Scarring

Scarring

A Chapter by Misty_Prophet
"

Is there a chance to know if the smile you're wearing, is going to be your last one?

"
This time, it was her mother. Soldiers were taking her away, because she got sick. How was that possible? After all that protection against the disease? She kept kicking the soldiers who held her, screaming and crying at the same time. It was painful just to watch. It hurt even more, trying not to run at the soldiers and help her. It took four men, just to hold her. 
- Kara! I love you...
With her mouth, Kara shaped: I love you too. There was no strength to say it out loud. She knew, she had to stay calm. If she didn't they might have taken her too. All she could do, was just to stand there, brokenhearted. 

- And this wire goes here... - Dayner connected the wire into it's socket. - You see, it's easy...
- Thanks dad. - Kaden smiled. He enjoyed these hangouts. Dad wanted to show him how to repair the radio, and although Kaden learned it at the university, he remained silent. It was fun spending time with him. Sharing love towards electricity. 
- Francesca, we fixed the radio! - Dad screamed excitedly to the closed door. A moment later, young blonde girl peeked her head through the door.
- Yeah? Who got stunned this time? - She giggled.
- Really funny now... This time it was perfect. - Kaden glowed.
- Don't believe it, 'till I hear some music.
- Enjoy... - Kaden pushed the button, enjoying the break from all the screaming, that came down from the streets. Radio was playing oldies, and he couldn't remember when was the last time he listened to music. The world seems to have forgotten about it in these gloomy days. As the song approached the chorus, front door opened, and little Kara just stood there. Alone and silent, with tear tracks on her cheeks. Just a small girl, with dark blonde hair, and sad blue eyes. Dayner jumped, immediately realizing what has happened. He shook her by the shoulders, while his eyes glistened from tears.
- Where is Nia? Kara tell me! Tell me now!
Kaden turned off the radio, seeing Francesca push the father away from Kara.
- Stop it! She is terrified enough... - She knelt to the ground and hugged her little sister. Dayner's eyes were now overflowing with tears. He couldn't move. He stayed there, on the floor, right where Francesca pushed him.  His gaze was blank and pointed to the floor. It was like he was in trance. Almost whispering he said: I'm sorry... He was never the same man again.

Kara looked through the open window, into the dark, vast world before her. Everyone else was asleep, but she couldn't bring herself to dream that night. It was year 2043. Her mother died a year ago, on her twelfth birthday. She still remembers the day Nia got arrested. It haunts her in every dream she has. Hearing mother's voice echoing through the darkness. This is the world she knew. No smiles, steel city walls and a disease. Her mother was one of the firsts to succumb. The world is not fair... Destiny is not fair.
The wind picked up, and started messing with Kara's hair. She enjoyed it's silky touch. Felt as if it was caressing her cheeks, just like her mother used to. Tear dropped and dampened her sleeping gown. She pretended not to see that small wet spot that could instantly bring back every memory of her mother, with just one look at it. Stubbornly, she kept starring in the distance. An interesting flapping sound caught her attention, and then her gaze fell onto the approaching butterfly. Here, in the middle of the night? Such a beautiful creature... It glowed in the dark, and with every flap of his wings, it seemed like it was dancing. She extended her hand outside the window, and the butterfly landed. It was even more beautiful up close, then in the air.
- Hey there... - She talked in a sweet voice. - Are you tired little traveler? You must be... Bet you came from a distant place, and seen so many lands... Tell me, what it's like out there? Outside? - She brought the hand closer to her face. 
She didn't expected to get an answer, but she didn't expected to get bitten either. It was a small pinch, but later it felt like a burn spot. Butterfly flew away, and she was left alone once more... Several times throughout the night she remembered her little visitor. Maybe it was an omen of some sort


© 2012 Misty_Prophet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very good! I like how you feed the reader only a few facts at a time to keep them wondering what is going on. Mysterious!

A couple of things: Right after 'her twelfth birthday' you changed to present tense for a few sentences.

'She bulged the hand outside the window' sounds strange. "She extended her hand out the window' would be better.

Overall, I like it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Very good! I like how you feed the reader only a few facts at a time to keep them wondering what is going on. Mysterious!

A couple of things: Right after 'her twelfth birthday' you changed to present tense for a few sentences.

'She bulged the hand outside the window' sounds strange. "She extended her hand out the window' would be better.

Overall, I like it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

'It hurted even more' should be 'it hurt even more'.
'It was like he was in trans.' I think you mean 'Trance'
I think what you did at the end with the butterfly was really cool, and the emotion you've given the characters so early on is well done too. You've really got something good here - though I would like a little more description of the characters, perhaps.

So far so good. Worth the wait ;)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 26, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012


Author

Misty_Prophet
Misty_Prophet

Serbia



About
Hi, call me Jay :D I'm an uprising writer from Serbia and my favorite genre is thriller/horror. My favorite writer is Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Please read something of his, his writing style is am.. more..

Writing