A few thoughts on the spammers cluttering the site

A few thoughts on the spammers cluttering the site

A Story by Spamalot
"

I could use some help

"
This is a great site. It's been around forever, and though there's little moderation done, for the most part it's become a worldwide writer's forum, where beginners and experienced writers can entertain, help, and support each other. Once, we had a discussion area, where people could ask questions, register opinions, or just chat with those who share our interest in writing.

That area was invaded and destroyed, and I'm concerned that it's going to happen again.

As I'm certain you've all noticed, a small group of spammers are cluttering the pages with crap advertising for car leasing in Philadelphia, divorce service in Australia, and other crap that's not targeted to the people who use the site. It's just spam. For the most part the spammers get paid when someone clicks on the link they provide. They don't care if they annoy every user on the site. All that matters to them is that maybe, someone will click on the link and make them a few pennies.

I hate people like that, who have so little regard for others. And because I do, I've begun responding on their posted pages, so that the advertiser who checks to see what was said in their name will know how unwelcome it is. This site sells advertising, but they would rather drop in page after page of crap, for free, no matter that it has nothing to do with the reason we come here, or that they're annoying users and making the site less fun to use.

My problem is that it's easy enough for them to block me. Sure, I can create other accounts, but a better thing is for all of us to reject them. So instead of passing their posts by, take a moment to open the page and post a "Go away, you're not a writer and have no place here." That will tell their advertisers that the adds are having a negative effect.

It only takes a minute to do that, and to flag the one posting as a spammer (top right corner of the page). And, spamming the spammer will annoy the hell out of them.

It's OUR site. So let's keep it our site. Anyone with me?

© 2019 Spamalot


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

i have some very unusual suspicion from my room as in grabbing a burger or asleep that some one or others are using my room as their kick it place as well some claimed my stuff and to be their room. The authority does not mind because i will not be able to prove. These guys seem like terrorists i know it is one world but i am very new to the future after 9/11/01 i have very weird intentions of what threats i have already received

Posted 2 Years Ago


I flag them all the time I see any

Posted 2 Years Ago


At one time I flagged five spammers every visit, but I gave it up as useless. Hell who knows, I might move to Newfoundland and need double glazed windows one day. It could happen.

Posted 3 Years Ago


I had no idea this was going on...what's the deal with religious nuts? Did you make them mad or something

Posted 4 Years Ago


Spamalot

4 Years Ago

Anger them? That's pretty easy. But I have a problem with people claiming to speak for invisible, ma.. read more
Jolan H

4 Years Ago

Well here is hoping they stop doing it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

348 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 29, 2019
Last Updated on January 29, 2019

Author

Spamalot
Spamalot

Toronto, Canada



About
I hate spam...and spammers—especially the b******s who are taking advantage of the fact that there's little moderation, to sell "advertising" that's in reality, just spam. They destroyed the .. more..

Writing