Far horizon

Far horizon

A Chapter by Misty_Prophet
"

Is the sun more beautiful at sunset, or at dawn?

"
- How much for the bread?
- Fifty...
- Fifty? - Her eyes widened and she continued in a saddened voice. -They increased the prices again? 
Salesman just shrugged his shoulders, so Francesca gave him money for the bread. She was supposed to come back with cans of food, and now she could only buy one. If this situation continues getting worse, before she finishes her school, all could be lost. Kara won't be able to finish her school, and none of them could get a job. What would happen to them?
- Why the worried look, Francesca?
A soft voice brought her back to reality. It was Gawent. He was standing on the pathway and Francesca passed him, without even noticing his presence. 
- Gawent? Hey... I'm sorry, didn't see you there.
- That's OK. You seem like you've got a lot on your mind right now...
- It's the... - Her desperate look wandered to the city market. - The prices went up again... It's the third time in five months... - Now she gazed into the pavement beneath her. 
- Yeah, I've noticed. Something is going on... On a higher level. 
She still wouldn't pick her head up, so he came closer and raised it with a gentle touch. Their eyes met and he noticed her body flickered.
- Everything is going to be just fine... 
- I am so worried. - Something in sweet and soft look on his face made her believe that everything will be fine. His blonde hair fluttered in slight breeze.
- You shouldn't be... - He removed his hand from under her chin, still looking at her with ocean blue eyes. - How's your dad doing? 
- He's OK. I guess... Yours?
- Still grieving for mother... 
- Sorry to hear that. Are you all right?
- She did her best in order to prepare me in psychological manner. Considering she was on the front line, battling the disease and helping the sick ones... I think she expected something like this to happen eventually. But... That's life. Hard and unfair...
- And sometimes cruel... - They shared a long and compassionate look. For the first time in a few months, she felt calm and peaceful. Reconciled with her destiny. - I should go... My dad would be worrying.
- Sure... Will be seeing you around. Tell Kaden I said hi.
- Didn't you just see him in class? 
- No, he's been absent for a few days now. He's got a lot of catching up to do.
- That's strange... I swear I saw him taking his books, but... Where would he go?
- That doesn't sound like Kaden, just to disappear like that. 
- I know... He must be with his buddy Matt. That guy can't sit still for a minute.
- Anyway, if you see him, tell him I said hi, and that I'll be glad to share notebooks with him.
- Will do. Bye.
- Bye. - He waved slightly and walked away. It took a moment for her to remember where she was headed. Kaden is in such a trouble, right now

