Yes or No?

Yes or No?

A Story by jamesiee
"

Taylor slaved in the kitchen all day, preparing for his girlfriend to get home. She's happy with a nice, relaxing dinner with her boyfriend. But Taylor is hoping to exchange that 'boyfriend' title for something more.

"

 It was really a simple question. A yes or no answer would’ve sufficed. But no, instead he got an ‘erm’, a slammed door and an empty flat as an answer.

Taylor Spencer sighed. He was sitting on his couch, his mind not on the small leather box in his hand, but rather on the ring inside it. The ring, the object that shattered his heart. Taylor never would’ve guessed that the expensive buggar could cause so much trouble.

He ran his hand through his already messy hair, making it stand on end even more, and thought back.

*

He lit the two candles and tweaked them to perfection before stepping back to admire the flickering light. Taylor smiled, happy with the way everything was going. The food was in the stove, staying warm before Taylor made up the plates when she got home, and dessert was waiting in the fridge. Everything was in place. All that was needed was Angela, Taylor's girlfriend.

It was half six. Angie got off work at six. Taylor wasn’t worried about her being home early though; she liked taking her time getting home. She said she unwinded on the car ride. Though it did feel like something was missing. But Taylor wasn’t all that worried as he hummed himself a merry tune.

When the clock hit a quarter to seven, Taylor jumped up from his station in front of the TV. It was time for him to put all the food on the table so it’d be ready to eat when Angie walked in. He took two plates down from in the cupboard and then proceeded to fill them both with a cheesy lasagna- Angie’s favorite. After the plates were piled with the steaming noodles, Tom went to to mix the salad.

“Whatcha doing?” A voice asjed as Taylor was pouring the dressing. He jumped and got the sticky substance all over the smooth surface. He jerked his head to stare into light green eyes.

“Angie!?” He said. “What the hell are you doing here!?” He grabbed a cloth and started to wipe up the dressing.

“Well I can leave if you want,” Angie said, an amused expression gracing her features.

“No that’s not what I meant. Just, why are you home so early?” Taylor said.

“It’s Friday. And I usually go home early Fridays.” Angie said. Taylor's face went a pale pink: he knew he had forgotten about something.

“Oh yeah… Well that doesn’t matter. What does is you’re here. I made you dinner. Go sit down so we can eat,” He said, chuckling at himself. Angie kissed his dimple. “Yes sir.”

She got out of the kitchen and sat at the dining room table Tom had so nicely set. She waited for him as her mouth watered cause of the lasagna scent wafting up to her nose. Seconds later Taylor came in carrying the plates.

“For you, m’lady,” He grinned, setting one down in front of Angie.

“Thank-you kind sir,” Angie replied, picking up a fork. “It looks delicious.”

“You look delicious,” Taylor muttered, picking up his own fork.

“Pardon?”

“Nothing.”

“Right,” Angie laughed. The couple fell into a comfortable silence, broken only by clinks of the utensils.

Finally they were both done. Angie pushed her plate away with a sigh.

“That was amazing Taylor! I didn’t know you could cook,” She said.

“Well I am a man of many talents,” Taylor winked, taking her plate to the kitchen with his. “Don’t move!” He ordered. “I made dessert too!!” Angie did as she was told, and didn’t move. She barely got comfortable with her full stomach before Tom came back carrying a chocolate cake.

“Oh Tay, it looks delightful,” Angie said. She took a bite. “My God, it is delightful!!” Taylor laughed and continued eating. When their dessert plates were clean and stacked nicely, Angie stopped playing with her fork and looked at Tom seriously.

“Why’d you do all this?” She asked, a hint of a blush playing on her cheeks. Taylor immediately busied himself with restacking the plates.

“Can’t a guy do something nice for his girlfriend?” He muttered.

“Taylor?” Angie raised an eyebrow. Tom looked up and sighed.

“Okay fine. You were right. There was one little reason…” He said, turning a bright red. He stopped moving the plates and took Angie’s left hand in his. He got down on one knee. Angie gasped.

“Angel.” Taylor said, using her special nickname. “Will you marry me?”

Angie took her hand out of Tom’s and put it to her mouth.

“Erm…” She stuttered, looking anywhere but Taylor. Taylor got off his knee and tried to take Angie’s hand back. She didn’t let him. Instead she stood quickly and ran out the door, slamming it behind her.

Taylor watch her go, a pressure behind his eyes that he hadn’t felt since his granddad died.

*

Taylor cursed as the emotion whelled up in his chest again.

“Bloody hell!” He swore, flinging the box across the room. Why’d he have to go and pop the question, running the best relationship he’d ever had? It was the stupidest decision that could’ve been made. He and Angie had only been going out for two-and-a-half years, one of which they lived together.

Christ, Taylor had forgotten about that. Now she’d defiantly have to come back and get her things. Life had been so much easier for Taylor when he was only interested in one nighters.

Taylor rolled off the couch and found the box. Taylor suddenly felt bad for throwing it: it hadn’t been the one to mess everything up. He had.

With an anguished cry, Taylor put the box in his pocket and sat back on the couch heavily.

His mind wandered and soon he was thinking about the songs Angie wrote and sung. Her musical talents were one of the reasons he fell for her so hard.

While humming one of Angie’s sadder songs, Taylor didn’t hear the door open, signaling Angie’s return. He was only aware of it when she tackled him.

“Wha-“ Taylor started to say. But Angie’s lips mashing into his cut him off.

Their tongues wrestled and when Angie pulled back she was glowing. Taylor felt like his head was going to explode; he had so many emotions in him.

“So is that a yes or no?” He asked, breathing deeply. Angie grinned at him cheekily and repeated her answer. 

© 2009 jamesiee


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Thats was cute and innocent. I loved it and now i cant stop smilling. Well done.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

107 Views
1 Review
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 21, 2009

Author

jamesiee
jamesiee

Calgary, Canada



Writing
You You

A Story by jamesiee


One Name One Name

A Story by jamesiee


Turbulence Turbulence

A Story by jamesiee