Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by James Bonner
"

My work in progress manuscript

"

 

Of course I had been imagining it, this all to familiar ringing -It came with the territory, or at the very least with the means in which I had acquired it.  But then it was gone, the ringing, it resembled that of a muffled telephone receiver-just noise.  Even still certain familiarities stuck with me, apparently conditioning themselves into my psyche.  Like the vibration of a muted cell phone in the back pocket of my corduroy pants long after the phones been disconnected.  The only thing that really caught me by surprise was the window seat.  I had gone out of my way: turning my back on my morals,  passing money under the table, and  sleeping with the right people for the windows seat.   I'd never flown before but heard great things.  All those hours spent at check in, security, the airport gift shops, the coffee, the big mac, the waiting area all culminating to this moment; in the window seat.  I was strapped in to a chair shaped flotation device with my tray in the up - right and locked position, brought down only for my microwave salisbury steak and a fourth or fifth glass of something alcoholic, of anything alcoholic - I was celebrating and what’s not to celebrate?  This was the window seat.  The gentleman in the next seat had his small plastic cup of bourbon, but why? He served no real purpose.  He might as well be in first class with a hot towel and leg room.  Coach was fine, its purpose suited me.  I was not picky, I was interested.  My mind flooded with questions, doubts and ideas.  The proper procedure in the event of a crash, I had memorized it.  Devoured its essence.  Silently shouting, I felt it crawl up my vocal chords I took a sip of something and it was warm as it descended throughout my body,  only exciting me more.  The air above me was on full, was I sweating?  All I Knew for certain was the button placed suspiciously on the arm handle caused a tingle in my spine.  The gentleman a seat over had noticed and from the corner of his eye cautiously glanced while taking another sip of bourbon.  He was a salesman, traveling a lot.  Both his kids were in college, they found comfort in being away from home.  Putting off studying for those late night parties and cheap chemicals swimming in their veins.  Pregnancy Scares, emergency room visits, beer runs he knew where the money was going but what could he say?  So it meant late nights, more trips and less time with the wife.  Who who had begun her affairs long before the kids even left for school.  The bourbon didn’t help him forget, he just talked more.  All he wanted was someone to listen.  But how could I listen? I was guarding the window seat.  I couldn’t tell anymore if the humming was the engine or the repetitive beating of my heart.  Everything they said about flying was true, but it didn’t matter anymore, nothing mattered anymore.  Then an unfamiliar bing startled me out of my thoughts and a calming voice settled me into a peaceful ease.  




© 2010 James Bonner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

interesting. The analisis of the surrounding characters painted a colorful picture, and kept the story moving. Great stuff!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

316 Views
1 Review
Added on February 8, 2009
Last Updated on June 28, 2010


Author

James Bonner
James Bonner

Santa Fe, NM



About
I am a writer living in Santa Fe, New Mexico. WritersCafe is like my dessert, an opportunity to experiment and develop different aspects of my writing through feedback from fellow writers. more..

Writing
Short Bio Short Bio

A Story by James Bonner