Underneath plain sight

Underneath plain sight

A Chapter by Misty_Prophet
"

When the world around you crumbles, who would you save first?

"
Frankie couldn't move as she watched the test tube falling from her hands. It fell to the ground and broke into little pieces. Matt was still screaming.
- Speak to Kaden! He'll know what to do... Help me, Frankie! Help me! - Guards were dragging him away, down the hall. He was kicking and screaming, trying to break out of their firm grip. He disappeared behind big white doors at the end of the hallway.
- What are you doing here?
Frankie was pushed aside, as one of the lab technicians started collecting glass on the floor.
- You're lucky it was an empty tube, do you have any idea what would've happen if it wasn't? Hey, are you even listening to me?! You're not allowed to be here! I'm gonna have you punished... You got some explanation to do, young lady! Now go back to your work!
Frankie's eyes were pointed towards the floor the whole time. Something inside her crushed as she watched Matt being locked away. She will never see him again. He was annoying, narcissistic, self centered jackass, but... He was still some sort of a friend, in a world where that was the most precious thing. 
Listlessly she went back into the lab. She continued her practice, doing everything like a robot, just thinking about Matt and his words. Why does she need to speak with Kaden? How could Kaden know what to do?
At the end of the day, her professor and the lab manager asked if they could have a word with her. She was placed to sit in a metal chair, while they were left to stand. It felt like a trial of some sort.
- Young lady... I can call you Frankie, can I? - Her professor spoke in a mild voice.
- Yes, Mr. Carten.
- Well Frankie, do you know why are you here? In this institution?
- I'm here to study, as I'm going to be a doctor one day.
- Yes, exactly... And did we disturbed you in any way, or forbidden you to learn, or anything even similar to that?
- No, sir.
- Did we say that there was only one rule?
- Yes.
- And you remember what the rule said, right? -There was something like a smile on his face.
- Yes. It said that we shouldn't leave the lab at any point of time.
- Then why did you disobey? - His face gestures were annoying. He seemed as he was speaking to a child, not a future colleague.
- I heard a familiar voice, and I don't know what, but something dragged me out on the hallway, where I saw my friend being taken away.
- So, this guy... I believe Matt was his name...? - He looked at the lab manager, who nodded his head. He had a dark expression on his face, and the way he was standing with arms crossed on his chest, he seemed so... sinister. - He was your friend? Well, that explains your actions... Just a bit. Still you shouldn't have ignored our rule. You do realize it was wrong what you did? 
- Yes.
- And it won't happen again?
- No, sir.
- Excellent. You can go, I'm not gonna lower your grade...
Frankie stood up, and as she was leaving, professor coughed.
- There's just one more thing I need to ask you... Who is Kaden?
Frankie's blood froze. What if they take him to the interview, before she could hear what he knows? What if they already did that? What was Kaden involved in? She needed to know, and fast.
- Kaden is my brother.
- Oh, your brother...? And he is supposed to know what to do about Matt? Do you know what he meant by that?
- No sir. Matt and my brother were best friends, it could mean anything.
- Okay Frankie. You can go and get some rest. I understand that this was a big thing to see today. You don't have to come tomorrow, I'll excuse you. 
- Thank you sir.
He politely nodded, as she turned around to leave. Something was terribly wrong and she wanted to know what Kaden and Matt did. Matt didn't seemed sick at all. They took him for something else. Before even realizing, she was standing in front of her building. How fast did she walked? There was no sign of dad and Kara. They must have went for a walk.
Kaden was in his room, looking at the desert outside the city, from his window. She just stood there at the entrance in his room, staring at him. He looked back, and he could see something was wrong, but he couldn't say anything. They just stood there. Silently.
- Today, I had my practice and... And I saw them take... They took Matt away...
At first Kaden didn't even move. There was nothing to read from his face. Suddenly, he turned back to the window and whispered her to leave.
- He said I need to speak to you, and that you'll know what to do... Kaden, what did you do? He wasn't sick!
- Frankie leave! Now! - He turned around, with his eyes red and wet.
- No! I'm not leaving until you tell me! I'm your sister, what are you hiding?! - She poked him in the chest, and then he collapsed on his knees in front of her. 
- Leave... You'll be better if you don't know... - Tears were falling down his face.
- I'm your sister... I want to know. - She sat besides him.
- You'll hate me for the rest of your life...
- I could never hate you Kaden. Tell me what's wrong.
- You know the Porter's house...?
- The 'infected' one?
Kaden nodded. 
- It was never infected... Your lab is right under it. So is the large furnace... And they... They are getting rid of anyone who gets in their way. I'm starting to doubt that there is an infection. I don't think the virus is real...
- Wait, what...? Hold on, the furnace? You're saying that...? But the hospital?
- Have you ever been to the hospital? You'll never find someone who did... 
- And mom...?
- And now Matt... We can't help him...
Frankie was shocked. Her mind was fighting to grasp all the facts, while the memories continued to flow in front of her eyes. Her mother's face first, and everything came from that. It felt like her head was about to explode. The world dimmed, as she just wanted to scream. Tears broke out, and her muscles gave up. She just stretched out on the floor, feeling Kaden's arms around her. He hugged her, trying to calm her down, but there was no way to do it. She couldn't stop crying, and it hurt even more to realize Kaden went through this all alone. She hugged him back, and wished for this world to disappear in a second. It was evil, relentless and cold-hearted. It was hell on earth.


© 2012 Misty_Prophet


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this story and want to see more. You have a wonderful imagination.

It feels like it's being told by someone for whom English is not a first language? That's okay, though. It gives it an exotic feel.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
1 Review
Added on April 20, 2012
Last Updated on April 26, 2012


Author

Misty_Prophet
Misty_Prophet

Serbia



About
Hi, call me Jay :D I'm an uprising writer from Serbia and my favorite genre is thriller/horror. My favorite writer is Carlos Ruiz Zafón. Please read something of his, his writing style is am.. more..

Writing