You

You

A Story by jamesiee
"

I knew that you weren't you. The fact was obvious. But I never thought I'd be able to pull you out of that spiral you've been in since you became famous. Yet, you prove me wrong.

"

 You were right there in front of me. On the television screen. That’s the only pace I seem to see you nowadays. After five years together we hardly see each other any more. Sad isn’t it? We only seem to talk over the phone, when you have a minute. That minute is rare.

I would see your number flash across my phone and I would debate as to pick up on the first ring or miss the call. Risk missing your call or risk seeming too eager… I’d take risking seeming too eager over the former any day.

Why?

Because I’m hopelessly in love with you.

Hell, I’m head over heels for you. And you know it and love me back. I can see it every time you smile in your eyes. We’re prefect together.

Except, you’re hardly you anymore. Yes, you aren’t the boy, no man who swept me off my feet before he became famous. Sure, you have your you moments but they’re far and few between.

My phone was ringing. I look at the screen. I don’t recognize the number. But I answer anyway.

I flipped the phone open and put it to my ear. “Hello?”

“Nica?” The voice is familiar but I can’t place it.

“Yeah?”

“It’s Danny.”

Now I remember, he’s a guitarist in that band you’re in. The band takes skyrocketed you to fame, that’s taken you away. I can’t help but dislike them.

“Right, hi Danny. How’re you?”

“Not bad, yourself?”

“Fine, fine,” I say offhandedly. I begin picking at my nails.

“Listen Nica. We need your help,” Danny says.

“Oh?” I pick harder.

“Yeah. Dougie’s being a real prat; all depressed and s**t. No one can get him out of it.”

I freeze. “Oh?” I say again, my throat too tight to say anything else.

“So if you could pop over here…?” Danny leaves the sentence hanging but I know how it finishes.

“Right, of course.” I snap out of my scary thought and close the phone. I have to search through a couple of emails and personal phone books before I find the address to your new place. I haven’t been there yet, mostly because we’ve both been too busy.

I finally find the address. Scribbling it onto my hand, I throw on my jacket before heading to my car. I breathe deeply as I get in. The scent reminds me of you.

I start the car and pull out on to the road, checking my hand to see if I turn right or left at the end of the block. With only minimal screw-ups I’m at your house in about half an hour. I never would’ve thought it’d be so far away.

I can see your mate, Danny, peeking out from behind the curtains. I cut the engine of the car and hurry out and up the porch. Danny opens the door before I can ring the bell.

“Thanks for coming,” He says, dropping his gaze.

“No problem,” I reply with a small shrug and smile. “Where’s he at?”

Danny points down the hall, looking miserable. I’m sure he can tell you’re not you just as I can.

I walk the walk down the hall and am met with two doors at the end. I don’t know which is yours. I look back to ask Danny but he is nowhere in sight. I sigh, deciding to take my chances, and knock on the left door. Its not yours.

Instead of you, a man with blonde hair opens the door. I believe he’s Tom, another member of the band.

“You must be Nica,” He says, holding out a hand.

“And you’re Tom?” I guess, shaking the calloused hand. Though it was softer then yours. Tom nods.

“Please fix him,” Tom says softly. “It’s getting unbearable around here.”

I nod numbly and knock on the right door. No one answers but I can hear movement. It has to be you or your lizards. Either way I know I’ve got the right room so I just walking into the dark space. Lizards’ cages line the far wall while a messy bed and desk are across from them.

“Dougie?” I say. Again, no one answers. I see a lump on the bed. I know it’s you.

“C’mon Dougie, what’s wrong?”

You stir under the blankets but still don’t come out. So I rip them off your bed. There you are, curled up in a pitiful ball with headphones hanging out of your ears. Your eyes are closed but you know I’m there.

I gingerly sit on the bed. I stretch out a hand and pluck an earphone from your ear. A loud Blink songs blasts out. You open your eyes and try to grin; it’s a sad grin. I have to blink back tears because you look so much like the little boy you used to be.

“Dougie.” I brush hair out of your eyes. You flinch.

“I’m not me,” You whisper. I nod.

“I know.”

“How long?”

“For a couple of years. Two at the most.”

I watch your face as you do the math, figuring out when you stopped being you.

You blow out a breath. “Why?”

I shrug.

“No, I mean why didn’t you tell me?”

Again I shrug. “I didn’t think I could do anything,” I say.

A ghost of a smile flickers across your lips. Gently, you take my hand and pull me down on to the bed, so that your chin is resting on my head while it’s against your chest. I can feel each breath you take.

We’re both silent for some time.

“I’m sorry,” You say.

“For what?” I ask.

“Letting you down. Losing myself.”

I twist and turn in your arms so that I’m looking into your eyes.

“Hey,” I say. “A normal person would lose themselves after all you’ve been through.”

You look away, ashamed. I get a hand untangled and put it on your cheek, forcing you to look at me.

“It’s okay Dougie, you’re aloud to let me down. As long as I can let you down once in a while too. We’re not perfect and no one should pretend to be.”

A real smile crosses your face and you kiss me long and hard.

“You’ll never disappoint me Nica,” You say.

I breathe in your intoxicating scent. “Why’s that?” I smirk.

You kissed me again and say, “You’re you,” simply.

© 2009 jamesiee


Author's Note

jamesiee
my first second person point of view writing. totally out of my element. what do you think of it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

well the first person is intriguing, but I always long for the narrator view. Its sweet and romantic and flows nicely.
but this feels like the end of a much larger story that the reader does not get. Which can be an effect for an author to use, but in most cases it leaves the reader feeling unfulfilled by the story.
It has a good flow and good structure. it reads nicely good work

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

108 Views
1 Review
Added on July 23, 2009
Last Updated on July 28, 2009

Author

jamesiee
jamesiee

Calgary, Canada



Writing
One Name One Name

A Story by jamesiee


Turbulence Turbulence

A Story by jamesiee


Yes or No? Yes or No?

A Story by jamesiee