where you are, what you do with your life-- take a moment to thank God or your lucky star that Earth still holds men and women of ACTION, not just of words, and admit, if only to yourself, that you respect them for having the decency to care, even if they express it in an indecent manner.

© 2008 Sarah


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I want to answer to the lady down there,Kelly Borris..
What about our lives ,our freedom ,you forgot that ,or we dont deserve talk about these things,we are just not good enough
What about the thousands of families that not just lost one of its members but they were killed all every one of them,no one left
How could you speak like this and then be able to go to sleep,will you be able to do it..I could tell you how they died
whole families on the road in a car with a gush of bullets all lied down dead right there,they have nothing to do with anything
can you be proud of that ..Ok then be proud of the thousands of killings if that satisfies you if it gives you pride in your freedom
if your freedom could not come but with so much blood and so much dead like about one million and a half thats what the UN
says..if you are glad with what you are done,then it never honors me to speak with such who view things this way..

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.

while i respect every man or woman who decides to fight in the military, there has to be a point at which individual must simply say enough is enough and refuse to serve. whether you want to apply that to germans of conscience in world war 2 or moderate muslims today who reject terrorism or vietnam era draft dodgers, it's all the same. intentions of the warriors mean little if the cause is wrong and the methods are questionable. one must, indeed, follow one's conscience, but it's very very important that one puts their consciences to work in the decisions they make.

Posted 14 Years Ago


No matter who's behind the leading of the troops into battle, I always have and always will support the men and women who give their lives for our freedoms. Let's not forget their families who give up so much, and lets not forget how the government let's them down in so many ways....let's get their backs on the things they need the most, the basics in life like food, shelter and good educations not to mention healthcare for their families!
Nice write!
Kelly

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Westminster, CO



About
My name is Sarah (obviously) and I am 20-years-old. I've been writing poetry since I was 12, but my real ambition is to be a young adult fiction writer. I love getting reviews, especially when they're.. more..

Writing
Confidence Confidence

A Story by Sarah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain