A Dying Dream

A Dying Dream

A Poem by Robert Luna
"

This is inspired by a reoccurring dream I have been having for a while now it always plays out the same way. I hope you enjoy.

"

These tattooed roses will never bloom

holding loosely to fading flesh

Awaiting bones to turn to ash

There I stood at the great void of life

To the back of me sat the world

amidst its selfish pride 

cold,

alone

with its hateful glare

And there just beyond what I could see

laid destiny

just out of my reach

But it……

it keeps calling out to me

A sweet whisper

that echoes on the ripples of time itself

every step I take

I feel an arrow pierce deep

into the very soul of my being

my blood soak flesh feels weak

and with every wound I feel

my life begin to seep

I cannot bear any more

and there I fall to my knees

As she appears to comfort me

Mother Mary

 

She embraces me in her arms

as a mother would hold a child

Kisses my forehead and begins to sing

 

“Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry no more

No!

Carry on!
You will always be remembered
Carry on!
Nothing equals the splendor
Now your life's no longer empty
Surely heaven waits for you

Carry on, my wayward son
There'll be peace when you are done
Lay your weary head to rest
Don't you cry
Don't you cry no more!

No more!”

 

I see the tears form in her eyes

as she looks at me for what felt to be the last time

© 2009 Robert Luna


Author's Note

Robert Luna
This is inspired by a reoccurring dream I have been having for a while now it always plays out the same way. I hope you enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Our dreams tell us so many things about ourselves and the worlds here and there. We wander through the night sky and if we are lucky, we bring a little something back to inspire us to reach further than we might have on our own. Take comfort in the offered arms. You are meant to trudge on, even wounded. And she is right, there will be peace. When our work is done here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Have you ever read anything by psychologist Carl Jung? He came up with 9 archetypes that may be applied to dreams and what you're describing sounds like the one dubbed 'The Great Mother'. Usually a positive sign :)
I find dream analysis intriguing and I really enjoy how you write of them so passionately.

Posted 12 Years Ago


beautiful dream! i loved the transition from reality into dream space.
The first three lines, i found raw and beautifully describe the realization of acceptance.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Dream inspired poetry is a favorite of mine. Dreams often have symbolic messages, such as this one that seems to tell us to go on even when we are hurt or injured. Wonderful poem you have created from your dream.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Dreams say a lot about who we are and how we really feel about situations. Sometimes things just seem hopeless, out of reach and unattainable. Great write, there's a good deal of emotion that just flows off the page here.

Posted 13 Years Ago


I love dreams I can picture times where i've woken up crying because it seemed so real but sliped from my grasp. Great Write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You are back with a vengeance my friend and that must have been one hell of a dream... you lay it out so wonderfully so we can visualize and feel everything... from despair to fleeting ope to a call to faith.
I love that Mother Mary sigs a Kansas song and a great one at that.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Robert! How I've missed reading your poems.
From this one, it feels to me the narrative voice is telling a silent story of sadness,
only finding comfort from this one figure that appears to him, but who does not look at him for the last time in such a way. Comfort, carried on.


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I did enjoy ... thank you Robert and it's good having you grace the Cafe's pages again.


your dream holds a message for you, I think. And Emily said it better than I can but she is right.
keep dreaming, keep living for what you believe in. Your doing the world a favor, I hope ya know that.
Smiles ....

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so beautiful, but SO sad. I can feel the sadness and the longing in your words ... at least that's what I felt when I read it.

You have a lyrical quality to your words that I really like. I think that it would make a really beautiful companion to the song you've inserted in the middle of it. (At least I'm pretty SURE it's a song ... )

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Our dreams tell us so many things about ourselves and the worlds here and there. We wander through the night sky and if we are lucky, we bring a little something back to inspire us to reach further than we might have on our own. Take comfort in the offered arms. You are meant to trudge on, even wounded. And she is right, there will be peace. When our work is done here.

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3659 Views
30 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 28, 2009

Author

Robert Luna
Robert Luna

Somewhere between here and there



About
My name is Robert. I write therefore I feel I am. My words come from my heart, soul, and mind. I write what I feel and see, life is my inspiration. Life itself is art in its purest form. There is noth.. more..

Writing
Grow Up Grow Up

A Poem by Robert Luna



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


this kinda blue this kinda blue

A Poem by Rain


I Run Away I Run Away

A Poem by Rain


A Poem A Poem

A Poem by Sean Allen