Chapter Five

Chapter Five

A Chapter by James Bonner

“Knock, knock”…   “Knock, knock”  Sure, I have on occasion been one to hear things.  Things that No one else could hear, things fabricated by my cerebral cortex. “Knock, Knock”  But never have my hallucinations played jokes on me, or asked me direct questions.  “Knock, Knock”  “WHO”S THERE!!”  I shouted.  It was just a matter of time before I started earning unsure looks from my fellow passengers but I had hoped it wouldn’t be until the last few moments of flight.  Perhaps on the descent.  As I would lose it, screaming and yelling.  Cries that “we’re not going to make it” and  “we’re all going to die!”  Before a number of the passengers would hold me down and try shaking reality back in.  Such a primitive aspect of our psyche that has lived for so long, or the obviousness that we are, in fact, descendants of a much less intelligent species.  To shake someone from anywhere into something.  I noticed, obviously somewhat late that the “knock, knocking…” wasn’t part of my imagination but rather to the amusement of that young girl in the row of seats in front of me.  By now she had been sobbing and hiding under the arm of her father, whom I hadn’t noticed till now was searching me over bewildered of why I would yell at and scare such a young, defenseless girl.  The moment, of course, had been lost and any attempt from to remedy the situation with it. "Who's there...?  Where do thoughts come from?  I can’t decide wether experience derives from thought or vice versa, regardless of what happens or may not happen experience seems only to be events that you reflect on.  So many moments in our lives go unnoticed and become disregarded, is it only those that we choose to reflect on that will help to build who we are?  As a result, everything may or may not be real but its meaningless to dwell since its something we will never know.  Even if we did somehow come to fully understand the meaning of yours or my presence would that effect our existence one way or another?  So therefore, our existence is meaningless but because its meaningless we’ve found meaning.  Discovering once and for all that we serve no purpose will only allow us to create purpose, which is and always has been the reasons behind our quest for meaning in the first place.  Otherwise, with or without meaning you’ll be stagnant.  Though that still doesn’t answer where thoughts may come from, the matter of thought… you may spend hours upon hours working through formulas, ideas, situations and find yourself no further than when you started then late that night as you sleep in your bed suddenly you’ll know something you didn’t before.  Wether it be just a method you had not yet tried or an overwhelming truth.  What about the thought itself of wondering where thoughts come from?  We are capable of anything we set our minds to simply because we are capable of the thought. 



© 2010 James Bonner


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! Good idea starting with a little humor. The vocab and the details and mostly everything are great. Although I couldn't quite catch onto the subject... Overall this is interesting so I'll read more.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
1 Review
Added on February 8, 2009
Last Updated on June 28, 2010


Author

James Bonner
James Bonner

Santa Fe, NM



About
I am a writer living in Santa Fe, New Mexico. WritersCafe is like my dessert, an opportunity to experiment and develop different aspects of my writing through feedback from fellow writers. more..

Writing
Short Bio Short Bio

A Story by James Bonner