Twenties and Counting

Twenties and Counting

A Story by Sarah
"

Oh youth- thou slave, leave me soon!

"

It is my opinion--so do not count it as overly provable--that twenty is not such an enviable age! To be sure it is an age of romance and flights of fancy--prodigies, poets and that passionate fervor one always associates with youth, but not, in my experience of life and observation, a particularly happy time. Despite parties, whimsical shopping and the unoccasional good time, the post-teen pre-parent era is filled to capacity with all the anxieties of life and none of its wisdoms or good sense.

 

The top three people I can name who have had the greatest positive impact and influence over my decisions in life, my happiness and my own quest for sanity in an insane world are all over the age of forty!

 

And where are such people among my own peers? Certainly there are those I admire, those I respect and many, many dear friends, but we all seem to be waiting for something, as though the next Spring or sunrise might suddenly reveal our character to us, and send us flying over the formidable hedge of youth, over the gap of years and into the Valley of Age where we can happily, contentedly and wistfully glance back, wisely lamenting our wasted youth, as though we had not just left it.

 

If the twenties, as an age, are anything but anxious and fast, they are depressingly dull and I for one cannot wait to see an end to them, however foolish my friends of all ages may think me for wanting to condemn the verve, beer and sex that recommend them!

© 2008 Sarah


Author's Note

Sarah
Don't bother telling me I should enjoy it!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This piece has so much insight, beyond your years. I have always said the opposite of the popular saying. I say, " I wish I knew now...what I knew then. " At twenty I knew it all, it was all so simple." But, when you're twenty the truths start dropping like autumn leaves on a windy day. I loved this write. As you age, you've see so many things you were sure of...change, you begin to accept your ignorance. There is a peace that comes when you admit it is futile to understand certain things. There is a wise saying " He who says he knows..knows not...and he who says, he knows not...knows." You write with a wisdom beyond your age. Oh, I loved knowing it all, and the insanity of youth...and if I could go back for a while , I would. But, there is a beautiful moment that occurs when you accept the mysteries of life, and just live. Beautiful piece. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

No one is happy with their age....i remember being 13 and all the other teenagers wanted to be older so they can drink, smoke, whatever,,,,and are such in a rush to grow up....now we are in our late twenties and some of them talk about back in the day......like the highlight of their life is being a rebellious teenager.....which is sad

well i wont tell you......you should be happy being 20......I'm almost 30 and im happier now than i was in my early 20s......in my early 20s...i graduated college and was like now what???? jaja....and alot of people are in a quarter life crisis....its hard to find our place in the world and be content.....the only thing i will say is embrace the moment,,,,and continue reading :).....don't waste time thinking too much about what you should do by this age or that age.....you will only make yourself crazy for no reason

great piece :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


Life is most enjoyed in retrospect. In high school and college, as we toil over our alien texts, we long for the halcyon days of our youth. As Young adults we struggle to kick start our careers and remember our years of secondary education. When we struggle to raise children and save for our agedness we miss our young adult days. That leaves our old age ... when we pine for all past days.


Posted 15 Years Ago


you make twenty sound so bad! lol. im still looking forward to mine. good write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


I've lately been suffering somewhat of my own twenties crisis, sitting on the cusp of adulthood, struggling to maintain the carelessness and naivet� of even two, three years earlier. It's terrifying, aging, but it's something I suppose we all must go through. It's interesting that you desire to be older rather than younger. It will be interesting to see how you feel about your thirties.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

no, i actually agree, at 18 i'm already being forced into adulthood, i have to makeup for my mothers poverty level income just to pay the bills, i find that ive lost a big chunk of my free time without anything to show for it except the continuation of the roof over my head and even then i dont have enough to fix the broken toilets, but as hard and as rushed as this transition is, it fills me with an uncanny pride to think that im earning my keep and "contributing to society. but i long for that spending money most teens work for, their only bill being gas (to take them places they dont really need to be and i can barely afford to get to work) they have so much left over and if they get fired, who really cares, they didnt NEED to work in the first place
but at least ive fopund some satisfaction even though i still dont get how the gain of $30 justifies the loss of a day

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Twenty does not appeal to me. I prefer 15. I'd be willing to take 35 if offered.

Twenty year olds, from what I have seen, are not that bright. The girls get drunk, have sex with black men and sometimes women...at parties...in front of many people. The men get drunk, have sex with women...at parties...in front of many people.

If all the twenty year olds would get drunk and jump off a cliff, this world would not be losing much. But not you...you seem intelligent. The world may need you one day.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

No worries, been there, done that, and lessons learned here. But, I'm not sorry for what I've done, we all have our own curiousities and stupidity at the same time. I'll admit that I have several regrets

Anyway, it's all pretty good and kind of surprised me that it's written by you at your own age like that...


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I rather hated my twenties - but - as one who has left those days behind - I have to admit some nostalgia for them. Yes, I had bills to pay but not near as many. Yes, there was lots of youthful drama but not nearly as serious to deal with as today's. Yes, there was heartache and pain, but a youthful heart recovers so much more quickly. Perhaps your friends lack the wisdom you seek, but - I'll bet they have other attributes that you admire - else, they wouldn't be your friends lol. So - I'm not going to say enjoy it - but, don't wish it away so quickly. :-)

laura

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

lol. a nice new take on an age i'm currently riding the tail of.

there were a few things i thought were a little strange...

"contentedly and wistfully glance back" - did you mean to have these two opposing adverbs next to each other? i read it and wondered which you imagine feeling at 40... content or wistful?

the ending lines although no bad had me a little confused. they may read a little better if just slightly rephrased.

again not much to say about this only that i found your position to be amusing and more true than not.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This piece has so much insight, beyond your years. I have always said the opposite of the popular saying. I say, " I wish I knew now...what I knew then. " At twenty I knew it all, it was all so simple." But, when you're twenty the truths start dropping like autumn leaves on a windy day. I loved this write. As you age, you've see so many things you were sure of...change, you begin to accept your ignorance. There is a peace that comes when you admit it is futile to understand certain things. There is a wise saying " He who says he knows..knows not...and he who says, he knows not...knows." You write with a wisdom beyond your age. Oh, I loved knowing it all, and the insanity of youth...and if I could go back for a while , I would. But, there is a beautiful moment that occurs when you accept the mysteries of life, and just live. Beautiful piece. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

359 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on March 23, 2008

Author

Sarah
Sarah

Westminster, CO



About
My name is Sarah (obviously) and I am 20-years-old. I've been writing poetry since I was 12, but my real ambition is to be a young adult fiction writer. I love getting reviews, especially when they're.. more..

Writing
Confidence Confidence

A Story by Sarah


Vroom! Vroom!

A Story by Sarah



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


For You For You

A Poem by Celtic Cat


Winter Winter

A Poem by Imperfection