Sighs of Life

Sighs of Life

A Poem by jarrododean
"

This is an Excerpt of a Paper I'm working on that has to do with Global Warming. I wanted to begin with some vivid imagery and some strong symbolism.

"

Listen closely... the trees are breathing. Slowly, steadily, they breathe in. Basking in the sun, digging their roots deep into the cool, wet Earth. Eyes closed to the world, thees trees stand deep in meditation, concerned only with the world’s moving and the wind’s changing. Reaching ever upwards, they are ancient priests praying to the perpetual sun. Devout in their silent worship, they raise their limbs toward god, bending only slightly to the touch of Earth’s wind. Constantly, carefully, they breath out. Such sentinels spread their fingers to the heavens, growing more firmly rooted to the Earth as they reach for the stars. With each day they grow closer to heaven. With each day they grow more holy. With each day they grow more firmly to their mother Earth. They grasp the sky just as they are rooted to the ground.  Half in one world, half in the next, these priests grow more devout with time. Flowers bloom, blushing as they are born naked to world. Dew covered petals are baptized in water fallen from on high. Green leaves and grey roots take communion from the sweet wine of the sky and drink a quiet toast: to the mother that holds them fast and provides nourishment, to the father that gives them energy and beckons ever upward. Slowly, steadily, they breathe in. Constantly, carefully, they breathe out. 

Sighs of life. 

© 2013 jarrododean


Author's Note

jarrododean
General thoughts? More is coming, but this peice is the first impression. Does it leave you wanting more? Do you feel immersed in the language? It is generally accessible?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

168 Views
Added on June 12, 2013
Last Updated on June 12, 2013
Tags: Nature, Global Warming, Imagery, Trees, Musings, Poeticism

Author

jarrododean
jarrododean

Washington, DC



About
Aspiring Speech Writer, Graduate Student, Sailor. Inspirations: Nature, Global Warming, GRand issues and conflicts, Science. Writers I Admire: Patrick Rothfuss, Ted Sorenson, Bob Musil more..