Just in front of her building, there was Matt. When he noticed her approaching, a big grin started forming on his face. His eyes wandered up and down her body, and she regretted for wearing a dress that day.
- If you could only know how that green color looks good on you... It brings out your eyes...
- Shut up! 
- A bit hasty today? That's OK... I'm here for you baby. - He came a step closer to Francesca, and then up-righted his body, just to show how taller he was.
- I'm not your baby! Tell me where's Kaden? - She stared at him, with piercing green eyes.
- What? You want to talk about Kaden and not about us? - Again that grin and his look fell onto her legs. If there was a day she thought of a knee-long dress is short, this was it.
- I'm warning you... Now, tell me where's Kaden.
- Oh relax, I'm just joking... Honestly, Frankie, I don't know.
- You're just covering for him, right?
- I swear I don't know. - His pale hand went through his ginger hair.
- Fine! If you see him, tell him to come straight home.
- Anything for you...
She sighed with anger and stormed up the stairs into her building. Matt didn't hesitate to look after her, but as soon as she got out of sight, he left for the house. Kaden must be at the lab. What the hell was he thinking? He could get into a lot of toruble... Last few blocks, almost running, he reached the house. Carefully, without being seen, he slid inside. There was no sign of Kaden. He came out, not knowing where to look for him. Think like Kaden... Think like Kaden... How does a genius think? There was one place where he could be, but... They used to play there, on the highest building, in the center of the city, right on it's roof. It seemed like centuries to get to the top. A lot more than it seemed for him as a kid. Climbing up the ladder, he saw a figure shape. Someone was sitting on the ledge, staring at the horizon. 
- I've always wondered, is the sun more beautiful at dusk, or at dawn?
- What? 
Matt sat next to Kaden. The view from the highest building brought his child memories to life. Kaden seemed distant. His voice poetic.
- I've climbed down the stairs...
- And? - Matt waited with anticipation. He never had the guts to climb down.
- I've seen the furnace. - Kaden's gaze, was still pointed towards the line where sky and the land met. - I've seen it.
- Maybe the guy we saw, was a hopeless case... Maybe...
- No, Matt. I 've tracked the guards for a few days, and every person they caught... 
- Stop! I don't wanna hear it! - Matt screamed, and his eyes glistened from tears. He started walking towards the ladder.
- What?! - Kaden stood up and turned to him with a beastly look in his eyes. - You what? Then why the hell did you show that place to me? Why? It was a good life, living in ignorance!
- I know! But my sister... I dreamed her last night! Again! I dreamed her every night of this freakin' week! I see her in flames and she wants me to help her... Do you know what's that like?! Do you have any idea?!
- No! I don't think of my mother being burned in there! I don't think about how she felt! How her heart broke, when they took her away from us! Tell me, please! - Kaden was screaming at the top of his lungs. Heavy breathing fulfilled his chest. They stared at each other, like they're about to engage in a fight. With a first drop of rain that fell onto his cheek, Kaden collapsed, drowning in his tears. It was the first time Matt saw him in that condition. First time to see him cry. First time to hear his moans... He stood for a moment, letting the tears mix with rain on his face. Then he fell, too. Kaden's forehead sank into the ground, while his hands formed strong and tough fists. Knuckles white. He pounded the gravel beneath him. Minutes passed while only moans could be heard, and then suddenly Kaden stood up. He wiped the face, rubbing his eyes, looking like nothing happened. He tilted his head backwards, to let the rain wash all the dirt from his hair. After a cough, he went straight for the ladder, without any word, to climb down. His head was still peaking up the roof and he could see Matt's back, who sat still on the ground. Then he heard his weary voice.
- Dawn. I always thought it was more beautiful at dawn...


© 2012 Misty_Prophet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Okay, so it's taken me a few days to review. But here it goes so far. On the other two pieces I'll probably comment a little more, but this was first - and there is some proof reading I'll add as well.
The progression works well. Using the first chapters you've caught the readers attention and things start make sense when reading on (such as the starting scene with the mother). I do think, however that in the first scene you should place a little more attention onto the 'post-apocalypse' so that people aren't spending as long trying to figure it out. It's just so people can get a map in their head and continue confidently.
I think you should replace where you've used -dash speech with conventional 'Inverted commas' or "Speech Marks", but to give it the familiar claity of when speech is beginning and ending, mainly ending.
I do love the names you've used... I seem to already know who each of the characters are so far within only three chapters, which is great, cause even professional writers fail that, often. The setting works, and it's an individual take on this kind of concept. A wall that wont be escaped, speculation of what's on the outside and a corrupt internal government. Would like to find out more about the town, such as size and major features.
Your dialogue is working well too, you should keep a focus on making sure your characters can be differenciated - it works well. I would suggest using more paragraphs though, or separations - it just makes it more pleasing to eye.
As for proof reading - 'Reconciled with the destiny.' I think should be with 'her destiny'.
- 'Didn't you just saw him in class?' should be 'see him in class'
- 'Last few block' is missing an s at the end.
- '- What??' there is never any need to double up on punctuation.

Overall, I am rather liking it. So keep it up :D Hope this is helpful.

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

185 Views
1 Review
Added on January 29, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012


Author

Misty_Prophet
Misty_Prophet

Serbia



About
Hi, call me Jay :D I'm an uprising writer from Serbia and my favorite genre is thriller/horror. My favorite writer is Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Please read something of his, his writing style is am.. more..

Writing