32. Healing

32. Healing

A Chapter by Kianna
"

After witnessing Meredith's incredible power, Brooke and Meredith share an honest talk with one another.

"

The trees were an enchanting display of exotic fruits that released sweet smells into the dry air. Athena crossed over tall hills and empty valleys. No signs of civilization showed anywhere. Brooke tried to recall Lyriel’s talk of the country, but her memory failed her as she fell asleep, laying her head on the tiger’s back.

When she awoke, Athena approached low-lying mountains, no bigger than a giant’s neck. They were most like hills covered with rock. Brooke lifted her head and noticed the air had turned thick and wet. She heard a rushing sound like the splatter of a showerhead. It was pleasant to her ears and she realized how much she missed the Lavender Stream.

Meredith awoke instantly as her pointed ears twitched and she lifted her head. “We are here,” she announced. Brooke nodded. Ellis remained asleep. Athena approached the waterfalls end. Streams of water cascaded in lazy zigzags from the slanted top of a cliff. The lake seemed to take on the color of the night, still and beautiful. It reminded her of the time Shawn brought her to that Cliffside, bringing about her the same emotions. An atmosphere of purity and rawness settled upon her.

Meredith jumped down and Brooke followed. Ellis accidently rolled off Athena and the ground woke her up. She shook her head, pebbles falling out of her hair. Meredith sighed, inhaling the chaste air and letting it fill her lungs. She stepped onto the moist ground near the waterfalls end. She removed all her clothes. Brooke turned away as she undressed and watched the sky instead.

Meredith lifted her foot and laid it gently in the water and the cool touch made her shiver. She placed her other foot into it and stood there for a minute or two before continuing her way. She submerged herself within the water. She swam to the middle of the small lake and her body glowed, a bright light encircling her. It made a humming sound as the bright light shot from her into the sky and turned an azure color. Brooke saw it out the corner of her eye. She didn’t see this light shoot from her in the circus. She felt a sense of peace enter her as she gazed at the light. It pierced the clouds and they opened like gates to reveal a full, lush moon. Illuminating silver met with the azure light. Soon, Athena, Ellis, and Brooke watched the princess’s magic erupt, but this time in a serene way instead of an agonizing one.

Both lights dimmed and Meredith arose from the water. The curls in her hair faded and the strands hung over her shoulders. She glowed immensely. It was an understatement to say she glowed. She mirrored the moon and in some way outshined the moon. Brooke saw the outline of wings form, but there were no feathers. The sound of crickets and owls arose and it seemed as if they were back in the Wilderness. An aria of wolves sang in harmony. Meredith turned and Brooke saw the marks heal, the blood receding into her regenerating skin. “My God,” gasped Athena.

The lights ceased and the moon returned to its original glow. Meredith’s body had stopped glowing as well. She just stood there atop of the water. She opened her eyes and walked towards land. Brooke blinked. On the surface of the water, she walked. Meredith chuckled. “You look as though you’ve seen a ghost.”

Ellis hissed as she heard someone watching. Brooke and Athena directed their attention to the figure, masked by shadows, watching from the other side of the mountains. Meredith snapped her hand at the figure. A blast of light shot at it and knocked it back. Athena growled and chased after it. Meredith clothed herself and Brooke and Ellis went after Athena. She sat at the bottom of the mountain, sneering at a puff of smoke. “Vanishing trick; only royalty and magic users know how to do,” informed Meredith.

“Yeah, and he got away with it,” Athena said dejectedly.

Meredith patted the tiger. “It’s okay; he was no harm to us and let us hope he won’t be any harm to us.”

Athena nodded. “I must say, Princess, you are incredibly powerful.”

Meredith blushed. “We better find some civilization.”

She hopped onto Athena. Brooke and Ellis followed. Athena began running across more hills. Soon enough, Athena tired and they had not reached any sign of life. Meredith patted the tiger. She stopped in an empty valley with only one tree and a large space of grass. “We must stop and rest,” Meredith announced.

“It’s dangerous to stop here,” replied Athena.

“It’ll be more dangerous if creatures attack us and we are too exhausted to fight.”

“You are correct.”

