22. Breathe

22. Breathe

A Chapter by Kianna
"

At least Brooke saved one life.

"

Brooke coughed and spat out water. She clicked her tongue, sick with salt and bitter iron. Touching her neck, Brooke realized she was alive. The sun showed its light over her eyelids. She laid in bright darkness for a few seconds before taking a deep breath and opening her eyes. The veil of clouds had lifted and she had survived the storm.

A cold breeze traveled past her. She shivered and sat up. Her jumpsuit stuck to her, drenched in salt and water. Brooke’s nose crinkled and she looked at the half-destroyed ship, the sails waving in the wind. “You’ve awaken, Strong Human.” Brooke gasped to see the little elfin thief standing next to her coming just above Brooke’s head. She rubbed her eyes and all the elfin thieves standing on the quarterdeck bowed to her. The big creatures kneeled to her. Brooke’s cheeks flustered and she glanced around. The little elfin thief bowed his head, pulling on the corners of its purple breeches. “Strong Human, your strength is great and on behalf of us, we thank you.” How had she survived? Was it possible that the elfin thieves saved her? One of those big creature things stomped its feet as a little elfin thief fanned out his saddle. That blast of fire must have been the big creatures defeating the serpent at last.

          The blue elfin thieves cheered and the big creatures grunted loud, jerking their heads up in an appreciative motion. Brooke smiled and pulled herself to her feet, two strands of wet hair slapping her right cheek. The sensation of victory tingled within her skin.

          An elfin thief unlocked the hold door, and the hooded man barged out, glaring at Brooke. The elfin thief that unlocked the door shook its head and the hooded man nodded. The elves pushed and shoved each other aside to stare at her. “Well, at least they are safe,” Brooke muttered.

          “Our champion, how can we ever repay you for saving our lives?” asked the little elfin thief as it lifted its head.

          Brooke grinned. “I have something in mind.”

          “Name it.” Princess Meredith was among the crowd, watching her. Brooke smirked. This was the perfect chance to show her how she wasn’t such a bad guy.

          Brooke cleared her throat, itchy from the salty rush. She stood tall and squared her shoulders. “Free the elves.” As soon as the elves heard this, they broke out into their clustered whispers and they wondered what she was doing. A murderer will never think to free, soon to be slaves above herself, right?

          Brooke and the elfin thief met eyes, and he saw that she was serious. The rest of the elfin thieves ceased their cheering. The little elfin thief laughed. “Be reasonable, Human,” it scoffed, frowning.

          “But you said you would repay me for saving your lives?” Brooke asked, arching her brows.

          “Of course, but honestly, shall we free them into the sea?” The little elfin thief removed its spectacles and used its shirt to wipe them. “We are in direction of Desdemonia where elves are not permitted freedom; please set a reasonable price.” The whispers among the elves rose and one elfin thief ordered them to quiet down. “You may have your freedom if you’d like?” Brooke nodded and she heard the elves whispering words like traitor and killer. Well, she didn’t want to be sold into slavery. She would like to get home. So would they, but what can she do for them? Brooke turned away from them and ignored their voices.

          “Can you free the princess at least?” Brooke looked at the little elfin thief and hoped he would say yes.

          Three little elfin thieves came together and talked, huddling. “But it took so long to get this many elves and a princess; we’ll get so much money for her!” exclaimed one elfin thief and another clocked him over the head for speaking too loud.

          “No,” answered the little elfin thief as her turned around to face Brooke.

          What could she get? She had saved their lives risking her own. Of course, she did not have to do that, but still she desired some kind of act to show the princess that she was not a murderer. Something to show her she was a good person. Brooke glanced at the group of elves and saw the pregnant servant. She brightened up. “Then at least let the servant woman keep her baby.” 

          The little elfin thief smiled. “That can be granted.” The elfin thief called to the hooded man.

          “And have her not be given work until she has labored and is well.” The elfin thief nodded. “And, no labor for Princess Meredith so that the servant is cared for.”

          “Yes, yes, that can be arranged as well.” The elfin thief bowed once again, and talked to the hooded man, huddling close to his ear. Once they finished, the elfin thief said to Brooke, “For now, however, retire into the hold for you must be exhausted.”

          Brooke nodded and went into the hold. The elves retreated and scrambled as if caught in hide and seek. They scrunched together in their corner, and Brooke decided not to bother with them. She was exhausted, her bones sagging against the air.

Brooke found a nice spot in the corner, laid down, and stared at the destroyed ceiling of the hold. The sound of the ocean made her ears hurt after emptying so much ocean already. Water in her eyes prevented her from sleeping, so she just breathed, counting her breaths and the minutes no one said a word. Finally, she closed her eyes and rested, feeling her body give in to the desire for sleep.

Brooke awoke when she heard the sound of someone clearing her throat. She hoped it was Princess Meredith, come to congratulate her and thank her for the noble act she committed. Brooke was disappointed to see it was the servant. She sat next to her, legs tucked under. She smiled and said, “I just wanted to thank you for saving my baby.” The woman used the hem of her maiden dress to wipe her face of tears that started to form. Why was she crying? Probably distress again, far away from home, away from a family, away with a portion of it. “Oh, no, these are not tears of sorrow, it’s tears of joy.” Brooke arched a brow and the woman noticed it. “I mean, I would die if that man had aborted my child.” The woman placed a hand on her stomach that had not yet shown signs of pregnancy. “This child is keeping me alive and hopeful in here; I pray we will be okay.” Her voice sounded sweet with emotion. Brooke felt glad she did save the woman’s child. “Thank you once again,” The woman rubbed Brooke’s arm and rose to return with the rest of the elves. Brooke glanced at Princess Meredith, but she had not said a word to her.

Because of the wrecked sails, navigating to Desdemonia took longer. Time passed in the hold and Brooke lost count of how many months had gone by. She guessed six months, or perhaps a year. In that lapse, the elfin thieves and the elves repaired the ship. The woman gave birth to a baby boy and named him Yoko, which meant ocean child. He didn’t cry much and the elves adored the quiet baby. Brooke thought he was cute.

Princess Meredith had not spoken to her since their last argument. She wasn’t convinced. Brooke twisted her lips to the side to form a wry expression as she lay in her spot. She’d have to try harder, if she gets the chance again. 

 



© 2013 Kianna


Author's Note

Kianna
Dear Reader,

Yoko is a minor character, but adds character to Meredith later on in the story. This chapter just introduces Yoko. That is the only purpose of this chapter.

I chose that picture because it symbolizes life.

Thank you for reading!

Sincerely JazzSoulKeke,

God bless

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

435 Views
Added on July 4, 2013
Last Updated on July 4, 2013
Tags: Kianna Taylor, Kianna, Taylor, God, love, song, fantasy, book, elves, dark, romance, princess, king, queen, kingdom, epic fantasy, urban fantasy, epic, urban, young adult, occult, magic, depression


Author

Kianna
Kianna

Houston, TX



About
Hello. Hmm, about me. I am a pre-nursing student hoping to become a psychiatric nurse and work with mental health patients all day. Eventually, I want to establish my own clinic. Besides writing fanta.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Kianna