Life

Life

A Poem by JayG
"

A friend remarked that no matter how hard she tries, she can’t win. That got me thinking about life, mortality, and the old saying, “Life sucks…and then you die. This is the result:

"

Life is just a Red Queen’s race

You run and run to stay in place.

 

The road is long, the surface rough.

Your very best?  It’s just enough.

 

Each day a struggle, each a war.

With not a clue of what’s in store

 

But that’s okay, and I don’t mind

‘Cause Death, he marks the finish line.

© 2022 JayG


Author's Note

JayG
Just for fun.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

It's just for fun, while my life is on the run, and run to stay in place. Each day is a struggle, each a war. But that's ok, I don't mind. I'll try to enjoy the journey, anyway.

Posted 4 Weeks Ago


I like this! So true in many ways. Even though life is tough sometimes it definitely beats the alternative

Posted 2 Months Ago


Great little piece, very existential.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Fun it is. Reminds me of short 19th century American comic verses.

Posted 3 Months Ago


Fun but true. Death does mark the finish line, but who knows but for another race.

Posted 3 Months Ago


wow you want death in order to win but not In a struggle is not to lose what we want is to finish the line.

Posted 6 Months Ago


Enjoyed your poem. I agree with you. "despite the struggles and fudge up things in life, there's a gift of a new day to start anew. death will come, it will come and yes it marks the finish line." Thanks for sharing

Posted 7 Months Ago


yes! most people just get by each day with the sole purpose of just doing that in one piece. and what happens after death offers so much discussion but sometimes the thought of being alive is all that matters because despite the struggles and fudge up things in life, there's a gift of new day to start anew. death will come, it will come and yes it marks the finish line .. but with the time we have left on Earth (how many it is left), might as well struggle everyday, talk badly about life, getting up with a purpose or merely just getting by and just able to spot beauty in simple things life offers. thank you for the inspiring poem btw :)

Posted 9 Months Ago


I read your poem about the struggle of life and the way that it can feel like a never-ending race to stay ahead of the curve. Your words were so poignant and insightful, and I could feel the sense of urgency and desperation that you were describing.
The way that you used the metaphor of the Red Queen's race to describe the constant struggle to keep up with the pace of life was so powerful and evocative, and it added a sense of urgency and intensity to the poem.
Overall, I thought that your poem was a beautiful and thought-provoking reflection on the challenges of life and the way that we must constantly strive to keep up with the pace of the world around us.

Posted 9 Months Ago


Sometimes, it pays to explore life's nooks and crannies. Some things in life are so obvious, but people ignore them. I have been there with that, but then, one day, I figured a few things out. Life has been better, yet worse, in ways, but lately, life is more better than worse, in ways.

Posted 9 Months Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

575 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 3, 2022
Last Updated on August 15, 2022

Author

JayG
JayG

Elkins Park, PA



About
I've been actively writing fiction for about 40 years and have been offered, and signed, 7 publishing contracts. I have a total of 30 novels available at booksellers at the moment. I've taught wri.. more..

Writing
The Nose Knows The Nose Knows

A Poem by JayG


Cough Cough

A Poem by JayG



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..