One Cut, That Was All It Took

One Cut, That Was All It Took

A Poem by ..R.I.P..
"

I'm glad to say that I am mostly free of this now, just wanted to bring one of my more powerful pieces back.

"

"One time." that's all I thought,

"Once won't cause any trouble."

I was dead wrong!

One cut, that was all it took.

One turned into two,

Two turned into three,

And three turned into too many.

Once can make you addicted.

Once started the urge to keep going,

To keep the blood flowing down my arm.

One cut, that was all it took.

© 2012 ..R.I.P..


Author's Note

..R.I.P..
Tell me what you think.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

It's interesting that you see it as an addiction man. I'm a manic depressive, which you might have guessed from the poem you kindly reviewed, and I used to cut myself. I always saw it as a kind-of route to an ultimate suicide. A test to see whether or not you're capable of desecrating your own body in an attempt to drown out feelings of despair and isolation.

This poem has given me a new vantage point; the idea that self harm can become the main focus of a depressive mood, the idea that it could take over a life. I get the sense that maybe you could compare how people see self harm with how people see, say, alcoholism or heroin addiction. Nice new views here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This actually is very very very similar to one I read in a chicken soup book. I too, struggle with this issue, so the speaker (whether it be you or someone fictional), expressed it well. I agree that it's an addiction, so I was definitley able to connect. It's one thing to impress the readers with your words, but it's a whole other thing to be able to connect the words with your readers... and that's just an astounding ability. Nice job, and keep writing.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Hmm, very interesting. I've never cut but a family member of mine did and I'm sure she would agree to this. Nice work.

Posted 14 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Joe
This piece was hauntingly real. As for your addiction, cutting is a problem, and as hard as it may be to stop, it must stop. You are scarring your body, and hurting yourself in the process. Good luck, and I'll pray for you. The poem was great, but I hope you get better. ~ Joe

Posted 14 Years Ago


I was like you before!
When I lost a friend i cut myself then i cut myself again a month or so ago!
If you look close enough you can see the scar on my wrist!
i love this poem, its so true!

Posted 14 Years Ago


wow.. i dont know how you feel since i dont cut myself, but i do have a friend who used to cut himself a while ago. if you need a friend im here and u can message me and ill try to be there.
but your poem seems that..many can relate to that because i guess it gives a sense of relief or one can escape from their problems, but if you need to talk to someone, ill be here=)
-ruth

Posted 14 Years Ago


It shocks me how far people will go to escape the harshness of reality in this world. No longer are the drugs alcohol enough but now we have to spill our own blood to feel relieved. We need to create a new vision for this world. We are a new generation, we writers can inspire many. Through that we can change the world slowly. And when we do there's no need for an escape anymore. We get addicted to the sense of pleasure and the only way to break free is the opening of our eyes. But some people live their lives with their eyes closed. That needs to change... Great poem short but it shows the reality.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is very sad, disturbing. In those words are your pain, but there is so
much more pain you are going through for the reason of your cutting.
There are some very deep, emotional secrets that you are hiding, and since
you don't talk about it, you take it out on yourself, hoping someone will hear.

I don't know you, or what you have been through, but you need to either
talk to your parents, or someone close to you. You mentioned having a best
friend, which I am sure you have spoken with him. You need to go to someone
like a adult that you feel comfortable with, and talk to them. There is NO reason
someone has to put themself through what you are. There are many gifts within
you, you just haven't seen them yet, but you will, and YOU will survive this, for
things are meant to be...AD

Posted 14 Years Ago


Straight-talking piece.

It could be viewed as an interesting insight into contemporary society; the new concept of self-harm being something to 'try' once. Awareness of it is so widespread now, due to documentaries and sterotypes, that some see it as almost a lifestyle choice.

"All I need is someone to save me" - Try talking to your GP or doctor in confidence. If you're under 16 or 18 and your parents don't know and you don't want them to know, then you might want to check the law, as the doctor might be obliged to tell them.
There are suggested alternatives out there, like squeezing ice cubes [although i think it works best for people who burn rather than cut, as the sensation is similar] or snapping rubber bands on your arms, which releases the same pain-related endorphins and leaves temporary marks but is apparently less addictive because there's less blood ritual etc.
There should be some helplines in your region that you can talk to in confidence, who can offer advice or support.

Generally our SI implies underlying problems, so counselling or therapy is recommended - especially if you're worried that it's getting out of hand. Talking about the s**t that's led you to a place where you want to cut yourself might improve your life.

Posted 14 Years Ago


You've most certainly captured that feeling of addiction very well.
I've never cut myself, and I doubt that I ever will. I can't stand any sort of pain.

I hope that someone can help you, or that you can help yourself. Because I've had friends with which cutting themselves was only the very beginning.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's interesting that you see it as an addiction man. I'm a manic depressive, which you might have guessed from the poem you kindly reviewed, and I used to cut myself. I always saw it as a kind-of route to an ultimate suicide. A test to see whether or not you're capable of desecrating your own body in an attempt to drown out feelings of despair and isolation.

This poem has given me a new vantage point; the idea that self harm can become the main focus of a depressive mood, the idea that it could take over a life. I get the sense that maybe you could compare how people see self harm with how people see, say, alcoholism or heroin addiction. Nice new views here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


4 of 4 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

936 Views
27 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 5, 2009
Last Updated on May 28, 2012

Author

..R.I.P..
..R.I.P..

In my own little world, AR



About
I have another account on here. I had lost my login stuff for this one and had set up a new one. Then found the stuff to this one. Anyways..follow me on Tumblr! I keep all my new poems on there! I'll .. more..

Writing
I'm Alive I'm Alive

A Poem by ..R.I.P..