Meredith directed Athena to sit under the only tree in the meadow. They all lay under its shade and slept except Brooke. She intensely watched the princess as she sat against the bark of the tree with one knee bent and the other stretched out. Her arms rested on her bent knee. The power Meredith held confounded her. As humble as Meredith was, she possessed enormous of her power and she knew it. Why do something so risky as to save her? A mere human peasant.

Then, the question remained. What will she do- who will she be in Alagracia? Her job as a guardian was gone. She didn’t feel worthy for the job. Brooke had always wanted to protect the princess, but it seemed as though she could always protect herself. She truly was a strong woman. She considered traveling again.

“What are you thinking about?” Meredith lay on her stomach, her arms tucked under her chin. Her voice surprised Brooke and she looked down at the curious face.

“Stuff you probably wouldn’t care to know.”

Meredith arched a brow at her. “If I didn’t care, I wouldn’t have asked.”

Brooke sighed. Should she be open with her princess? She had before and she didn’t mean it. She remembered the parade. “Why did you save me?” Brooke asked.

Meredith gave her a weird expression as if she’d asked her something that was too obvious. “You saved me; I can’t return the favor?”

“You owe me nothing, Princess.” Brooke said as she lifted her head to the night sky. “If I die protecting you, then my death is noble, but Alagracia needs you.”

Meredith glared at her for some reason and turned away. “I can’t be a noble person too?”

“You have no time to be noble, you are a princess, and you can’t just risk your life like that.”

 “Oh?”Meredith laughed bitterly. “Everyone thinks because I am a princess I should do this or that.” Her eyes fell to the ground. “But you know what; I’ve done fine without following all the rules of royalty.” Brooke met her eyes and saw determination. “I learned to fight on my own; I care about things everyone overlooks; I like to have fun and go out sometimes.” Meredith took in a deep breath. “And I befriend whoever I want.”

“Huh?” Brooke asked. “What are you saying, Princess?”

Meredith frowned, her light brows slouching against her round eyes. “First of all, my name is Meredith and second…” Meredith stopped and rolled around to her back, looking at the sky. "In that circus, I denied everything that resonated from you because it was drilled into my head that you brutally killed my sister.”

“And what resonates from me?”

“Strength and a certain kindness, a lot like mine.” Meredith closed her eyes. “After Catalina died, I was all alone; I must sound whiny.”

“Nah,” Brooke smiled. “Loneliness is never a pretty emotion.” The cell came to mind and she stuffed it back into the edge of her skull.

“Plus, I have this engagement thing coming up.” It was a rumor that Meredith would marry Prince Ricky from a distant country to stop a war. Brooke thought it was sad to carry that kind of burden. Marrying someone to stop a war. A choice in life decided for her. “Sometimes, I wonder if that castle is even home. Dad, he’s too busy preparing for my engagement, and Mom, well, she’s gone.” Brooke felt for Meredith because her situation mirrored her own. They both felt like strangers in their own home. Was that why Meredith sympathized with Brooke back at the parade? Did she witness the whole situation and empathize with her?

“But, Pr- I mean Meredith, I’m a human, and no one special; why would you want me as your friend?”

Meredith chuckled and opened her eyes. “You don’t have to be an elf or some glorious race of creature just to be special.”

The two friends shared an honest smile with one another and fell into a serene sleep, ready for tomorrow, ready for anything. 

 



© 2013 Kianna


Author's Note

Kianna
Dear Reader,

I wanted you to get a feel of Meredith's power while also emphasizing the special bond formed between Meredith and Brooke. I hope it made sense that Brooke always felt insecure in the fighting world because she was a human being. There were elves, always called the superior race. Meredith uplifts that insecurity by saying you dont have to be above average to be special.

Thanks for reading!

Sincerely JazzSoulKeke,

God bless

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

448 Views
Added on July 5, 2013
Last Updated on July 5, 2013
Tags: Kianna Taylor, Kianna, Taylor, God, love, song, fantasy, book, elves, dark, romance, princess, king, queen, kingdom, epic fantasy, urban fantasy, epic, urban, young adult, occult, magic, depression


Author

Kianna
Kianna

Houston, TX



About
Hello. Hmm, about me. I am a pre-nursing student hoping to become a psychiatric nurse and work with mental health patients all day. Eventually, I want to establish my own clinic. Besides writing fanta.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Kianna