Trials

Trials

A Story by Jake Staffeld

     The sky was dark, as clouds obscured a dim moon. No life was in sight. John knew he was near the goal, but he couldn't tell where it was in the darkness.
     He was cold, hungry, sick, and tired. His perseverance was at an all time low. He could feel victory ahead, though, and this drove him on.
     In truth, he hated this entire ordeal. It took so much time away from what he really wanted to do, from his life. It was difficult and dangerous, and uneccesary. In the day, the blazing sun bleached everything bone white. At night, the darkness was so deep it made him blind. The few animals that managed to survive here were viscous beasts with teeth that could cut through bone and claws like swords. By far the worst thing was a lack of supplies, though. There was virtually no food and no water for his entire journey.
     He quickly realized that speed was key. If he took to long, he wouldn't survive. John found he was crossing ten miles a night, and he still wasn't going fast enough. He grew exhausted in  short order, and this affected more than just his physical strength.
     He'd started to notice changes in himself early on. Soon he was hallucinating. At first he talked to himself, but the sound of silence became sweet very quickly. Shudders racked his body every time he thought of his old home. He felt stronger even as he weakened. The Wastes started to feel like a home, and he began to feel comfortable there. Hatered and distrust of people and the society he had come from took hold on his fevered mind during moments of clarity.
    John fought this change as hard as he could. He knew that he'd been altered by the trial. He realized that if he had never taken the trial, he'd be happier. But he also knew he was helpless against such a powerful tradition.

© 2011 Jake Staffeld


Author's Note

Jake Staffeld
It started as a war story, but became a trancendentalist story.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's a very dark, strategically beautifully done writing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


compelling. good writing, drew me in easily.

Posted 12 Years Ago


nicely written jake :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I think there's a typo in the third paragraph "unecessary---> unnnecessary"

But aside from that...WOW! What a mysterious tale. The suspense was very fulfilling and the monologue vivid. I wouldn't have written this this way so kudos on your approach:)

Good one

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love this Jake.. such emotion and powerful imagery.. I am glad you went trancendental with this. Great write!

Posted 13 Years Ago


"Hatered and distrust of people and the society he had come from took hold on his fevered mind during moments of clarity."
A very strong story. I like how you brought me in with mystery and a road trip. I like how the story got stronger and more interesting. I like the ending. You left out a lot of hidden story. The story had great possibilities. The who, what, why, where and how could create a great tale. A outstanding chapter.
Coyote


Posted 13 Years Ago


" In truth, he hated this entire ordeal. It took so much time away from what he really wanted to do, from his life. It was difficult and dangerous, and uneccesary. In the day, the blazing sun bleached everything bone white. At night, the darkness was so deep it made him blind. The few animals that managed to survive here were viscous beasts with teeth that could cut through bone and claws like swords. By far the worst thing was a lack of supplies, though. There was virtually no food and no water for his entire journey."
This paragraph was almost like a poem. You described everything perfectly. Wonderful write :) 100/100

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

246 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 22, 2011
Last Updated on April 22, 2011

Author

Jake Staffeld
Jake Staffeld

Bend, OR



About
I'm in college, whoooooo. I like all kinds of rock, and songwriting. That's how I got into Poems in the first place. Some of these will actually be songs of mine I've modified. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..