In-between

In-between

A Story by James Towers

Why do I feel so alone sitting amongst so many of my peers? Sure, there is a dreadful silence that reigns in the cracks between us but I shouldn’t feel this way...should I? Maybe it’s because I’m different. Unique. Well…on second thought, just because I feel or think I am different doesn’t make me so and if we all think we’re different, doesn’t that very well make us the same?

 

 My problem exists because we are all more or less built the same way: same components, same concepts. Some are clearly a thinner than others, physical examples that sometimes less is in fact more while still leaving the room for the wider individuals, who may in fact have more to bring forward with that extra size. Some have been shaped by time, full of cracks, creases and scars to help us remember all they been through and to show us that they may have something from yesterday that is worthwhile looking at today. The marks of age the newer bunch don’t have and make up for with their wholesome, contemporary, and crisp nature. I still find myself troubled. Regardless of the varying degrees to which our exterior may differ, we are all still the same. Why do I feel like an outcast? Not fitting in with those similar to me. Hold on a moment, that’s it. If it’s not our exterior that differentiates us, it must be our interior right?

 

...Right?

 

Maybe that overdone cliché that “You can’t judge a book by its cover” has a real foundation underneath it and the “uniqueness factor” is hiding under the cardboard within the pages. It’s truly rare to find someone who is willing to delve inside a bit before formulating an opinion. I like to call them unicorns.. I must admit I have seen individuals with incredible outer beauty that caught everyone’s attention and then had little to offer once you dig a bit beneath the surface. On the flip side, some of the most lackluster and bland members I’ve dealt with have the most incredible interior evident with just five minutes of interaction.

 

But yes, perhaps I really do think that our content is what sets us apart from the companion we are sitting shoulder to shoulder with.

 

Some have great content and others not so great. Some use their content to teach or help others. A few use their knowledge to build things. Some are powerful enough to change the world we live in and challenge the ideas we so easily accept while some dedicate themselves to following, or adding to those select few. An remarkable few are adored and worshipped by millions while millions of unremarkable individuals are loved by a few. We must truly be different then.

 

In the end, we are all more similar than we would like to admit through our interior and our exterior while still having an undeniable individuality.

I also know that so many of us accept this or even more plainly, don’t think about all this. I just happen to be a as stubborn as the ring mark a cup of coffee left on that old oak table many years ago.

Hell, I also just happen to be a book on a shelf in this dusty old bookstore surrounded by all my peers. 

© 2016 James Towers


Author's Note

James Towers
I am not sure the ending gives the almost dramatic ending that ends up tying up the whole piece together. The kind of ending that makes you re-read with a smile on your face saying "ohhh i see now.."

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

82 Views
Added on March 31, 2016
Last Updated on March 31, 2016
Tags: short story, personification